DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you seen similar problems on your MM video? (only respond if you have a mavic mini)

• Total voters
I'm thinking that this issue lies in the software of the MM. It should be an easy fix as all DJI has to do is have the video be taken from a different area of the sensor. But if it is a hardware issue (lens alignment) then I would think it would be more apparent in pictures because it would use more pixels than the 2.7k video. What do you guys think?
While it might seem 10MB/s should be sufficient we can’t forget that DJI specifies UHS-I Speed Class 3 or above- your class 10 card probably contributed to your issue. It doesn’t meet the minimum spec.

While it might seem 10MB/s should be sufficient we can’t forget that DJI specifies UHS-I Speed Class 3 or above- your class 10 card probably contributed to your issue. It doesn’t meet the minimum spec.
You are getting caught up on the card speed issue. The Lexar 633x is included on the recommended list and is rated the same speed as the SD card I used. But who cares right now. Once I get the replacement drone I will shoot video with the exact same card and see if the distortion is present or not.
Go to 5:40 and he explains about the SD card.

Last edited:
You are getting caught up on the card speed issue. The Lexar 633x is included on the recommended list and is rated the same speed as the SD card I used. But who cares right now. Once I get the replacement drone I will shoot video with the exact same card and see if the distortion is present or not.
Go to 5:40 and he explains about the SD card.
You said the card you were using had a write speed of 10MB/s- that wouldn’t compare to the Lexar. In any case I have had the issue depicted in your sample video and it was 100% the micro SD card.

Reactions: F22arecool
You said the card you were using had a write speed of 10MB/s- that wouldn’t compare to the Lexar. In any case I have had the issue depicted in your sample video and it was 100% the micro SD card.
The card I was using is rated as a U1 or class 10 card. It has the same speed as the lexar 633x.

The card I was using is rated as a U1 or class 10 card. It has the same speed as the lexar 633x.
The lexar is a class 3 card, it is at least 3 times the speed of the Sandisk you were using. Anyway, speed isn’t the only issue, the principal reason I mentioned the card in the first instance is because they can and do have faults on occasion regardless of whether the speed class is met.

Whilst I understand the reasons, people are getting a bit hung up about card speeds.

As I said earlier, I see the exact same problem at all resolutions and framerates and using a card which is on the recommended list and works perfectly well in an M2P with 4K resolution and faster bitrate.

It probably affects about the bottom 10 rows of the picture and is a consistent smearing/distortion throughout the whole video.

I have no issues with images, just video.

Interestingly, if I upload the footage to YouTube it is not visible, which either means that YouTube are cropping the video (it wouldn't be removed by compression) or else as I suggested above this is some form of Codec issue which is why I mentioned my use of Windows 10.

….EDIT
Not Windows 10 specific, I just played on TV and its very obvious on there.

Last edited:
The lexar is a class 3 card, it is at least 3 times the speed of the Sandisk you were using. Anyway, speed isn’t the only issue, the principal reason I mentioned the card in the first instance is because they can and do have faults on occasion regardless of whether the speed class is met.
20191119_072639.jpgIt's a U1... I just don't like when there is misinformation being spread around. But maybe you are right, so that is why I can always try the same card as a control to see the underlying factor that caused the issue. But anyways, thank you fRog2, I really appreciate that you have done other experiments with the other video resolutions and using not just windows 10. It is interesting that youtube cut off the distortion, because in the sample clip I uploaded it was still there.

It is strange that specs state to use a U3 card, but one of the recommendations is a U1. Perhaps the 633x is rated U1, but is faster than 10MB/s and makes the 100Mbs transfer speed, but not fast enough to get the U3 rating.

Reactions: Thomas B
It is strange that specs state to use a U3 card, but one of the recommendations is a U1. Perhaps the 633x is rated U1, but is faster than 10MB/s and makes the 100Mbs transfer speed, but not fast enough to get the U3 rating.
It is because the Mavic Mini is only capable of recording with 40Mbs. If it could record with 100Mbs then a U1 would never be fast enough.

But overall specs say you must use a U3 rated card. Why I don't know, because as you said, data rate is 40Mbs, below the 90Mbs of U1.
Almost all of the recommended cards are U3.

View attachment 85998It's a U1... I just don't like when there is misinformation being spread around. But maybe you are right, so that is why I can always try the same card as a control to see the underlying factor that caused the issue. But anyways, thank you fRog2, I really appreciate that you have done other experiments with the other video resolutions and using not just windows 10. It is interesting that youtube cut off the distortion, because in the sample clip I uploaded it was still there.
Missinformation? My apologies for trying to help. Just so we are crystal clear here- The statement I am making is that a bad SD card can produce artefacts like those that seem to be present in your video sample. It isn't necessarily the problem, all I am saying is it might be and shouldn't be discounted. As to the cards a bit of a mystery with the lexar- it does pull the pants down on the card you were using in write speed by all accounts.

Missinformation? My apologies for trying to help. Just so we are crystal clear here- The statement I am making is that a bad SD card can produce artefacts like those that seem to be present in your video sample. It isn't necessarily the problem, all I am saying is it might be and shouldn't be discounted. As to the cards a bit of a mystery with the lexar- it does pull the pants down on the card you were using in write speed by all accounts.
Sorry I was being rude. I was trying to say that I wouldn't want someone to buy the card and expect it to be a U3. I really do appreciate the help you have given me. And after looking up the write speeds on my card, it does suck lol. So I will do a test with a U3 card and the original card and compare the video quality and artifacts from each card. I will post back once I have a chance with comparable videos taken from both so more people can judge the results. But thank you for offering your help and time.
P.S. Are you willing to post any pictures of images taken with a bad card and the artifacts that happen?

I will return my Mavic Mini and get a replacement since I also have this problem. There are a lot of discussions of this being a memory card issue, but I can see this in all of my cached footage on my phone as well. I have found a couple of YouTube videos which clearly shows this issue.

Hi Hockey, why not wait a while before sending it back. As mentioned, I also have the problem in the videos and I made a report to DJI. The engineers are currently investigating. I will receive their response as soon as possible. If it can be solved through software, then returning the Drone makes little sense because your replacement Drone probably has the same problem.

I got my mavic mini two days ago. I also have this issue. Adding my memory card to the discussion, it's a Samsung Evo Select. U3. Says it has a read/write of 100/90.
I've noticed this effect on youtube channels as well. The one that looks exactly like what I'm seeing is here --you can see it clearly along the bottom edge.

Oddly enough in his video from 7mins to 11 mins the line isn't there. He stops recording to take a picture and when he starts recording again the line is there for the rest of the time. I'm wondering if he was cropping his video at the beginning.

I'm starting to feel like this is a hardware or software related issue and less so memory card. Seems too common.

Reactions: Gebo and F22arecool
I got my mavic mini two days ago. I also have this issue. Adding my memory card to the discussion, it's a Samsung Evo Select. U3. Says it has a read/write of 100/90.
I've noticed this effect on youtube channels as well. The one that looks exactly like what I'm seeing is here --you can see it clearly along the bottom edge.

Oddly enough in his video from 7mins to 11 mins the line isn't there. He stops recording to take a picture and when he starts recording again the line is there for the rest of the time. I'm wondering if he was cropping his video at the beginning.

I'm starting to feel like this is a hardware or software related issue and less so memory card. Seems too common.
Thank you for contributing. I will get my replacement tomorrow, and I will upload some footage. I am surprised that nobody had commented on this issue in the youtube comments ??

Thank you for contributing. I will get my replacement tomorrow, and I will upload some footage. I am surprised that nobody had commented on this issue in the youtube comments ??
I actually left a comment about it. I was curious if he was cropping his videos at all because sometimes its hardly there at all. He mentioned he just noticed the distortion and has contacted DJI.

The more I look around at youtube videos, especially ones where they don't edit the footage, it's almost always there. I'm thinking if this is a hardware defect it might just be something we have to deal with, given how widespread it's looking to be. Hopefully it's something they can sort out in software.

Either way, looking forward to your replacement and results. Hoping for good news!

Ok. Here is my problem. Not only do I have these lines on the bottom of the video where, the video looks distorted, but also "waves" in the video while flying the drone around. Take notice in the previous linked YouTube videos in the lower part of the video approximately in the 4:3 format. You can clearly see that the video is "wavy". This is best noticed when yawing and/or rolling. I experience the same thing and I am not gonna crop my videos this much, no way. If you guys want it, I can try to upload one of my videos and share a link to it.

Hello,
I just bought a mavic mini and there seems to be a problem with the video in 2.7k mode. There is a few pixels that are "stretched" on the bottom border and it is distracting on an otherwise good image. Thank you
on the original clip on the sd card everything is clear, only when i uploaded on youtube appear those bottom lines
i think is about procesing of youtube

Ok. Here is my problem. Not only do I have these lines on the bottom of the video where, the video looks distorted, but also "waves" in the video while flying the drone around. Take notice in the previous linked YouTube videos in the lower part of the video approximately in the 4:3 format. You can clearly see that the video is "wavy". This is best noticed when yawing and/or rolling. I experience the same thing and I am not gonna crop my videos this much, no way. If you guys want it, I can try to upload one of my videos and share a link to it.
Same problem here. You can download the file to view in unedited or compressed format.

mom also waiting for good weather to see if recalibraring the gimbal, IMU, compass helps at all. Though temps are higher today so not sure if it might look better just because the temps are up...

Z

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat