DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I can't reach my bird anymore

lookout

Reactions
I got MP1 out after not flying for awhile and of course recharged the batteries and all.

Tried to take out the yaw drift by doing a imu calibration. Then the gimbal starts shaking. So I do a gimbal calibration. Didn't help. Replaced the ribbon and got the gimbal going again.
Did some test flight after that and the camera working ok again.

But the bird is acting strange. Had it take off and it was acting like it was hung in ground effect. And it was wanting to land while hovering or try to lift off while hovering. Then when I wanted to land it wasn't landing itself. I had to manually land it. Then when it did land, it had the props spinning idle, like before takeoff and then I had to manually shut off the props by pushing down on the stick.

Turned it off and back on and it boots up. The lights come on, the gimbal dances, the song sings but the FC can't reach it. The wifi doesn't show up. The miniUSB on the side shows up and disappears, with windows connect and disconnect tone every two seconds, but can't even reach it with SuperPatcher and do a DUMLdore adb session. When I turn it off the one light on top flashes on the battery like it's having trouble telling the bird to shut off.

I'm afraid something has gone wrong with my bird.

Last edited:
Maybe post the flight log, it could give a clue as to what was going on.

Check section 3 here to get the TXT file and upload to phantomhelp (or use airdata if preferred), then post a link to the report here . . .

The better forum to post this is in the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance section.

Maybe a mod can move this there.

@lookout just a tag so you can find your post ok.
The analysts will find your flight log here easier and be able to check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Moving to correct section 👍

As far as how it was flying could be reviewed, from the logs. But as far as whether the board is toasty somewhere and maybe it won't be flying again is another matter. So that would be two different things. Trying to re-pair the RC and the AC right now would probably be a bad idea.

I noticed something else. The way the flight shows up on iOS verses how it looks on Android was rather odd. Android seemed to not show movement just one move here and then another move there. I'm going to have to maybe put some of the log files (I had several quick test flights) on iOS to see if it differs from the cusp drawings I'm getting on Android.

It may take me awhile to sort through the log files and maybe use csvviewer, but that'll take some time.

I read on an older thread somewhere about how doing a imu calibration on phantom 4s caused the gimbal to go screwy afterwards. Not sure if this is true on mavs, as when I did one before I don't remember any problems.

Maybe post the flight log, it could give a clue as to what was going on.

Check section 3 here to get the TXT file and upload to phantomhelp (or use airdata if preferred), then post a link to the report here . . .

The better forum to post this is in the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance section.

Maybe a mod can move this there.

@lookout just a tag so you can find your post ok.
The analysts will find your flight log here easier and be able to check it out.
Doesn't the online analysis thing only pick up on a limited number of readings on a free account versus a paid account? It can tell you things like which way the wind was blowing while you flying in another direction.

It may take me awhile to sort through the log files and maybe use csvviewer, but that'll take some time.

I wouldn't worry about the CSV reader side of things, that can take a while to understand all the data and see in graphs etc.
Just the simple phantomhelp link or airdata link (or just the TXT file posted here as an attachment).
Let the experts here take a look for you, they know how to disseminate all that stuff :)

Doesn't the online analysis thing only pick up on a limited number of readings on a free account versus a paid account? It can tell you things like which way the wind was blowing while you flying in another direction.

Airdata ??
Yes I think so, but some usually check things that aren't on the free version with their accounts, so again no need to go to too much trouble, just the TXT file or either link.

I wouldn't worry about the CSV reader side of things, that can take a while to understand all the data and see in graphs etc.
Just the simple phantomhelp link or airdata link (or just the TXT file posted here as an attachment).
Let the experts here take a look for you, they know how to disseminate all that stuff :)

Airdata ??
Yes I think so, but some usually check things that aren't on the free version with their accounts, so again no need to go to too much trouble, just the TXT file or either link.
I uploaded a flight to airdata once awhile ago. It was not that big of a flight and it was like all of our agents are assisting paid users. When we‘ve freed up resources somewhere we‘ll get back to yours and it’ll eventually get processed.

Core board failure?

Seems odd that this all occurred after just sitting somewhere and no use. I can understand some battery issues from storage, but storing the aircraft and then having these kinds of issues seems odd.

Reactions: umanbean
Hmm...I plugged into the PC and ran Assistant 2, and after connect and disconnect a few times, it came to life in Assistant 2. Had the RNDIS address so, I pulled out the RC out and we had a connection. Don't really know if Assistant 2 brought it back to life, but under DUMLdore it showed I had .300 that SP uses when it does it's thing. So I haven't updated to the latest .500 afterwards.

But I took it without turning it off and ran outside with the RC in one hand and the AC in the other hand, and it flew. So at least it is flying again. Didn't want to have to go through resoldering everything on the core board. But this time I manually brought it down to land, and it was still spinning at idle. I just let it do its' thing sitting there idle for a moment or two and it decided to spin back up faster and take off on its' own. Did that a couple of times and I had the battery at about 10% and the last time it landed, it finally shut off like it is supposed to.

Seems odd that this all occurred after just sitting somewhere and no use. I can understand some battery issues from storage, but storing the aircraft and then having these kinds of issues seems odd.
I have so many records on test flights that I forgot I had flown it about a week ago after not flying it awhile and it was fine. So that's when I brought it out. But then after I did a IMU is when things went weird.

So, if it was flying fine, what was the reason for the IMU calibration?

From the way the thing is acting, I'm going to guess that something happened to the downward sensors. I was going ATTI mode there for a moment, and no indication I can tell that I was going to go to OPTI. And then it finally jumped over to GPS mode.

OK I think I may have found why the thing quits talking. It is when I went into DJI Assistant 2 and tried to calibrate the downward vision sensors and/or the gimbal from there. It gets to the last step in the tutorial and tries to start calibrating. Then it says something about frame error. Then it tells you to reboot the AC. And when you do then it tells you to make sure the RC is connected. You connect the RC and nothing happens. You connect the AC and it connects/disconnects from windows a hundred times but never comes up. So the bird is down again until I can get it back somehow. Or however it was that I brought it back the first time.

Do I need the RC and the AC connected to the PC at the same time? Even though the RC and the AC aren't talking to each other?

Save some coin and start looking at a new bird. Something to fly while you screw around with the old one. Lots to choose from. Good luck

Even on the DJI forums.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78