DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone even close?

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
Are there any companies even close to the technology that DJI is bringing to the table? I have been immersed in drones for about two years now and own most of DJI's products. The reason I am asking is because of my love for drones, I scour the internet looking for other drones that might be even better than DJI but I can seem to find anything even close. If i do see something that seems like a contender its almost always a concept that is just over promising for kickstarter funding, I have yet to see anything materialize thats a DJI killer. Is there a company that you know about that is doing anything on the same level? I mainly mean good camera support and a smooth gimbal. Thanks for listening.-J

In the pro area there are contenders but they don't compete on price at all. On prosumer level there's no competition for DJI at all. Anything up from the spark is DJI territory.

The competition (hardly) is only trying to catch up but DJI is always a couple of steps ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
I have been trying to find the thread where the guy demonstrates how crap DJI is compared to other FC's in tracking a vehicle over varying terrain,
Cant find the thread...

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Are there any companies even close to the technology that DJI is bringing to the table? I have been immersed in drones for about two years now and own most of DJI's products. The reason I am asking is because of my love for drones, I scour the internet looking for other drones that might be even better than DJI but I can seem to find anything even close. If i do see something that seems like a contender its almost always a concept that is just over promising for kickstarter funding, I have yet to see anything materialize thats a DJI killer. Is there a company that you know about that is doing anything on the same level? I mainly mean good camera support and a smooth gimbal. Thanks for listening.-J
Seems DJI has it locked up as far as technology, but then you have to suffer with their extremely poor customer service if or should I say when you have a problem!!

Check these reviews out.
DJI is rated "Bad" with 1.1 / 10 on Trustpilot

Reactions: KentA
They aren't the best on every single thing, but when considering the whole package they are by far.

I have been trying to find the thread where the guy demonstrates how crap DJI is compared to other FC's in tracking a vehicle over varying terrain,
Yup if that's all you're interested in then it could be a poor choice, but by going to someone else for that you'll lose on several other fronts so... all depends on your priorities.

I couldn't care less about tracking but for me video quality (both recorded and live transmitted) is paramount and there isn't anyone remotely close.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
If it's about market power and share nothing even comes close to DJI. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with anyones customer experience. It might start to hurt them as soon as a serious competitor enters the arena.
My experience as a customer has been very good by the way. But I hate their nanny policies and their lack of openness about firmware and software changes.

I'm a newbie here with about two weeks flying experience with the DJI drone. Prior to buying (about 4 weeks ago) I did extensive research, read everything I could and watched too much You Tube!

I bought the Mavic Pro. It turns out, it was the correct decision. I also like all the aftermarket options.

I don't believe there is anything on the consumer level that competes.

I think DJI has done so well due to their constant re investment of profits into the company. Many other start ups have to pay dividends to the many shareholders etc. DJI has stayed a privately owned company so has the ability to retain much of it's profits to use in R&D which it has done.
GoPro is a good example of why it doesn't always work with the shareholder model. They had to play catch up whilst being hamstrung with the reality of building a concept that was purely there to try and keep the share price afloat. A short term goal, where as DJI are looking long term.
I've been using DJI flight controllers for years on my larger UAV's (way before they started selling complete UAV's). They weren't the best early on but boy did they get better fast! They ended up with a much more polished product and the rest is history.

the one thing that scared me about DJI was their customer service but when I saw the Mavic Pro at Costco, I jumped on the opportunity because you can't match the Costco return policy.

Like others have said, DJI is really the best in town. I built my first quadcopter many years ago using a RC helicopter gyro. I bought the Phantom 1 which was worlds ahead thing else out there. Yuneec, Karma......all good products. I was one of the first Inspire owners, man did that have some issues, sold it after two months and stuck with the Phantom line until the Mavic. I just bought my second after sending my first to my son. Just waiting for them to put a better camera P4P on the Mavic and I'll be really happy

I couldn't care less about tracking but for me video quality (both recorded and live transmitted) is paramount and there isn't anyone remotely close.[/QUOTE]

Personally, am a 3DR Solo fanatic and always will be. Company was 1st and went full commercial in the drone department. Currently, there is a separate community that has started up alongside of some engineers that left and climbed aboard. Momentum is regaining.
Check out 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi ... Known colloquially as "the Benghazi movie", the film was released on January 15, 2016, by Paramount Pictures. Many of the video shots was completed with Solo. Gimbal advancements, also look at current mapping, FLIR etc. Solo was the first and believe will continue as the momentum regains.

Depends on what you are looking for. As far as size and portability, the Mavic is leading right now. There are other products which lead with other features such as handling of wind, better cameras, and tracking capability. Some have a built in screen so you don't have to buy a phone or tablet and worry about compatibility. Some come with a removable camera/gimbal, easy to swap out or replace. Some actually test their software before release. Some actually produce a decent jpeg file straight from the camera.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about tracking but for me video quality (both recorded and live transmitted) is paramount and there isn't anyone remotely close.

Personally, am a 3DR Solo fanatic and always will be. Company was 1st and went full commercial in the drone department. Currently, there is a separate community that has started up alongside of some engineers that left and climbed aboard. Momentum is regaining.
Check out 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi ... Known colloquially as "the Benghazi movie", the film was released on January 15, 2016, by Paramount Pictures. Many of the video shots was completed with Solo. Gimbal advancements, also look at current mapping, FLIR etc. Solo was the first and believe will continue as the momentum regains.[/QUOTE]

LMAO, I had one....piece of junk with all kinds of problems. 3DR lied out that *** about everything about it, shipping dates were not even close, then another 3 months for the gimbal

LOL, if they were they wouldn't have crashed to the ground. Precisely becasue of being too little too late and too expensive..
Expensive then, yes, now cheaper than ever for what you get, much less complicated to fly straight out of the box. Much better programming in cable cam, orbit, follow me, way point grids and much more. Was actually #1 in the beginning before 3DR jumped into commercial applications. Portability, DJI has this hands down with their Mavic and Spark. Only reason I went with a Platinum, but still much prefer the Solo. I travel much internationally as well as taking part in search and rescue with my Italian Cane Corsos. Future endevors will be more in videography while out and about exploring on Volcanoes and ancient ruins on our Can Am.

Currently frustrated with my new Platinum as still having issues with basic connectivity WiFi settings for initially for setup down here in Colombia. Solo, would be out already getting great footage!

Check out 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi ... Known colloquially as "the Benghazi movie", the film was released on January 15, 2016, by Paramount Pictures. Many of the video shots was completed with Solo. Gimbal advancements, also look at current mapping, FLIR etc. Solo was the first and believe will continue as the momentum regains.

LMAO, I had one....piece of junk with all kinds of problems. 3DR lied out that *** about everything about it, shipping dates were not even close, then another 3 months for the gimbal[/QUOTE]

Can understand...typical of companies. Support much better than ever now as well as advanced software and accessories. Believe units now going for around $250. Believe moving away from Go Pro also...

They're $250 because no one wants them - I don't either even if you give it to me for free because footage from a fisheyed gopro is worthless.

Much better programming in cable cam, orbit, follow me, way point grids and much more.
While DJI's apps aren't great at that there are perfectly good 3rd party apps that do it well if you're into that kind of thing (not my case, manual flying only).

Was actually #1 in the beginning
We were shooting great footage for movies while you were waiting for an overpriced delayed gimbal - or actually before the Solo was even announced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78