DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting encounter today

Greekislandlover

Reactions
I was out filming today along the Kennet and Avon canal near Bath. As I was setting up to film this guy and his family patiently waited for me to stop faffing and do some flying. The guy was quite chatty and asking lots of questions such as does it ever get lost, what happens if the signal dies etc. He said he was looking to buy one.

So I explained about the GPS, RTH and how that worked. I explained that the comms works for several miles, but legally I have to have it in line of sight. He also felt that he felt his privacy was invaded when a drone went over, so I showed him what the camera sees and even from a fairly low height you can't see people - let alone identify them.

We then got onto height and I explained that it was limited to 120M and explained the we are limited to that as maximum height and other aircraft are limited to that as a minimum height for safety of all users.

Quite an interesting chap who understood what I was saying. Turns out he's a helicopter pilot! Glad I gave good answers!

Being and ADVOCATE and EDUCATOR for others, while being accurate, consistent, and professional in how messaging is conveyed to others is the BEST option to counter misinformation and/or misunderstanding of small UAV's and their recreational and commercial use. This includes being patient with law enforcement as well, who is tasked with responding to complaints and is forced to do so with little or no guidance, policy, facts, or resources.

Taking the time to engage with someone who expresses an interest is taking advantage of a teachable moment.

Every time we fly, not matter where we live, we are Ambassadors of the industry.

Awesome job!

Great job and thanks for sharing!

👍🏾 Thanks for sharing!

I always make it a point let folks know what I’m doing and even let them see the monitor . Most seem to really like the experience. If the unit irritates someone I just pack it up and move on.

I had something similar when an armed private security individual (licenced by the Police to manage the area for security) came to see what I was doing (flying - legally - in an area that has wealthy residents). We ended up agreeing to a coffee next time I came to the same location. I also started to show him how I fly my drone, which he loved. Oh and his HQ was in touch the whole time also enjoying the experience - via their monitors/cameras... interesting times :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky