DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incrementalism

Brad de Leon

Reactions
When is DJI going to get off the Apple bandwagon? If a company could patent its business model, Apple could make a fortune suing DJI. Here we go with another product improvement that marginally outstrips its predecessor. I have been eagery awaiting the Mavic Pro 2 release for more then a year, only to find it does not include the one improvement I needed...4K 60fps. Yes the camera improvement is nice. Better colour saturation and low light performance are nice, more flight sensors are nice, 4 extra minutes are nice but the one absolute requirement for shooting quality video is the ability to watch panned shots without tossing your cookies or having an epileptic seizure. GoPro figured this out years ago, too bad DJI does not do competitive analysis. Instead they focus efforts on milking every last nickel out of its customers time and again. George Lucas invented the concept of milking the customer with rereleases of Starwars in every variation under the sun (how many versions have you bought over the years). Even interesting that no one noticed the absolute pixel count drop from the original Mavic Pro in 4K 24fps to this current model. Not even sure if this new drone even qualifies as true 4K. I'll wait for the next one. True 4K 60fps should be along soon...Mavic 2 Platinum.

"Marginal" ? What did you want it to do?

The one version has the first ever optical zoom on a consumer drone.
The pro has a bigger sensor, new image processor, higher data rates, better encoding algorithms, superior image quality.

Both have an improved flight time, omni directional obstacle awareness.

You just seem bitter it doesn't include a mode that you need but most people dont.

It's certainly unfortunate that DJI ignored one of your requirements but luckily you have free will to punish them, so this is the perfect opportunity for you to ditch DJI and buy something better.

Bitter? Suppose people are not allowed to voice their opinions if the differ from yours. What do I want? Thought I was clear.
Let's continue with the beatings.

Bitter? Suppose people are not allowed to voice their opinions if the differ from yours. What do I want? Thought I was clear.
Let's continue with the beatings.

There's nothing at all wrong with voicing your wishes. But if you turn it into a silly lament about "incrementalism" when DJI is so far ahead of the market with this technology, then you invite just that kind of response.

I forgot, name calling has always been the perview of the enlightened. Silly?, you missed my point entirely, DJI has the ability to address all the shortfalls of the original but they choose not to so they can release future drones with modest improvements so they can maximize profits of technology advances. Do you really believe the tech does not exist to include 4K 60 or120 fps? For action shots or pans, this is a huge requirement in post. More important then all the other upgrades.
It is incrementalism and it comes at the expense of the consumer. We'll see what the unbiased reviewers have to say over the next few months.

I forgot, name calling has always been the perview of the enlightened. Silly?, you missed my point entirely, DJI has the ability to address all the shortfalls of the original but they choose not to so they can release future drones with modest improvements so they can maximize profits of technology advances. Do you really believe the tech does not exist to include 4K 60 or120 fps? For action shots or pans, this is a huge requirement in post. More important then all the other upgrades.
It is incrementalism and it comes at the expense of the consumer. We'll see what the unbiased reviewers have to say over the next few months.
Where did anyone start "name calling"?? Yes, you are entitled to voice your opinion. Yes others are entitled to voice theirs. Just because they don't agree with your, doesn't mean your need to 'throw a hissy fit'!!

DJI is a commercial company. Their corporate duty is to maximize the "profits of technology advances", not to maximize the technology or pander to the consumer, except to the extent necessary to maximize profit. If you have a professional requirement for 4K 60 fps then buy a P4P or an Inspire. Or maybe you can find a lightly used GoPro drone since they know how to do this.

And by the way, characterizing your argument as "silly" is not "name-calling" - it's merely my opinion of your argument. Name calling would be an ad hominem attack on you, not your argument.

DJI is a commercial company. Their corporate duty is to maximize the "profits of technology advances", not to maximize the technology or pander to the consumer, except to the extent necessary to maximize profit. If you have a professional requirement for 4K 60 fps then buy a P4P or an Inspire. Or maybe you can find a lightly used GoPro drone since they know how to do this.

And by the way, characterizing your argument as "silly" is not "name-calling" - it's merely my opinion of your argument. Name calling would be an ad hominem attack on you, not your argument.

This. DJI could have added a little to the cost and included 4K 60fps. They also could have added more to the cost and added an 8K camera. Maybe they could have added more and added a parachute recovery system.

But at some point the consumer Mavic becomes as expensive as a P4P or Inspire. Not least to say it’d cannibalise their sales of those models.

The line has to be drawn somewhere and unfortunately your requirements fell on the other side. But that’s why the P4P and Inspire exist: if you really need those features then those drones might be a better fit than the Mavic range.

Reactions: sar104
the one absolute requirement for shooting quality video is the ability to watch panned shots without tossing your cookies or having an epileptic seizure.
Tell you what, if you need 60fps to produce watchable output you're doing something wrong... since 99% of content out there isn't in 60fps.

BTW, most of your audience can't watch 4k60 in the first place.

This. DJI could have added a little to the cost and included 4K 60fps. They also could have added more to the cost and added an 8K camera. Maybe they could have added more and added a parachute recovery system.

But at some point the consumer Mavic becomes as expensive as a P4P or Inspire. Not least to say it’d cannibalise their sales of those models.

The line has to be drawn somewhere and unfortunately your requirements fell on the other side. But that’s why the P4P and Inspire exist: if you really need those features then those drones might be a better fit than the Mavic range.

Exactly. And I assume that you were replying to the OP, not me.

Tell you what, if you need 60fps to produce watchable output you're doing something wrong... since 99% of content out there isn't in 60fps.

BTW, most of your audience can't watch 4k60 in the first place.

Yep I don’t understand the 60fps need at all, either. I can think of one movie on UHD Blu-ray that’s 60fps (Billy Lynn’s Long Half-time Walk) and just a couple on Netflix. Everything else is 24p/25p out there. 30fps is great for doing dramatic scenery etc etc. 60fps would magnify every little breeze movement of the gimbal shake etc and look wrong.

I know to each his own, but I really don’t understand this complaint.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Perhaps we could hear from someone who is not on the DJI payroll.

Or perhaps you shouldn't assume and imply that because everyone responding disagrees with you that they are therefore on DJI's payroll. That is an ad hominem argument.

With all this hostility over a simple discussion, it's the only logical conclusion.

There's no hostility - just disagreement with what you posted, and how you posted it. If you just came looking for validation then that's too bad.

Reactions: Kilrah
With all this hostility over a simple discussion, it's the only logical conclusion.
I also agree with the others here. You're hearing dog whistles because you want to hear them.

Your original post was of a negative tone and you wanted people to respond negatively so you could argue with them.

You are being a troll.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc