DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance??

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi, I'm a newbie looking at the Mavic Air. I have read a few posts here in regards to State Farm Insurance and the DJI Care Refresh. I would like your opinion along with why which one you feel would be the better choice? I believe this forum is a true real world user forum and I value your opinions. I'd like to add, I sincerely believe in flying according to and within the FAA rules, regulations and guidelines. In other words, I would be flying responsibly as a recreational user. Please give me your thoughts....... Thanks, Ray :)

Last edited:
I have Refresh for issues with the drone when I can recover it. I have State Farm insurance in case the drone is not recoverable. Two different things.

I have Refresh for issues with the drone when I can recover it. I have State Farm insurance in case the drone is not recoverable. Two different things.

Thanks for the reply......... I was under the impression the State Farm would either have it fixed if possible and/or replaced if not. Thanks for setting it straight for me. I do have a few questions;
1) Do you have to be already insured with a different policy in order to get drone insurance?
2) Is there any good go to State Farms on the internet to acquire the insurance?
3) What is the drone insurance called?
Thanks again, Ray :)

Did you mean State Farm? I dont think Allstate has a standalone drone insurance (PAP) policy.

You're correct, I meant to say State Farm. I corrected it in the post. Is the PAP policy you mention stand for Personal Aircraft Policy? Thanks, Ray :)

1) Do you have to be already insured with a different policy in order to get drone insurance?

Depends on the broker. See link to spreadsheet. There is a column that answers your question.

2) Is there any good go to State Farms on the internet to acquire the insurance?

State Farm UAS Agents

3) What is the drone insurance called?

Just tell them you want to insure your drone. Most of them on the list will know what you are talking about. You will need to provide proof of purchase and serial #.

Depends on the broker. See link to spreadsheet. There is a column that answers your question.

State Farm UAS Agents

Just tell them you want to insure your drone. Most of them on the list will know what you are talking about. You will need to provide proof of purchase and serial #.

AWESOME!! Thank you for that link! I live in Michigan in which it shows a couple of agents. Do you know if the insurance can be purchased outside of the state you live in? I'm asking just in case the State Farms in Michigan want me to insure something else. Thank you again for the link........ sincerely appreciated. Ray Thumbswayup

I did a search here on the forum for those that have SF insurance PAP. It appears (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the policy covers everything with the exception of factory defects. If this is the case, should I just go for the SF insurance and forget about DJI Care Refresh since defects would be covered under DJI's warranty? In addition, some has stated that you can insure other items on the same $60.00 PAP up to $5000.00. If you feel that I should have both, could you please explain why? Thanks in advance, Ray

Last edited:
Is the PAP policy you mention stand for Personal Aircraft Policy? Thanks, Ray :)

It stands for Personal Article Policy (or Personal Article Floater). It's meant to cover pretty much any personal property that you want to add to it... cameras, jewelry, etc.

I went with both because I wasn't sure about the PAP repairing damage. Felt more comfortable to me to have both. Overall, the cost seemed worth it to me.

Reactions: Former Member
I went with both because I wasn't sure about the PAP repairing damage. Felt more comfortable to me to have both. Overall, the cost seemed worth it to me.

I also think the prices are reasonable, and after the Refresh expires after 1 year, you still have the State Farm to fall back on. If you have any crashes your first year, you can file them with Refresh, as long as you have a drone to send them. If you reach the one year mark, and havent filed a claim with State Farm, they are more likely to keep you as a customer the second year.

Thanks for this being posted including the data base of insurance reps. Just got quoted for $60 yearly or $5 a month in Louisiana!

Reactions: Former Member
There are only two negatives about DJI Care Refresh that I have read about.
1) If you send in your drone to get repaired you may end up with;
a) Your original drone back.
b) A replacement drone that's refurbished.
2) It cost you a fee for two circumstances.
With SF you'll receive a check and you can replace the drone with a new one. I'm not saying that DJI Care Refresh is bad, I'm just pointing out a few things. As a newbie, having both policies the first year certainly would have you covered. I just don't want to purchase two policies that has the same coverage.

With SF you'll receive a check and you can replace the drone with a new one. I'm not saying that DJI Care Refresh is bad, I'm just pointing out a few things.
Technically if it were worth it, SF would only pay for the repairs. It's just that 1) 99% of the time it's cheaper to replace and 2) I doubt SF even understands at this time how to go about getting a Mavic repaired. I'm not saying that they could not figure this out.. only that an adjuster gets the claim and they don't have any procedures in place right now as how to react other then paying out the limits. I also say this as people have reported crashing the Mavic and SF pays out the entire cost... to replace everything. However, this includes the controller which is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Stimmy
Technically if it were worth it, SF would only pay for the repairs. It's just that 1) 99% of the time it's cheaper to replace and 2) I doubt SF even understands at this time how to go about getting a Mavic repaired. I'm not saying that they could not figure this out.. only that an adjuster gets the claim and they don't have any procedures in place right now as how to react other then paying out the limits. I also say this as people have reported crashing the Mavic and SF pays out the entire cost... to replace everything. However, this includes the controller which is perfectly fine.

Don't give them any ideas man. I'm perfectly fine getting a new mavic should I crash. Lol

Not to be greedy, just curious: If I have Refresh and SF and crash my drone, can I collect from both? That is, get a replacement from DJI and a check from SF?

More generally, accidents can be documented with pictures, but how do you prove a flyaway with SF?

Not to be greedy, just curious: If I have Refresh and SF and crash my drone, can I collect from both? That is, get a replacement from DJI and a check from SF?
That would be insurance fraud.

More generally, accidents can be documented with pictures, but how do you prove a flyaway with SF?

You may be required to sign a proof of loss form to confirm. This would prove the loss unless they had something to show otherwise. They could also ask for the logs from the phone but this is highly unlikely.

Reactions: Jack Daw
That would be insurance fraud.

You may be required to sign a proof of loss form to confirm. This would prove the loss unless they had something to show otherwise. They could also ask for the logs from the phone but this is highly unlikely.

Interesting, but odd. I would have thought it was more like putting down two chips on red rather than one. After all, you can have two life insurance polices, both of which pay out when you die. But not two health insurance policies that pay out of you're sick. I wonder what the distinction is, and how they draw it.

(Of course, it would be fraud if you faked losing the drone.)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev