DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a difference between 1080 and 4K?

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I took this today at 4K, and it took my Macbook Air a long time with lots of fans and bare bones progs running to process.
A lot of effort and time. But is it worth it? I can not see hardly any difference between 1080 and 4K.
Now it could be my poor eye sight or my low 1080 monitor, but I can see only the slightest difference.

Can any one see a difference? There is supposed to be 4X better quality. I have run it over and over and just can't see anything but the tiniest of difference in definition.

Help please?

John.

Use a proxy to work on the file then render it in full quality after working on the files

There's a huge difference - but you won't be able to appreciate it with limited hardware.

I took this today at 4K, and it took my Macbook Air a long time with lots of fans and bare bones progs running to process.
A lot of effort and time. But is it worth it? I can not see hardly any difference between 1080 and 4K.
Now it could be my poor eye sight or my low 1080 monitor, but I can see only the slightest difference.

Can any one see a difference? There is supposed to be 4X better quality. I have run it over and over and just can't see anything but the tiniest of difference in definition.

Help please?

John.
Sorry forgot to post the link.

Well, that video isn't even rendered at 1080p much less 4K. It's rendered at 720p.

I always shoot 4K, even if the intent isn't to view it on a 4K device. It leaves the door open for cropping, rotating etc. without affecting quality.

Well, that video isn't even rendered at 1080p much less 4K. It's rendered at 720p.

It's rendered at 4K. His exposure doesn't look right and it looks like he rendered it with the highest compression because my Spark footage looks way better than this.

Use a proxy to work on the file then render it in full quality after working on the files

Yes I have hear of that technique. A great idea. Do you know of one in particular or should I just do a search. Just let me make sure I know what you mean.
You upload a file to a fast machine, render it, play around then when you get it as you want download the finished produce?

Very neat idea for those who can't afford powerful machine at the moment.

Thanks for that.

John

Help please?

John.
I always shoot in 4k (or at least 2.7k) and then output my footage at 1080p.

The reason to do this is that the 4k resolution lets you crop, pan and smooth your final video.

If you look at your video about half way through there is a white bird standing on a fence. But it is very small. Now if you zoom in 2x, you have 1080p footage of the bird with the bird largely filling the frame (which I think would be quite a bit more interesting.)

I am not convinced that 4k makes much difference when viewed on youtube (and it requires a faster connection). However using 4k footage is very helpful in creating a better overall video.

Unfortunately, editing 4k really needs a fairly powerful computer with a decent video card.

Reactions: snipe
I've always shot in 1080p 60fps
Yesterday was the last time I will shoot in 1080P
with my mavic
had a great video Last night looked good inflight when I opened it was another story very sad
That's all I'm going to say about that
.................C.

Yes I have hear of that technique. A great idea. Do you know of one in particular or should I just do a search. Just let me make sure I know what you mean.
You upload a file to a fast machine, render it, play around then when you get it as you want download the finished produce?

Very neat idea for those who can't afford powerful machine at the moment.

Thanks for that.

John
I think what benlorne is referring to is a technique used in be Adobe Premiere Pro...the editing program creates lower res "copies" or proxies of your video files for viewing when editing, then uses the full res files when rendering to final edit....this lowers the resource requirements while editing.

I've always shot in 1080p 60fps
Yesterday was the last time I will shoot in 1080P
with my mavic
had a great video Last night looked good inflight when I opened it was another story very sad
That's all I'm going to say about that
It's well known you should not shoot more than 30fps with the Mavic. 1080p30 works fine.

Reactions: charliesRig
And you are uploading at 4k? Even at 1080p, that is weird and very frustrating for you.

Surely some one know what is going on and help Mr Salty.
It was uploaded at 4K, but the person probably either viewed before Youtube had finished processing the higher resolution version or is playing on a device that youtube decides can't play 4K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada