DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you seen similar problems on your MM video? (only respond if you have a mavic mini)

• Total voters
View attachment 86757

the actual video file i have has 1530 lines. i do not see anything at the bottom of the frame, if that is still the 'issue' discussed here, as frankly i lost track of what people do complain about now.

I also checked my footage using VLC Player.

It displays it correctly, without the 6 lines at the bottom, BUT:

I discovered the 6 lines beeing present in the "Buffer dimensions" section (see attached screenshot, and also in your own screenshot).

This proves that a capable player/editing software is needed to handle those extra information. That totally ruins the idea of an instant social media share or mobile edit.

Attachments

• dji3.JPG
    dji3.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: F22arecool
you are correct - the 'movies and tv' player in windows 10 shows lower 6 lines. the VLC and davinci does not show those lower 6 lines. let`s hope they will alter that in the future firmware updates - looks like a bug to me.

The problem doesn't occure on my 1080p footage at all. It's only present with 2,7k.

I also tried a mobile fix/editing solution with KineMaster Pro (which is a pretty good editing app on Android) and hoped the app would handle the 6 garbage lines correctly. With no luck.

I will try DJIs built in Video Editor later. It would be extremely embarrassing if their app didn't get that either.
It seems nobody has greater than 1080 lines in the 1080 footage. That was my point. For reasons unknown DJI has gone off standard with the vertical resolution for 2.7K.

If anybody reads this and if they voted that their footage is normal, can you please check the file data and see what resolution the 2.7k video is. The normal resolution should be 2704 x 1520 and this is standard 2.7k resolution found in other cameras. The data that other members who did have a problem indicates the video is being shot at 2720 x 1536. Both of theses resolutions are wonky and this may be where the problems lie.

I looked hard and could not find the issue in my files. The res is 2720*1536 [when I see file properties]

Having said that, I'm a newbie and am looking for the issue on VLC. When I see the files here which have the issue, it shows on VLC though.

Edit: Went thru the last few posts after I posted this.

Yes, VLC shows it as 1530

Other points. I bought this in the US, so I presume its the FCC version?

Also, I cant see it on my cached phone files either. Not sure what to make of it.

Last edited:
I looked hard and could not find the issue in my files. The res is 2720*1536 [when I see file properties]

Having said that, I'm a newbie and am looking for the issue on VLC. When I see the files here which have the issue, it shows on VLC though.

Edit: Went thru the last few posts after I posted this.

Yes, VLC shows it as 1530

Other points. I bought this in the US, so I presume its the FCC version?

Also, I cant see it on my cached phone files either. Not sure what to make of it.
ignore it. all proper players remove those lower 6 lines. i think after the post-processing in the davinci resolve it also will be removed.
for now it is not a defect - it is a feature, and hopefully in time it will be adjusted in the dji code. for now, it is just there, so, who cares.

1575045501445.png

It seems nobody has greater than 1080 lines in the 1080 footage. That was my point. For reasons unknown DJI has gone off standard with the vertical resolution for 2.7K.

I have the same issue with 1080 footage. I haven't checked the video dimensions, but the corrupted lines at the bottom and top of the video are still there.

ignore it. all proper players remove those lower 6 lines. i think after the post-processing in the davinci resolve it also will be removed.
for now it is not a defect - it is a feature, and hopefully in time it will be adjusted in the dji code. for now, it is just there, so, who cares.

As someone who doesn't use Davinci Resolve (I user Power Director normally) and who likes to play videos direct on TV straight out of the drone I care.

As it stands I have to add an extra phase to my post-processing to crop off the top and bottom lines of the video. I could do without that.

I am not convinced about the "proper players" argument - surely a proper player should display the full contents of a video file at the resolution given in the video file, not a cropped, resized version of it.

As someone who doesn't use Davinci Resolve (I user Power Director normally) and who likes to play videos direct on TV straight out of the drone I care.

As it stands I have to add an extra phase to my post-processing to crop off the top and bottom lines of the video. I could do without that.

I am not convinced about the "proper players" argument - surely a proper player should display the full contents of a video file at the resolution given in the video file, not a cropped, resized version of it.
open a ticket with DJI support on this, may be they will fix it.

Absent the intent of sarcasm this would seem to be a ridiculous position to hold with any honesty.

Look at the market for the mini- it without question includes a contingent who have no intent of rooting around with editing and grading.

How might you propose they might feel about at least six lines of apparently not intended to be there garbage bottom of frame?

Its easy to put a spin on things and make excuses rather than admit you failed miserably in the design and testing phases.

If DJI didn't notice this on its own, it would be extremely embarrassing.

There are certainly many more discussions to follow on this subject. This issue is far too conspicuous to go unnoticed.

Absent the intent of sarcasm this would seem to be a ridiculous position to hold with any honesty.

Look at the market for the mini- it without question includes a contingent who have no intent of rooting around with editing and grading.

How might you propose they might feel about at least six lines of apparently not intended to be there garbage bottom of frame?

Its easy to put a spin on things and make excuses rather than admit you failed miserably in the design and testing phases.
Thank you for pointing this out. The problem is DJI's fault and it is pretty shallow for them to say to just use a different player and semi-blaming the consumer for not having upper tier software to get good footage out of a lower tier drone. I have never heard of another camera producing something like this and have someone say it is a feature.

View attachment 86842

How is it a 'feature'?

There are certainly many more discussions to follow on this subject. This issue is far too conspicuous to go unnoticed.
A quick look at the history reveals that most, is not all DJI products, either have features absent or issues at first release that are addressed in firmware releases. Frustrating and inconvenient but understandable. Pretending it is supposed to be like it when most would immediately arrive at the conclusion it is an obvious fault probably isn’t the best approach they might take. I’m don’t have the use for a mini right now but had I have purchased one with this issue it would be returned for a refund.

you obviously do not deal much with products of the chinese tech. they are trying, but they got a long way to go. what you got here, is, unfortunately, quite typical - a great idea, but an implementation, well, sucks.
mostly, due to the way how they conduct business and, well, overall mentality of the whole process. it is also, not a defect, but, unfortunately, it is a feature.

you obviously do not deal much with products of the chinese tech. they are trying, but they got a long way to go. what you got here, is, unfortunately, quite typical - a great idea, but an implementation, well, sucks.
mostly, due to the way how they conduct business and, well, overall mentality of the whole process. it is also, not a defect, but, unfortunately, it is a feature.
You might assist in my understanding here however I struggle to think of any examples where a negative attribute or property which detracts from the intended use or application of anything might be described as a feature. The word we might expect to find would be defect.

I have the same issue as OP. Doesn't show up on YouTube though. I think the reply from DJI is the correct answer, although their choice of words could've been better.

I have the CE version of the Mini and HD videos come out at 1920x1080px with no funny band at the bottom. 2.7k videos are reported to be 2720x1536px by windows explorer and media player, and play with a 6px wide stretched stripe across the bottom. Opening the same 2.7k file on the same computer with MPC-HC player they view correctly (no stretched band at the bottom) and it reports the resolution as 2720x1530px. Perhaps a "poorly" encoded video that a lot of popular video players get caught out by?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661