DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you tell what the Wind speed is like?

Ejp1288

Reactions
Is there anywhere on the RC that tells you the wind speed? I don't see any place for it. I know not to fly it in 20mph winds but I was wondering what your go-to way was to check wind?

EDIT: new question: Whar settings in UAVforecast matter much to you?

Last edited:
Is there anywhere on the RC that tells you the wind speed?
No.

but I was wondering what your go-to way was to check wind?
I check the current weather before heading outside to fly. And if you want to check the wind at your flying site, you can hover once your drone is up at the altitude you'll be flying and observe the angle the aircraft is tilting on the attitude indicator in DJI GO. If it's perfectly level, the winds are calm.

1548361987658.png

If you see something that looks like this, keep your drone close (or fly a different day):

1548362096205.png

I just use the trees and clouds as my guide. I also lower elevation if I receive a high wind warning from Go 4.

Last edited:
I use an app called 'UAV Forecast' ... It's good and fast at finding out where you are, and providing a summary of conditions on the ground. It also provides 33 ft, 100 ft, 250 ft, 500 ft etc. wind profiles and allows you to set max. wind speed according to your drone's spec's - to give you green (OK) or red (above spec'), indication of the different altitudes to give that 'indication' ... Can'r vouch for the accuracy as it is as good as the Met' service for your country/area - but here in the UK it's fairly good.
Other useful weather app's are 'Polar Pro' which also helps determine what AD filter you should use, and 'Ventusky' who provide a fairly good app' and an even better web based service via browser / Internet (Weather Forecast Maps).

I also used UAV Forecast, the Wind Profile give a great idea of winds aloft.
I also use a hand held weather station: Personal WX Station

Reactions: Gazmg and Ejp1288
I also used UAV Forecast, the Wind Profile give a great idea of winds aloft.
I also use a hand held weather station: Personal WX Station
I use something very similar - but have read so many stories on this Forum about guys fighting high winds at high altitudes - so it is useful to know if you are expecting the same winds up to 120 metres. It's interesting how it can change ... I'm looking at the Ventusky map of my area right now, and winds are light, but at 10 to 100 metres above ground, the winds are coming from the south, while at 250 metres, they are the same speed directly opposite!

Reactions: GregD
I use something very similar - but have read so many stories on this Forum about guys fighting high winds at high altitudes - so it is useful to know if you are expecting the same winds up to 120 metres. It's interesting how it can change ... I'm looking at the Ventusky map of my area right now, and winds are light, but at 10 to 100 metres above ground, the winds are coming from the south, while at 250 metres, they are the same speed directly opposite!

You are correct, that is why I also use the UAV Forecast app to check what the wind speeds are between me and the altitude I plan to fly. I also fly Revolution Kites and find the wind can change drastically from the ground to 15 - 30 meters like you said.

Reactions: Ejp1288
I use UAV Forecast for winds at different altitudes before take off. AirData produces some post flight wind charts that is pretty neat, to help you judge the conditions that you were flying in

AirData Capture.JPGAirData Capture2.JPG

Reactions: Gazmg
Is there anywhere on the RC that tells you the wind speed? I don't see any place for it.
Yes ... indirectly
Launch your drone and get up 50 ft or more and fly directly into the wind, noting your speed.
How much less than your still air top speed is this?
Or just see how fast your drone flies against the wind.
That's how fast it will come back if you end up downwind and that's all you need to know (apart from .. the wind will be stronger up higher)

I know not to fly it in 20mph winds but I was wondering what your go-to way was to check wind?
Feel the wind on your face and you get a good idea if it's light or strong, look at what's happening in the trees or the surface of large areas of water.
If you are flying on the coast, go to Marinetraffic.com and find a ship nearby, click on it and you get a lot of data including the actual windstrength and direction being recorded by that ship.
i-sVT46bd-M.png

i-4DF7trC-X3.jpg

EDIT: new question: What settings in UAVforecast matter much to you?
A forecast is just a forecast and could be very different from the actual wind at your flying site for lots of reasons.
Lots of parameters in the UAV forecast app are just filler and have no effect on your flying.
Particularly Cloud Cover, KP-Index, Visible Sats and Sats Locked

Last edited:
as others have stated on this thread you can observe the trees around you use apps have an anemometer or just see how the drone behaves in the air if it is a very strong wind you will get a warning message on you display the biggest problem is that sometimes you can start a flight and everything is fine and then half way through weather can change and the wind can suddenly pick up you then have to make a judgement call on whether to continue or not it is part of the fun of flying and it sure concentrates the mind

Yes ... indirectly
Launch your drone and get up 50 ft or more and fly directly into the wind, noting your speed.
How much less than your still air top speed is this?
Or just see how fast your drone flies against the wind.
That's how fast it will come back if you end up downwind and that's all you need to know (apart from .. the wind will be stronger up higher)

Feel the wind on your face and you get a good idea if it's light or strong, look at what's happening in the trees or the surface of large areas of water.
If you are flying on the coast, go to Marinetraffic.com and find a ship nearby, click on it and you get a lot of data including the actual windstrength and direction being recorded by that ship.
i-sVT46bd-M.png

i-4DF7trC-X3.jpg

A forecast is just a forecast and could be very different from the actual wind at your flying site for lots of reasons.
Lots of parameters in the UAV forecast app are just filler and have no effect on your flying.
Particularly Cloud Cover, KP-Index, Visible Sats and Sats Locked

Thanks! So I try to stay well below the 20mph wind, but should I also not fly when the gusts are 20mph? I am not sure the difference between the two.

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks! So I try to stay well below the 20mph wind, but should I also not fly when the gusts are 20mph? I am not sure the difference between the two.
20 mph is 20 mph whether it's a steady wind or the speed of the strongest gusts.

I use an app called 'UAV Forecast' ... It's good and fast at finding out where you are, and providing a summary of conditions on the ground. It also provides 33 ft, 100 ft, 250 ft, 500 ft etc. wind profiles and allows you to set max. wind speed according to your drone's spec's - to give you green (OK) or red (above spec'), indication of the different altitudes to give that 'indication' ... Can'r vouch for the accuracy as it is as good as the Met' service for your country/area - but here in the UK it's fairly good.
Other useful weather app's are 'Polar Pro' which also helps determine what AD filter you should use, and 'Ventusky' who provide a fairly good app' and an even better web based service via browser / Internet (Weather Forecast Maps).

I use the same app, even tells you if you're in or near a NFZ.

If you hear the volume of the spinning props change quickly while just hovering, you know it’s windy too. It’s pretty obvious even when far up and out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329