DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanderlust_shot

Reactions
Hi, everyone.

My name is david
Im currently traveling in Bolivia ( the land where there are not drone regulations it all, expect for airports)

Im about to take a trip to one of the mountains here in la paz ( huayna potosi/ 6094m)
And i was wanting to do some shots of the top.

I was wondering if anyone had the chance to fly a mavic over 6000m

Or in high altitude in general
What yall did to keep the battery warm and all that,

Im planing to get to the summit 6094m and fly my drone from there.

The highest take off altitude for my was 4749m
Last week and the only problem that i got was my battery it only last me 15min

I will love some information about the topic

Thank yall

Reactions: fdominik
I doubt that many people have flown the M2 that high, so data may be limited. Few will even have flown it at 4800 m. The specified service ceiling is 6000 m so I'm sure it will fly at 6100 m, but the battery life will be poor.
Thank you!
Do you have any suggestions for the battery been cold!? I was thinking to get some hand warmers for it but i don’t know if that will be to hot !

I would talk to this guy, though he was closer to 4500 meters at take off.

Mt. Antero

Besides temperature, the problem at altitude is that air density is diminished. In the thinner air, the propellors have less to bite into and are unable to provide as much lift. The motors spin faster discharging batteries at a higher rate wasting energy as the props are more efficient in denser air at lower altitudes.

Blades with greater pitch help compensate but an optimum prop
could have greater diameter and more blade area as well. DJI makes high altitude props with increased pitch for the Inspire series.

04AMcY5.jpg

This would work nicely at 6km.

Preheat the battery as hot as possible, and cover it with closed cell foam or some sort of insulating layer.

Phantom props fit on a Mavic 2???
oo0c7ld.jpg

The M1/M2 bolt pattern is slightly smaller but with a little hand filing they'll bolt on. The props pilot on the motor shaft so they still stay centered regardless.

Mavic motor shafts are longer so on the props, some of them will need the center bore extended. I used a torx screwdriver with 3mm shaft as a reamer.

As far as battery temperatures are concerned... As long as the battery is warmer than 16C for take off, you should be OK. If it's below that, you'll get a warning about low battery temps.

When in flight, the craft draws current from the battery causing it to warm up. So, unless it's really cold, you'll be OK.

I've flown my M2 at temperatures as low as -25C. The battery managed to maintain a temperature of +21 C throughout the 20 minuted flight.

Reactions: Wanderlust_shot
Keep in mind that class A airspace starts at 18,000' MSL and you should not be flying in class A airspace anyway.

Where in 14 CFR Part 107 or Part 101 subpart E is sUAS flight restricted in Class A?

FWIW, at 18,000 MSL you transition to PCA (Positive Control Airpace) where no VFR traffic is allowed, only IFR. I ASSUME this would mean no drone flights above that altitude, at least not without prior permission from the Feds.

The Mavic 2 Pro has a 'Max Service Ceiling above Sea Level' specification of 6,000 metres (19,685 ft). At that height, with max. up-stick; the low air density, coupled with the ability of the mavic's motors to spin at their max. rate, and the pitch of the prop's pushing what air there is - all balances out to stop the Mavic going any higher.

Keep in mind that class A airspace starts at 18,000' MSL and you should not be flying in class A airspace anyway.
Yes thats a good point!
But in that area of bolivia planes don’t go...they will crash in to the mountains
FWIW, at 18,000 MSL you transition to PCA (Positive Control Airpace) where no VFR traffic is allowed, only IFR. I ASSUME this would mean no drone flights above that altitude, at least not without prior permission from the Feds.
thank yall!! But one of the good things here in bolivia is that there is not dron regulations and yes safty of the people is first... but bolivia is a small country and there is only 3 airports. And none of their flights go to that route because of the mountains.... they are to high some of the are over 6400.

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
And none of their flights go to that route because of the mountains.

Keep in mind that commercial aircraft typically cruise at FL290 (29,000'MSL) or higher so mountains are not a concern except during takeoff and landing. What governs the course of an IFR aircraft is its flight plan which is made up of points along the route that are defined by radio navaids. That is unless you have an assigned heading (vector from ATC) when in radar contact.

That might be true if 14 CFR 91 had general applicability to sUAS operations, but it does not. Part 107 explicitly calls out which elements of Part 91 apply, and 91.135 is not one of them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS