DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many 107 Licensed Users are prevented from taking off

Right - and when you click "OK", the "cannot take off" message doesn't change?

View attachment 80738
No it never changes even though it says "Unlocking successful". If it truly was successful the red should change to green and GPS would replace the text. I realize you know all of that already, I am just trying to answer your question adequately.

Reactions: AngelAndres
No it never changes even though it says "Unlocking successful". If it truly was successful the red should change to green and GPS would replace the text. I realize you know all of that already, I am just trying to answer your question adequately.

So you click the OK button and then the unlock dialog box disappears, leaving the status as still "cannot take off"? It's time to look at the DAT file if that's the case.

Pleas stop circumventing the rules - they are there for a reason and flying outside them just make it harder for the rest of us who fly legally.

The mass drone protest scheduled for a major airport in the UK is another example of people with little skin in the game behaving in a way that makes the rest of us look irresponsible.
I am not circumventing any rules or fly outside of the law and dont appreciate you posting that I do. Geofencing is not required by the FAA or anyone else that I know of. I have NoLimitDronez on my M2P and could set it down in the middle of a runway at Ohare Airport and take off no problem. Does that mean I will, of course not. I was flying it in my own backyard when I first purchased it and DJI's geofencing allowed it. Since then it has changed four times and now I live in a restricted area and cant even start the props inside my house (where the FAA has no jurisdiction by the way). I could now fly in my own backyard again but still dont. I follow the FAA's rules and just refuse to be told what I can and cannot do with a piece of property I own (not DJI), and have improper guidelines forced on me by a Chinese Monopoly. If all drone manufacturers were doing it and "forced geofencing" was the law I could see your point. But that isnt the case and its posters like you that keep me from participating here much. You know what happens when you assume...
I have three areas within 5 miles from me that DJI's geofencing is wrong. One wants an unlock code for a area around a old grass airstrip that hasnt been used for crop dusting in many decades and the FAA has no restrictions there. As someone else here mentioned, I had no idea of the rules and regulations assosiated with drones or all the places you are not allowed to fly when I purchased my M2P. Its not in any literature or even talked about before the sale. I purchased it for photography and after the sale find out most the places I want to use it they are not allowed. If I would have known of all the restrictions and how little places there is to fly it, I would not have bought it. I now fly sub 250 quads because I have found actual flying a quad (no gps, auto hold, geofence crap, ect) quite enjoyable. I can fly it in the park by my house and places where I could never fire up the M2P. Now when I do fly the M2P it feels more like driving a tractor versus a sports car. It just dosent handle like the little FPV quads do. I will say the M2P holds rock solid for taking pics wherever I "float" it.

If you read the original post, the OP was having trouble with DJI's forced geofencing when they had LAANC clearance. They also asked twice how many here have had the same problem and only a couple replied to the actual post. I am quite familiar with the geofencing problems so I posted to help the OP out. You will notice that I also followed the forum rules (without forum fencing) and did not discuss how they can solve the problem here, I sent a PM.
They were not asking advice on why they couldnt take off or how to fly legally, they seem to have that under control or would not have LAANC clerance. Most of this thread has nothing to with answering the original post and there is nothing illegal about removing the forced geofencing. Quit assuming that being able to make the proper choice as a PIC is breaking the law!

Most of this thread is why I dont come here much (or maybe its because Im out breaking the law)...

No. The problem is the random progression of this discussion.
I meant to say, an exam, or at least notification of the exam before you can buy, and the notification explains all that a future pilot can expect to encounter.

[Rude comment removed by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s try to stay on topic. Personal statements will result in closure of a potentially very useful thread. Thanks.

I am now at wits end. Cannot take off it is not the drone it is the DJI go app. I have bought an Autel evo but its unlevel horizen cannot be corrected. How many 107 operators are prevented from doing legitimate jobs because of this. I would willingly and love to spend necessary mony to get Mavic 2 pro, but fear I will not be able to take off. a,.Can anyone recommend drone with iris control and no GEO fencing. The Anaffi does not meet the target neither does the Yuneek H +. Would love to know how many 107 operators are affected by DJI GEO fencing
Litchi

I am now at wits end. Cannot take off it is not the drone it is the DJI go app. I have bought an Autel evo but its unlevel horizen cannot be corrected. How many 107 operators are prevented from doing legitimate jobs because of this. I would willingly and love to spend necessary mony to get Mavic 2 pro, but fear I will not be able to take off. a,.Can anyone recommend drone with iris control and no GEO fencing. The Anaffi does not meet the target neither does the Yuneek H +. Would love to know how many 107 operators are affected by DJI GEO fencing

Note, he also wants a drone with a camera that has an adjustable aperture. My Spark and Mavic Pro camera’s have fixed apertures and only allow adjusting shutter speed and ISO. I don’t know which DJI drones (if any) have a camera with an adjustable aperture, so I can’t help with this.

I have not had any problems with geo zones since I know how to unlock them when they pop up. I assume the PIC having problems can too. He should read the manual and/or Google how to do this. For example:

Also, we have to check TFRs during which we can’t fly regardless of what the DJI Go 4 app says.

Why would anyone buy a product that prevents you from flying? Buy another brand for sure; there is nothing more irritating than geo fencing not letting you fly in an area where you are allowed to- It is why I got my Part 107 and am mostly buillding/flying racing zones in my pasture AND within 5 miles of an airport AND I don't have to notify them!

Could you kindly explain where I would find the DAT file. I was under the impression that because no actual flight took place that there would be no digital record of any use referring to the issue. That would be great if I'm wrong.
So you click the OK button and then the unlock dialog box disappears, leaving the status as still "cannot take off"? It's time to look at the DAT file if that's the case.

Pleas stop circumventing the rules - they are there for a reason and flying outside them just make it harder for the rest of us who fly legally.

The mass drone protest scheduled for a major airport in the UK is another example of people with little skin in the game behaving in a way that makes the rest of us look irresponsible.

The DJI GEO FENCE system is not part of the Rule System. You're mixing systems and terms much like comparing apples to mudholes.

Going around the DJI GEO FENCE is in NO WAY breaking a rule/law/regulation. It's no different than purchasing and using another brand of aircraft to fly in the exact same area/time.

Could you kindly explain where I would find the DAT file. I was under the impression that because no actual flight took place that there would be no digital record of any use referring to the issue. That would be great if I'm wrong.

The txt log is only recorded when the aircraft takes off, but the DAT file is started on power up, and continues until power down.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Awesome, thanks for the link. I will work on it and post it here in this thread. Hopefully you will be able to make some sense out of it. Thanks again.
The txt log is only recorded when the aircraft takes off, but the DAT file is started on power up, and continues until power down.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

I'm very new to the whole DJI scene but do think that once you are officially certified then you should be able to permanently override the DJI lockout controls and limits (warnings still good so long as they can be bypassed as required), having completed the full course(s) to get certified you are fully aware of all rules\requirements for a planning\completing a flight (including gaining any pre-authorisations from official organisations) and fully accountable for responsibility of that. Being certified should you choose to breach these regs and get caught would expect the penalties to be much higher than a noob who made a silly error.

For a less experienced person (such as myself still at the moment) who may not know any better sometimes the controls are actually a good thing to stop them becoming targets of the law through lack of knowledge or by accident of not checking properly on a zone and helps to educate.

I think that legally its a dubious place DJI is in, you may be in a place to sue DJI should you be on a paid job and have all appropriate approvals from regulatory bodies but are then unable to fly due to problems with the DJI systems, these systems are not a legal requirement and are being forced upon you through no official legal route (although i'm sure DJI have a whole bunch of fine print to protect themselves from such an event making it extremely difficult).

I'm very new to the whole DJI scene but do think that once you are officially certified then you should be able to permanently override the DJI lockout controls and limits (warnings still good so long as they can be bypassed as required), having completed the full course(s) to get certified you are fully aware of all rules\requirements for a planning\completing a flight (including gaining any pre-authorisations from official organisations) and fully accountable for responsibility of that. Being certified should you choose to breach these regs and get caught would expect the penalties to be much higher than a noob who made a silly error.

DJI is merely protecting their best interests by putting "Training Wheels" on their aircraft. It's a great idea from a Corp standpoint. Our industry has an abundance of idiots who either know nothing about regulations or know about them and chose to operate well outside of them. DJI is doing their best to keep their name/brand out of the negative spotlight. Just like TESLA is doing everything they can to protect their name/brand in Self Driving auto accidents.

If you're going to operate as a professional you have several options:

• a) Buy consumer grade DJI and either learn how to jump through the hoops or modify the aircraft yourself to remove the restrictions. DJI Restrictions are NOT LEGALLY BINDING RESTRICTIONS.

• b) Buy an Enterprise level DJI aircraft and if your uses meet their criteria you can get QEP unlocking for long periods of time. Lot's of "ifs" there though.

• c) buy non-DJI aircraft. There are many MANY other types of sUAS on the market with no such restrictions and there is also the Build It Yourself option where you pick the parts and build a system custom to your needs.

For a less experienced person (such as myself still at the moment) who may not know any better sometimes the controls are actually a good thing to stop them becoming targets of the law through lack of knowledge or by accident of not checking properly on a zone and helps to educate.

BINGO! I also think that our training/certification requirements need to be enacted to Point of Sale rather than hoping and praying the new owner has the will to start researching sUAS rules & regulations. We need to educate our first time users on what the laws are and HOW to get more information. Every little bit helps...

I think that legally its a dubious place DJI is in, you may be in a place to sue DJI should you be on a paid job and have all appropriate approvals from regulatory bodies but are then unable to fly due to problems with the DJI systems, these systems are not a legal requirement and are being forced upon you through no official legal route (although i'm sure DJI have a whole bunch of fine print to protect themselves from such an event making it extremely difficult).

Sue? Seriously? GEO FENCING is a big BIG selling point and on their literature. You didn't have to buy a system with GEO FENCING and you did so under your own free will. The very mention of "Suing a manufacturer for something that was in place, advertised, and well noted when you bought it "is a horrible idea. Being "Law Suit Happy" is a problem with our society these days. You bought it like that ....

DJI is merely protecting their best interests by putting "Training Wheels" on their aircraft. It's a great idea from a Corp standpoint. Our industry has an abundance of idiots who either know nothing about regulations or know about them and chose to operate well outside of them. DJI is doing their best to keep their name/brand out of the negative spotlight. Just like TESLA is doing everything they can to protect their name/brand in Self Driving auto accidents.

The whole point of 'Training Wheels' is that you can permanently take them off once you are capable without them, DJI have left no option to remove the 'Training Wheels' no matter how proficient you are.

Sue? Seriously? GEO FENCING is a big BIG selling point and on their literature. You didn't have to buy a system with GEO FENCING and you did so under your own free will. The very mention of "Suing a manufacturer for something that was in place, advertised, and well noted when you bought it "is a horrible idea. Being "Law Suit Happy" is a problem with our society these days. You bought it like that ....

I don't mean for the fact that the GEO Fence is there as it's fully explained and expected but for the fact that despite following the correct methods to unlock it sometimes doesn't work (based on what I've read here not from experience) even when all the boxes are ticked to meet the critera and the mapping isn't in line with the official legally defined areas so you may not actually need any authorisation but DJI say you do, if you're going to enforce such a solution to the levels they are doing it needs to be reliable, accurate and if it isn't there should be some penalty in place for the supplier\manufacturer if it affects someones business.

As @BigAl07 recommended above, best to have a nonDJI branded bird along as a backup, in case the DJI method isn't working, or is interfering with your legal flight! The DJI aircraft is likely still the best tool for the job, so keep it as your primary, but be ready with a nonDJI alternative, just in case. That's the professional solution, instead of a lawsuit for lost income, which will go nowhere!

Reactions: BigAl07
One point: while it takes 2-3 days in my experience, you can obtain a 30 day long and renewable LAANC clearance through the FAA’s DroneZone for a large area. I have one for my main practice area, about 4 square miles, and it’s pretty painless to obtain. On the renewal you only have to change the dates. FAA will send emails with your approval and also to warn when your clearance is expiring.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid