DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I mailed it into DJI and awaiting their response. Repair worries me as it fell from 100 feet up. I would be worried about the IMU/accelerometers/et cetera, all that technology that keeps them flying. I still have my M2P.

Yeah and being an Enterprise (edit, whoops just saw it was a zoom, still bad), you'd be more apprehensive about it too.
Using refresh is the way to go, refirb or new, it should be as good as the new.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90RAW
Ok, I just have to vent. I crashed my M2Z last night. I was out with my M2P and the M2Z and it was getting dark. One last run is what I said to myself. Then, over the trees (I thought) and BAAM! Flight log stated "YOUR AN IDIOT!!" The rear arm broke off, et cetera. Like one of my kids getting injured. The LED lights scintillating through the trees, the sounds of the rotors mashing against the branches as it struggled to continue its objective. One leg gone, no more lift, only forward motion. No stopping it now. Another patch of trees, more mashing, and it was over. Just the blinking of the LEDs in the distant woods and a whisper through the trees, like vapors of mist, WHY, why'd you do it!
Well, there's no solace to the story. Even with the DJI Care Refresh, it wont be the same without her. Why? Why'd you do it.

I felt EXACTLY the same when I crashed my M2Z last month! I just had to go out for that one last flight. Why couldn't I have just packed up at the end of the next-to-last run like I had planned? The sound of props in branches is truly a gut wrenching noise, and it genuinely felt like a friend had suffered a terrible accident. My condolences for your loss.

I felt EXACTLY the same when I crashed my M2Z last month! I just had to go out for that one last flight. Why couldn't I have just packed up at the end of the next-to-last run like I had planned? The sound of props in branches is truly a gut wrenching noise, and it genuinely felt like a friend had suffered a terrible accident. My condolences for your loss.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't mention that the height on the smart control(Im assuming altimeter determined?) was stating It was at 100+feet, yet in reality much lower. The trees here are at a maximum of I assumed because it was getting dark it was inaccurate but I've noticed that on my M2P the same issue. I could be 3 feet off the ground and it says 8 feet, regardless of light levels. Now I am a little paranoid and fly much higher than the stated altitude.

OK, just to close the loop, I c/p the repair vs DJI care refresh letter below. Replacement cost is $119USD. Whyd you do it???
Dear Customer,

This message is from DJI Support. A quote detailing the cost to repair your product Mavic 2 Zoom is attached to this email. Click Repair Progress Inquiry for the detailed damage information.
Case Info.
Customer
WeaverRichard
Case No.
CAS-3977130-N6Y5L6
Quotation Date
2020-Feb-19
Remark

"Damage Assessment Result: Physical damage to aircraft as itemized below We noticed that you have already purchased DJI Care Refresh. If you would like to request a repair, please click on “PayPal” on the price list that we sent to you. If you would like to request a replacement, please click on “Use Care Refresh”, and we will provide a replacement to you. The newly released DJI Care Refresh + provides one more opportunity to replace your drone and extends the warranty repair service for one-year, offering comprehensive protection for your flight. For more details: Buy DJI Care Refresh Plus – DJI Store"

Item List
8743_Press-down Quick-release Propeller CW

Quantity: 2
Net Price : 7.50
Total Price: 15.00
8743_Press-down Quick-release Propeller CCW
Net Price : 7.50
Total Price: 15.00
Front Arm Module (Left)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 28.00
Total Price: 28.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 28.00
Total Price: 28.00
Rear Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
Total Payment (USD$)

Just so you know, the second, third, and the crashes to follow get slightly easier to handle (but not much). If you fly your drone(s) as much as I do you will succumb to a crash. Having them insured does make the pain a lot easier to handle. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss...

My crashes have started making me feeling worse! I have enough flight time that I think "I should have known better".

I haven't lost a bird entirely, as of yet....knock wood.

Sorry to hear about your loss...

My crashes have started making me feeling worse! I have enough flight time that I think "I should have known better".

I haven't lost a bird entirely, as of yet....knock wood.
Yes, it seems when your a newbie your much more careful, and as you get the experience you take more chances or are less attentive.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes, it seems when your a newbie your much more careful, and as you get the experience you take more chances or are less attentive.

I'm going to be flying and motorcycling in NC in about 2 weeks, 1st on the Outer Banks, then over on the BR Pkwy. Wish me luck! :)

I'm going to be flying and motorcycling in NC in about 2 weeks, 1st on the Outer Banks, then over on the BR Pkwy. Wish me luck! :)

Sounds like a great trip. Be careful on the Blue Ridge Parkway this time of year, you can get snow and ice on the roads very quickly.

This is a good time of year for drone work on the Outer Banks south of Corolla because there’s not so many tourists. But there still are many restrictions in some of the towns. Don’t forget that the entire Hatteras national seashore is off-limits.The full-time residents of the Outer Banks, referred to as OBXers, are an unusual bunch. Their opinions of drones run the full gamut from fully support to not in my backyard! Law enforcement is mostly county sheriffs and on the whole they’re a pretty good bunch. But if you run into one that tells you you can’t fly, even if you know you can, don’t argue with him or her. You’ll end up with your drone being confiscated. The Federal Park Rangers are another story. If you’re caught flying on the national seashore you won’t get a warning. They just write you a summons and take your drone.

Good luck and enjoy the flying!

The BRP has been closed(certain sections) this time of year, without snow. It's kind of a pain as they dont post it on the website. With snow its a crap-shoot. We were in Asheville in Nov, no snow, and it was closed for unknown reasons. The advice by JAW on the outer banks are good. I forgot about National Seashore restrictions. Ive had my drone at Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, and Wrightsville Beach with no problem. Not many people around. Nothing better than NC beaches.

Sounds like a great trip. Be careful on the Blue Ridge Parkway this time of year, you can get snow and ice on the roads very quickly.

This is a good time of year for drone work on the Outer Banks south of Corolla because there’s not so many tourists. But there still are many restrictions in some of the towns. Don’t forget that the entire Hatteras national seashore is off-limits.The full-time residents of the Outer Banks, referred to as OBXers, are an unusual bunch. Their opinions of drones run the full gamut from fully support to not in my backyard! Law enforcement is mostly county sheriffs and on the whole they’re a pretty good bunch. But if you run into one that tells you you can’t fly, even if you know you can, don’t argue with him or her. You’ll end up with your drone being confiscated. The Federal Park Rangers are another story. If you’re caught flying on the national seashore you won’t get a warning. They just write you a summons and take your drone.

Good luck and enjoy the flying!

Thanks for the tips, and advice! I have ridden OBX quite a few times. I like to take the ferry from Swan Quarter to Ocracoke, and head north.

I have NOT flown very much in the US since drones have become so popular. My hometown is Arlington, VA. The entire DC area is an NFZ!

Sadly, I AM familiar with Federal Park Rangers, and their "No warning" policy. My last ticket was on the Shenandoah Pkwy. The ranger was very nice & professional. He told me he was required to explain that if I did not pay the ticket, or attend court, a federal warrant would be issued by the US Marshall's Service, with a nationwide arrest order, and at at border points. I paid that ticket fast!

Thanks again! Best.....tick.jpg

Thanks for the tips, and advice! I have ridden OBX quite a few times. I like to take the ferry from Swan Quarter to Ocracoke, and head north.

I have NOT flown very much in the US since drones have become so popular. My hometown is Arlington, VA. The entire DC area is an NFZ!

Sadly, I AM familiar with Federal Park Rangers, and their "No warning" policy. My last ticket was on the Shenandoah Pkwy. The ranger was very nice & professional. He told me he was required to explain that if I did not pay the ticket, or attend court, a federal warrant would be issued by the US Marshall's Service, with a nationwide arrest order, and at at border points. I paid that ticket fast!

Thanks again! Best.....View attachment 94564
Oh boy....speeding. I fell it like it was me. The worst feeling getting pulled over for that.

Reactions: Saigondroner
Hey, thanks for thinking of me. I mailed it into DJI and awaiting their response. Repair worries me as it fell from 100 feet up. I would be worried about the IMU/accelerometers/et cetera, all that technology that keeps them flying. I still have my M2P.
Keep you eye out for a used one. I just picked up a used Zoom still under warranty with less than 5 hrs flight time and three batteries for $800.
Nice price...cant beat that!

OK, just to close the loop on this story, which has provided vast entertainment and support to me as well as being great to read everyone's experiences over the ensuing weeks. I received my replacement DJI care refresh #1 of 2 "allotment" for the insurance year, and they sent me a brand new, never been flown, unopened sealed box, M2Z??!!! I am pleasantly surprised as I believed I would receive a refurb unit. Maybe there are not enough "crashed" M2Z's out there yet (I'm working on that statistic). WOW, I love DJI. Thanks for all the input and support as well as your stories.

OK, just to close the loop on this story, which has provided vast entertainment and support to me as well as being great to read everyone's experiences over the ensuing weeks. I received my replacement DJI care refresh #1 of 2 "allotment" for the insurance year, and they sent me a brand new, never been flown, unopened sealed box, M2Z??!!! I am pleasantly surprised as I believed I would receive a refurb unit. Maybe there are not enough "crashed" M2Z's out there yet (I'm working on that statistic). WOW, I love DJI. Thanks for all the input and support as well as your stories.
great result sometimes DJI get it right

Reactions: Thomas B and E90RAW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott