DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I become a better pilot? Open to your wisdom :)

dancreator

Reactions
Hi Everybody!
I've had the Mavic for almost 6 moths now and after my second flight and - first and only- crash I decided to thoroughly read the manual a couple of times, watched a lot of youtube videos and read many of the posts here. That has reduced the crashes to 0!
However, I'm not sure what else I could do to become a better pilot. I really feel confident now (after about 50 flights) when flying the mavic but I think I've reached a plateau and it still feels like I could maneuver better, have more control of it, etc.
What excervices, videos, reading material, do you recommend so that one can improve his drone piloting skills? :)
Thanks in advance!

Slalom between soft objects set 8-10 feet apart. Start in tripod mode, then progress to beginner mode, and so on. Just go slow and don't try to be cute, or your next post will probably say "Crashed my Mavic."

Practicing flying it backwards and sideways around obstacles to get used to being in awkward orientations and moving the sticks in the right direction. Practice moving around an object while keeping the camera on it. Practice tilting camera properly while moving. I've found things are much easier with the front sensors off, gives you more speed and consistent results from the controls, but definitely not for beginners. There's always things to improve!

-Joe

Reactions: danman999
Yup I second the sensors idea. Only because you have 50+ flights under your belt though. I agree that it is very easy to plateau as easy as they make it to fly nowadays. I just bought a second controller and am going to let my 6 year old have a go in tripod mode. I wouldn't normally let him drive my Traxxas truck, let alone fly anything lol... but it's just too easy with DJI sometimes.

If I am showing off to friends or family it is always in Sport (so no sensors) and very close to the ground. It takes skill and a LOT of practice (it's similar to race droning, just not as insanely fast). Start getting use to the idea of weaving through obstacles while in tripod, then normal, then turn off sensors, then sport. Finally get used to making height adjustments wile close to the ground. I'm not great at doing it backwards (close to the ground, fast, and avoiding obstacles), yet, but that's the next "trick" I want to become proficient in.

Just take it slow until you feel you've mastered each step. It will take many flights.

A Mavic in sport mode (with an accomplished pilot at the controls) is a sight to behold!

Fly with your eyes completely closed - only feeling for vibrations and listening for feedback sounds from your MP. Then, when you finally fly with your eyes open, you’ll be the best drone operator ever. Easily!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memotec