DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm afraid to fly mavic mini

Resist the urge to take off when it says you can. Always wait for the nice lady to tell you that the home point has been established. Then you know you have a GPS lock on your home point. Now it will fly normally and return home that way. Forgetting this could result in a home point well away from where you took off. Or some very uncomfortable flying. Set your RTH as low as safely possible to avoid winds aloft. Enjoy your new bird, go fly.

I have seen and read many cases of lost mavic minis, with loss of strength, that do not respond to control, some have been lost with a lot of wind and others with little wind, it is normal to have this fear paying a drone of 500 dollars, actually it is worth It's worth paying this for a drone that you know that at any moment you can lose it even if you have security protocols, I think that a lot of people believe that the person in charge is always the driver, but in reality I could believe that he is DJI, for selling a drone that does not comply which promises in terms of quality, wind resistance, power, distance.
what do you think?

I've flown my Mini quite a bit, and haven't had any real issues to be worried about. My guess is operator error for most of the fly-aways. It's a lightweight drone, but I was able to fly over water in 18mph winds with 23-25mph gusts. I got a few wind warnings and dropped my altitude rapidly and was fine. That being said, know the limits... and download the UAV Forecast app!!!

I've flown today in wind limit conditions (13m/s) and never got a warning. If you get a warning for high wind don't ignore, if it's the first don't go any further, if the message doesn't go away stay lower and if it still persists land the AC.

MM has other problems in my book. The uncommanded descent when rapidly descending and coming to a halt may crash or ditch your drone if you're not quick and didn't stop at a reasonable distance from what's beneath the drone. Another problem is the random disconnection with WRONG messages when the RC loses its mind and signs out the MD (mobile device). You have to be 3dimensionally thinking and ignore RTH warnings and unplug-replug the MD to regain app control (remote is always linked and controlling the drone, even if you don't see it).

I wonder if these problems occur based on which device one is using... Android vs. Apple? I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and have had zero issues with mine.

Back when I was a kid in the 60s-70s I had a VW bug and a Mustang Boss/Mach I. I would never expect anything near the performance from the mini/bug compared to the Stang. But the bug performed just fine for what I used it for, to get my from here to there in a modest fashion.

Same with the MM!

they do not meet exactly flight time, it does not reach 4000 meters in the United States that promises, my mini-bone mavic or resist wind of 15 km because it is already sending me a message and it is because I check the wind application

The manual clearly states the 30 minutes is the maximum as tested under ideal conditions. It also says the range is up to 4 km. There are many factors that can affect both. Wind applications can not give actual wind readings. They are based on ground conditions at the nearest weather sensor station, which may be many kilometers away from where you're actually flying. And the winds displayed at altitude are based on algorithms that extrapolate from the ground wind speed, not from actual readings. They can be used as an indication of general conditions but you can't rely on them as the final word. It's always a judgment call on your part at the time and location of the flight whether it's safe to fly or not.

This is true of any drone. Stated battery times and ranges are under ideal conditions and paying attention to actual conditions and being prepared for anything at the time and location of the flight is the pilot's responsibility, regardless of what dorne you're flying.

Reactions: Akward59
I think y'all have really high expectations for a 400 dollar entry level drone that's basically designed for teenagers to take selfies with
Totally agree with the beginning. On the other hand, it's too good to be teenagers toy. Non of the dji drones are.
Mini is good enough to be a travel drone or a spare for a pro even satisfying the photographers with the quality.

I had a Phantom 3 and have a Phantom 4 and just adding the Mavic Mini to my fleet. I'm very happy with it, I feel like it is as close or closer to the flight times published for the Phantoms. I love the size and that it is quieter than my Phantom. Picture and video quality are not as good, but still excellent...

I love how people are complaining the Mini does not return max spec results all the time. Machines are not meant to be operated near their limits as the norm

When I hear 4km and 30mins from a manufacturer. I pragmatically take that to mean 1-2km and 20-25mins in real world application

My Tacoma says it's top speed is 145mph, I doubt it really would achieve that and I'm not too mad at Toyota about it, it does well at normal and reasonable expected operating limits, just like my mini

Other thing that is worth mentioning is that the 400-500 dollar point is not a fortune.. this is a 400 dollar RTF kit, in the FPV world of quads those are peanuts..

I was afraid to fly mine for a while but now i just be careful with the winds and when they are good I go fly without problems. Sure the mini isn't perfect but it was the only way I would ever be able to get into this hobby because of the price. Well sure i could have purchased cheap drones before but i found video quality really lacking.

I was afraid to fly mine for a while but now i just be careful with the winds and when they are good I go fly without problems. Sure the mini isn't perfect but it was the only way I would ever be able to get into this hobby because of the price. Well sure i could have purchased cheap drones before but i found video quality really lacking.
You are the right person to have purchased a mini. You have a bright future as a pilot. Enjoy

Reactions: lobstaman

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser