DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini wifi?

Rock n Mavic

Reactions
Hi all, im a new Mavic pro owner and first time drone pilot. Im currently using my S7 edge to run DJI 4 app to fly my drone. I was looking into a Ipad mini as my controller. Can i just get the mini with only Wifi? Or do i need to get one with cellular?
Thanks for everyone input.

Regards,

Rock n Mavic.

Hi all, im a new Mavic pro owner and first time drone pilot. Im currently using my S7 edge to run DJI 4 app to fly my drone. I was looking into a Ipad mini as my controller. Can i just get the mini with only Wifi? Or do i need to get one with cellular?
Thanks for everyone input.

Regards,

Rock n Mavic.
i am using ipad mini without cellular and dont find a need.
i cache the map of were im going to fly at home before leaving
iv gone to spain and cached maps in the UK
i have not had a need to for it in the field

Reactions: Rock n Mavic
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Air/Mini/Pro models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

Reactions: Rock n Mavic
I’m sorry I’ve tried to read up on this a lot and can’t really find this answer..also looking to get an iPad mini 4, don’t mind spending the $ if it’s actually worth it.
When you tether the wifi only Ipad to your hotspot on iPhone, will it still then use the GPS from your phone and essentially be the exact same as a cellular Ipad ? (For RTH or follow me mode) . Or do you actually need the Ipad to be Cellular (w GPS built in)?!?
Sorry to beat this up just want to make the right purchase!!!
Thanks

Reactions: ctwferg and radman
When you tether the wifi only Ipad to your hotspot on iPhone, will it still then use the GPS from your phone and essentially be the exact same as a cellular Ipad ?
No. You must use a cellular iPad model (you don't have to activate the cellular service) or connect an external GPS receiver (like one of these) to your Wi-Fi only iPad.

Thank you! The search continues for a deal on one now lol

Don’t be afraid to buy used/refurbished either. There are great deals to be had out there. I just got a refurb iPad Air 2, 32g, cellular for 150 shipped. I know some people don’t like the bigger screen, but it was cheaper than the mini 4, and has a faster processor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d