DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Illegal Flight Over Stadium

It does seem very non-chalant. But, think about this, there is nothing illegal about posting the video on you tube. The video does not show the pilot. How would FBI ever prove the YT account holder ever had remote control of the flight? When there is no drone, no witness and no evidence who was pilot, there is no case.
I believe this is why every FAA letter following up on a video asks first for an admission you were in control of flight. Because the video alone proves nothing unless it shows your face with remote in hand.

Not sure if you read through this post in full, or a fair amount of the YT comments, but if he owns the channel, he has virtually admitted he conducted the flight.
The type of aircraft, basically acknowledging he was the pilot, lots of little comments only the pilot would know, how he didn't know (or care) about the rules, many, many nonchalant replies as to his lack of concern of getting caught, and now even posting how to best take advantage of the new doorbell cam footage of the authorities on his doorstep.
He's incriminated himself so much it'd be fairly easy for authorities to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
I suppose he didn't make these comments under miranda, could that be used in the US ?

Can confirm, fourteen days after the initial flight and thirteen days after posting this still exists.

As a side note, I have to say after having watched some of the other videos on the channel they look like they were shot by someone who was very drunk at the time, especially the first few. I really, really, really hope no one paid for those to be made.

Not sure if you read through this post in full, or a fair amount of the YT comments, but if he owns the channel, he has virtually admitted he conducted the flight.
The type of aircraft, basically acknowledging he was the pilot, lots of little comments only the pilot would know, how he didn't know (or care) about the rules, many, many nonchalant replies as to his lack of concern of getting caught, and now even posting how to best take advantage of the new doorbell cam footage of the authorities on his doorstep.
He's incriminated himself so much it'd be fairly easy for authorities to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
I suppose he didn't make these comments under miranda, could that be used in the US ?
Good point. No, I have not read all the comments. I agree that an admission to ownership and operation of the drone in comments posted by the YT account holder, and revelation of details only pilot would know, could make big difference especially in context of FAA civil case for reckless endangerment as opposed to criminal case prosecuted in federal court. The burden of proof in civil case is more likely than not (51% probability+) vs the standard of beyond reasonable doubt in criminal case. Its kind of improper to put a number on "beyond reasonable doubt" but many would say its like 95+%.

Miranda warnings (right to remain silent, right to consult an attorney, etc.) must only be given if a suspect is "in custody" and not free to leave. So, when the FBI agents come to the guy's door and ask may we talk to you, the guy can say no and close door or he can say okay and voluntarily answer questions.

Comments posted on YT channel are freely made and matters of public record. So any incriminating comment could likely be used so long as its tied to the defendant. (Remember, its possible for someone to steal laptop or log in credentials and post material so the comment must be tied to the YT channel owner).

The importance of proving the controller was in the hands of the defendant at the time of flight was brought home to me when I studied the court record in a case filed by the city of Seattle against a guy who crashed a drone over a parade. They had a photo of the guy struggling with person trying to get his drone back before the police arrived and seized it but that was not enough. They examined the SD card and found an image of a parade goer which appeared to be taken when the drone took-off. The woman was posing for the camera. The police did a reverse image search on social media and found the woman. They then called her and she said yes I was there, and yes that was my friend who was flying the drone when it took off. Of course, there is a little more to it but my impression was this was important to authenticate video and prove who was flying at time of crash even though there was other circumstantial evidence including the guy's own admission that he at least owned the drone.

It looks like most of the people that waved at the drone, thought it was a legitimate film drone. They all wave at it like they think they are going to be on TV.

In my opininion, these rare drone flights are rarely gonna harm anyone. BUT if less educated pilots see videos like this, these flights may become more common and result in an unfortunate accident. I'm supprised youtube doesn't have a policy against posting this.

These NFL Stadiums are supposed to be protected by sophisticated drone detection systems that would show exactly where drone took off and landed. Check out the "Hidden Level" system that protects the Dallas Cowboys at AT & T Stadium and detected an average of two unauthorized drones per game during the season.

Hidden Level’s Low-Altitude Airspace Monitoring Service Proves Effective in Arlington, Texas.
JANUARY 25 2022
Hidden Level’s Low-Altitude Airspace Monitoring Service Proves Effective in Arlington, Texas - Hidden Level

Hidden Level Website: Hidden Level - Safety Through Sensing™

MORE INFO: https://hiddenlevel.com/wp-content/uploads/20210525-HiddenLevel_AMS.pdf

Reactions: heightened_imagery
1644280723815.png
EXAMPLE OF AN UNSAFE DRONE FLIGHT DETECTED BY HIDDEN LEVEL’S AMS DURING AN EVENT AT AT&T STADIUM

1644280758021.png
ONE OF HIDDEN LEVEL’S DISTRIBUTED HL1000 SENSORS FROM ITS AIRSPACE MONITORING SERVICE (AMS) NETWORK IN ARLINGTON, TX

I really really hope they throw the book at this one. He deserves the maximum penalties law will allow. Including the heaviest fines, and even (maximum) prison time... They *definitely* need to make an example out of this clown, before more people pull crap like this and we wind up restricted more and more and more...!

Reactions: heightened_imagery
Is there any follow up to this? I'd really like to know what the final outcome of this is!

The fact that the FAA is silent means it’s an active investigation.

They will publish the results of the investigation.

It's been over 8 months, the person is known and never denied it - nothing has happened.

Someone asked him on the last video on his channel:

Just wondering what happened with the playoff footage? Went through a drone class and they mentioned you was jailed?

The response marked one month ago:

BrickByBrickFilms

No bro the faa did find me tho

Someone asked him on the last video on his channel:

Just wondering what happened with the playoff footage? Went through a drone class and they mentioned you was jailed?

The response marked one month ago:

BrickByBrickFilms

No bro the faa did find me tho

After a review of most cases that concern the FAA, I have noticed, depending on the level of experience, knowledge, and education of the pilot, determines what the punishment is. Most, first offenders, and those that are uneducated, tend to get warnings and educational materials. Believe it or not, many drone owners have no idea it is illegal to fly over sporting events. Many have no clue of the laws in general. Thus, the FAA, if no harm occured, will issue a warning.

From the article...

"Dabney and Lenhoff are each charged with operating an unregistered drone, a federal crime punishable by
up to three years in prison, DOJ says.

Officials say Dabney is also charged with violating a temporary flight restriction, punishable by up to one year in prison."

Think these guys will serve or will Saul Goodman work a deal? :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31