DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Mavic 3 as "Waterproof" as Mavic 2?

jelarv

Reactions
I don't believe the Mavic 2 is officially "waterproof" but we've all seen videos produced in the rain (and I flew a few times in light rain and even heavy snow without any problems). Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 is as rugged in terms of withstanding light rain or snow? Given the higher price, I assume it is but can't find any info on this (my Mavic 3 arrived an hour ago but it's snowing outside!)

Thanks!

The Mavic 3 is more challenging in the water since has few scoops for ventilation, one on the top back and two at the sides back. The front scoop is more esthetical and not functional.

Having said that is more prone to get water inside in case of rain. I will consider the wet suit for it. I personally I am getting one for mine.

Reactions: jelarv
I don't believe the Mavic 2 is officially "waterproof" but we've all seen videos produced in the rain (and I flew a few times in light rain and even heavy snow without any problems). Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 is as rugged in terms of withstanding light rain or snow? Given the higher price, I assume it is but can't find any info on this (my Mavic 3 arrived an hour ago but it's snowing outside!)

Thanks!
The Mavic 3 is more waterproof than the Mavic 2 simply because of the rear entry battery. The Mavic 2's main weakness to water was through the power button and battery compartment which both could be compromised easily by rain. I tape over the power button and ends of the battery when flying in wet weather to better protect against rain on my Air 2S as I did on my Mavic 2.

The wet suits from PhantomRain should provide additional water resistance by raising the edges around the ventilation areas with neoprene to keep the water away. The obstacle avoidance sensors on the Mavic 3 will be impaired while flying in the rain so be aware of that limitation as well.

any drone ,other than those produced specifically to be classed as waterproof ,have the capability to ingress water into the internal electronics ,and its not really the water itself that causes an issue but the chemical impurities that it contains
with sea water its the salt that causes the damage, commercial large heavy lifters will tend to have an IP rating that will give them some protection from water ingress for a set exposure time ,but then these types of drones cost thousands of pounds ,before any camera are attached
even flying in foggy or misty conditions can quickly saturate the outside ,and possibly get inside the drone as well
personally if i had spent the sort of money that the M3 is priced at, i would be making darn sure it was kept as dry as possible

I have stripped a Mavic 2 that have been in the sea and nothing in it is water proof, I even took the camera apart and there was silt inside the camera case and what looked like water marks on the camera's sensor.

I have stripped a Mavic 2 that have been in the sea and nothing in it is water proof, I even took the camera apart and there was silt inside the camera case and what looked like water marks on the camera's sensor.
Not much is going to survive the ocean.... by "waterproof", I mean able to fly in the rain and snow. The electronics can take some water as long as it it is free of impurities that short across the components. Salt water is just about an instant death sentence for a drone because a salt solution is a good conductor. I take some risks with my drones for better footage but can only recommend it for those who can afford a loss.... I do have DJI Care Refresh on the Air 2S that I use in and around the water.

The motors themselves will actually run underwater, it's water ingress into other areas of the drone that very quickly becomes an issue, especially salt water. As mentioned, the rear mount battery on the M3 solves the biggest fear with the M2 if you get caught in fog or rain, but personally I wouldn't be flying an expensive drone in those conditions anyway as they are simply not designed for it.

Some DJI drones have conformal coatings on the PCBs, which acts as an initial barrier to things like moisture, but not everything in the drone is coated in such a way and I would never trust a drone that has been soaked or submerged for any length of time.

any drone ,other than those produced specifically to be classed as waterproof ,have the capability to ingress water into the internal electronics ,and its not really the water itself that causes an issue but the chemical impurities that it contains
with sea water its the salt that causes the damage, commercial large heavy lifters will tend to have an IP rating that will give them some protection from water ingress for a set exposure time ,but then these types of drones cost thousands of pounds ,before any camera are attached
even flying in foggy or misty conditions can quickly saturate the outside ,and possibly get inside the drone as well
personally if i had spent the sort of money that the M3 is priced at, i would be making darn sure it was kept as dry as possible
just after flying my Mavic 2 Zoom in light rain the mainboard/motherboard had been damaged and had to be replaced. Having done computer repair many times, I would say chances are it was the water that got inside the drone is what caused this to happen.

Reactions: jelarv
I guess he is working in a large order. No joke he has been busy.

The Mavic 3 is more challenging in the water since has few scoops for ventilation, one on the top back and two at the sides back. The front scoop is more esthetical and not functional.

Having said that is more prone to get water inside in case of rain. I will consider the wet suit for it. I personally I am getting one for mine.
I wouldn't waste my money again on a wet suit. SMH. NEVER AGAIN

I wouldn't waste my money again on a wet suit. SMH. NEVER AGAIN
Richard I did get your email and you concern over foldability , I sent you a video showing you how the legs fold in with the Wet Suit inside the pockets. There are over 5000 Posts on the Forum regarding the Wet Suits , no one has ever had an issue with the legs folding with the Wet Suit, Its a perfect fit .

The problem is in your email to me you stated that you passed on installing the Wet Suit, I sent you several videos and a personal one , your welcome to do more research but you do have to install it to see how the legs fold in place.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
440-315-4803

Reactions: jonatious

Thanks!
We have been doing some tests, the battery connection is solid not likely any water is going to get into the connection points . The vents need some protection .

The Weak Link is going to be the Power Button as its the same setup they used on the FPV and that was a nightmare . Rain easily compromised the Battery in the Rain.

The other issue is the Sensors on the bottom get confused with the rain drops on them so they need to be protected as with all the other drones as well.

We designed the Mavic 3 Bandit Wet Suits to enhance those weak areas to fly in the pouring rain using a 3 Tier System to provide convex openings , Plugs and pressure with a 4mm Impact Protection covers.

Email me at [email protected] for prices and pictures.
Website will be updated soon.

2021-11-17_10h32_16.png

Reactions: zeusfl

Thanks!
It may be just the same. Wet suits can help, but why fly a computer in the rain? If you want to fly in the rain, buy a drone that's waterproof, they make them.

It may be just the same. Wet suits can help, but why fly a computer in the rain? If you want to fly in the rain, buy a drone that's waterproof, they make them.
The Splash drone that are water proof have very poor quality signal and poor camera as many have noted on the Forum including us as that was our very first drone .

This was the reason for the development of the Wet Suits for the DJI drones .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and Land on the Water.

I am curious, do you have any proof of concept videos? By this I mean two identical drones hovering side by side in the rain, one with a wetsuit, one without? Apologies if I missed this earlier. The reason I ask is I have seen people fly "bare" drones in some pretty serious rain without issues, not that I think that is a smart or advisable thing to do though.

Also, have you done any measurements to test for any possible effect on internal temperatures of the drone? Adding cladding and/or partially covering any vents will alter the intended cooling characteristics.

I am curious, do you have any proof of concept videos? By this I mean two identical drones hovering side by side in the rain, one with a wetsuit, one without? Apologies if I missed this earlier. The reason I ask is I have seen people fly "bare" drones in some pretty serious rain without issues, not that I think that is a smart or advisable thing to do though.

Also, have you done any measurements to test for any possible effect on internal temperatures of the drone? Adding cladding and/or partially covering any vents will alter the intended cooling characteristics.
Good Point.

I Remember thinking after we made the Wet Suit for that Mavic Pro drone that the Mavic 2 would surely solve the Water in the Battery issue .

We flew the Mavic 2 Zoom in the Pouring Rain and in less than 3 minutes had Water in the Battery and a warning that the Battery had disconnected from the Controller after it came down. That was enough Proof of concept for me.

Since than we now have over 300 videos posted and 5000 posts on the subject on this forum and the Website .
The evidence shows the battery and the power button are the two #1 aspects of flying your drone in the Rain. .

Once we solved that we were able to land very low into the water which is when the Rescue Jackets were created.
The Rescue jackets work well with the Wet Suits and allow for some amazing feats on the water with them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the storm and Land on the Water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin