DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Exceed Max Altitude for Mountain Flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems some Chinese guys know the secret!!!
vgQkQJpDViIau5ZvpOe8tyrQhgN0YDGYmt9ZWF3gzvQU-CwBPLs3mmJkiYUvdNleTbGkThv-7YU2Lk4wtgVAONogy8-KU8LJxOzN1rFa2xBFBxNrOWCEFbZ4XyhazehOWwDKsw9ttpCXeLa8q9oNdD9YjTv0ivrDeaB6Lsy8DBpoPTJZer5VLrdIQwZsE-f-zlGZigPJdYLv9m0QAWD10prgkk4CVyEqONexIlNrCc8zjn32o9bgg4Hk_JLn3mQiUMVwiyNVBfi4FVFGPcw80yUkF7waUjEGUNj0hDhGFJglX0bPg8t6UmkS4NImb6zmV1y-inwSxsAw7PG4tNKMAXkNeUPyAFxsMa-E3zn6uXyQNJbO2mTpYiOi1dfgobLXiA-v2DEExwiKwhNpsr8VNXqjO08ay6K3Kw0ee3pMyu5VR2k7OppNKIyNXJCYvUfXoGzHoZGn8ywffXNnbye0Ol0mrxqRPCbtnchmZdZ5243gdmAtYcrFc6T2eVHR4_ERy_SolO15Yotcpkgo9co-69B2rlHsAHmsN6MDKQYQpq7ogpFax606NNhudRaN1lgfn1vnsv8TdRcRYm2VipWX2T7gaIx-Itm1MCKBP9VwBQkt_0bxu1y6A7SwKodrQJfxgA1C1SXAzUafMEBp8p_SKhbmdbGlR3ZCtt47KYG5HQ=w2059-h1159-no
Notice the drone is in "Landing" mode (and the cancel (X) is present) , which clearly it is not descending and has over half battery life left so it's not being forced to land. Perhaps the hack has to do with the ATOP restriction being lifted while in that mode?

Hmm. What about setting the RTH altitude to something above 500m?

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Maybe we can get DJI to make a "Colorado" version --- that would work!

I do beleive they can and have made custom firmware without the 500m limit for say someone who is doing tower or building inspections. They folks may need to go as high as 2000-3000 feet.

I do beleive they can and have made custom firmware without the 500m limit for say someone who is doing tower or building inspections. They folks may need to go as high as 2000-3000 feet.
So where and when can we get our hands on that firmware?

I have only read about it. I think you must contact DJI for it.

I think DJI putting altitude limits on quads is stupid. At the end of the day, the pilot is responsible for how it's flown.

I would be pissed if I bought a Corvette and had to contact GM for special firmware to make it go over 85.

Honestly I dont think those are 4000 meters. 2 minutes of ascent only?
Whats the rate of ascent of the Mavic?

Based on the video is doing 33 meters per second ascent, is it possible?

I have only read about it. I think you must contact DJI for it.

I think DJI putting altitude limits on quads is stupid. At the end of the day, the pilot is responsible for how it's flown.

I would be pissed if I bought a Corvette and had to contact GM for special firmware to make it go over 85.
I agree. I'm going to contact DJI about this.

Reactions: Xanth
What is DJI's reasoning for the 500m ATOP on the Mavic but not on the Phantoms? If it were purely regulatory one would assume both would be affected, yeah?

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

All phantoms that run on an app have the same 500M limitation... you need to go Phantom 2 or older... or have a NAZA controller in a self built quad...

The Mavic does a max of 5 m/s ascent in sport mode. The video shows about 80 seconds to get through the clouds = 400 meters... I think the dude added a zero... accidentally of course.

Reactions: ggessel

Again, that video is fake, it came out very early in the pre-order buzz of Mavic Pro, the numbers don't add up at all, and the video came from a GoPro camera.

As for the screenshot, is that RPM figure real? That looks about 6x what I usually see on a Mavic Pro controller. Given all the other items people have mentioned, I think it's a fake too.

The consequences of crashing in the park are not the same as the consequences of crashing into an inaccessible mountain side - and you need to actually recover the thing for DJI Care to work.

Park flying is learning. Mountain flying is living. And the 4K video is breathtaking. The other day, what looked like a huge black eagle dropped in and just watched. Talk about high-risk... One more reason to have the sport mode switch within easy reach.

As for DJI Care, that's why I keep the Marco Polo fully charged. With 10 days and enough rope I think I can get most anywhere on my mountain. (I just probably wouldn't.) Maybe I could hang a hook from my Vision+.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The video footage appears to be sped up during ascent.

Vehicle manufacures _do_ limit speed on vehicles for liability reasons. It's based on the tire rating. Just FYI, the Corvette does not have a limiter as it's tires are rated higher then the top speed of the vehicle.

It's about liability and over-sight.

Reactions: cobra46
Did you try?
They are two different things. You are speaking to a person at DJI that did not understand your question.

There is a setting for the max altitude. It _cannot_ be set higher than 500m.

DJI is telling you about turning off beginner mode.

They are two different things. You are speaking to a person at DJI that did not understand your question.

There is a setting for the max altitude. It _cannot_ be set higher than 500m.

DJI is telling you about turning off beginner mode.
See post above

The rep said the Max Flight Distance toggle switch controls both set max altitude and max radial distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic