DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you tell what the Wind speed is like?

Is there anywhere on the RC that tells you the wind speed? I don't see any place for it. I know not to fly it in 20mph winds but I was wondering what your go-to way was to check wind?

EDIT: new question: Whar settings in UAVforecast matter much to you?

9430DFA8-CED5-486D-83AD-E9F2F95E6E08.jpeg

Reactions: rfc and Porky
Thanks! So I try to stay well below the 20mph wind, but should I also not fly when the gusts are 20mph? I am not sure the difference between the two.
A gust is an inconsistent wind. It can be your worst enemy when flying and when trying to land. Gusts can turn a vertical descent into a nightmare. The way to tell if it's gusty near the ground is to use your anemometer and also feel on your body if the wind is starting and stopping in quick bursts.

Personally, I would rather fly in a steady wind than a gusty day because gusts are unpredictable.

Reactions: old man mavic
A gust is an inconsistent wind. It can be your worst enemy when flying and when trying to land. Gusts can turn a vertical descent into a nightmare. The way to tell if it's gusty near the ground is to use your anemometer and also feel on your body if the wind is starting and stopping in quick bursts.

Personally, I would rather fly in a steady wind than a gusty day because gusts are unpredictable.
good advise gusts are the enemy because they are so random and unpredictable

Reactions: Former Member
Is there anywhere on the RC that tells you the wind speed? I don't see any place for it. I know not to fly it in 20mph winds but I was wondering what your go-to way was to check wind?

EDIT: new question: Whar settings in UAVforecast matter much to you?
I downloaded a couple of useful APPs that check wind speed and direction. Drone Buddy & WindCompass. Drone Buddy is more comprehensive. Each will provide the info you’re looking for. And my info tells me not to fly when the wind or wind gusts are 22mph or greater. However, I wouldn’t fly at wind speeds over 10mph just to be safe.

I also use the UAV Forcaste app and I like it. I do wish it told me where it gets it's readings from. 5 miles away? 2 miles away? 10 miles away. That would be a handy bit of information. But all that said, watch what's going on around you. Look at the highest point around you. Are there trees on that point? Are they calm or swaying. Then I look at my app and see what they call for at 300ft/91.5 m or 400ft/122m and make my decision from there. If you watch your UAV as it climbs and it's going astray from where you are trying to fly..... check to see if it's going downwind. If it is you may want to reconsider. Use your own judgement.

One method you don't want to use is the wet finger method. Wet you finger and stick it out
into the wind. This method will get you into big trouble. Many other ways to see if its to windy.

Happy flying to you.

I also use the UAV Forcast app and I like it. I do wish it told me where it gets it's readings from. 5 miles away? 2 miles away? 10 miles away.
It's probably using forecast data rather than live observations of actual wind speeds.
The spread of forecast sites will probably vary with population density.
In heavily populated areas they might be close together but out of town, much further apart.

Reactions: clovis09
I also use the UAV Forcaste app and I like it. I do wish it told me where it gets it's readings from. 5 miles away? 2 miles away? 10 miles away. That would be a handy bit of information.
It displays data from Dark Sky. You can find a list of their data sources here. None of the data is coming from weather stations that report in real-time, so I wouldn't expect accurate current conditions at your flying location of choice (especially wind data). Their system is amazing for hyperlocal precipitation forecasts, but not so much for current conditions since they get data from NOAA (local airports).

It's a good idea to get an anemometer, and not only use it as an absolute indicator, but as a training guide. If your anemometer is telling you that the windspeed is 10 mph, then have a look around, see how the (different types of) trees are swaying, how the gulls are flying, how fast that plastic bag is rolling across the park land etc. If you make a habit of doing a measurement and an observation, then you'll find that it won't be long and you'll be able to estimate wind-speed quite accurately, just by having a look around ...

It displays data from Dark Sky. You can find a list of their data sources here. None of the data is coming from weather stations that report in real-time, so I wouldn't expect accurate current conditions at your flying location of choice (especially wind data). Their system is amazing for hyperlocal precipitation forecasts, but not so much for current conditions since they get data from NOAA (local airports).
Good to know. Thank you msinger.

Bill

all good what others have said above. buttt.... it can be dead calm at ground level and ripping 100ft or higher up. watch clouds, but most importantly watch your speed. the mavic pro can basically do 35-40 in sport mode no winds. if you are doing 30 maxed out in sport you've got wind so pay attention. again if you're hauling the mail 40mph or more you got a tail wind, better keep that in mind on the way back! watch and read wx discussion on nws for winds aloft as well.

Just one empirical rule, that I found: if mavic props rotating fast in the wind while I laying out legs and preparing to fly (powered off) - this wind is too strong for good p-mode flight and smooth video.

You all make it so hardDo it the easy way ? I’m sure some of you need to request an authorization from a LAANCE provider if you are in certain types of airspace, right? I use Kittyhawk. As soon as you login you get all the wind speed info you need. Even if you don’t need LAANCE in your area of operations, Kittyhawk is good to have on hand. Here’s a picture. Try it you will like it skydog out
47D6781B-FCA4-40D1-B884-21A0C7C7E946.png

I use Ventusky before even charging the batteries, as well as local govco forecast for other weather conditions.
Ventusky can look into the coming days and give all sorts of weather info, wind speed at 10m and 100m above ASL is an ok spread for flying. (They show way various alts up to where the big aluminium tunes fly too. )
Our max legal alt to fly drones here is 120m (400’).

They have an app to for easier mobile use.

If I’m on site and don’t have internet (often when ‘outback’) I just observe from the ground, tree tops or clouds, and watch attitude pitch and drone speeds at directions.
Of course the Go4 wind warning is a pretty good giveaway too :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise