DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just curious, can THIS trick Aeroscope?

Good luck to the FAA demanding +/-15' accuracy. Civvie GPS is still mostly inaccurate at 3 times that distance. Military GPS isn't much better.
I think you need to change that to "SOMETIMES" is inaccurate. There are other times when it is extremely accurate. It is not always out by 3 feet or more. Also, if you can bring it back to home within 9ft of your takeoff point, then that should be good enough because you should be able to hear and see it when it is coming in to land. So why quibble over a few feet? You don't really need inches accuracy anyway, for what 99.9% of those on this forum are flying for.

As far as I know, there are basically two ways to get rid of Aeroscope:

1. Jeepdors hack on github, which works with old drones like the Mini 2 on old firmware and old versions of the fly app (else the fly app will restart Aeroscope as soon as you connect the drone to it).
  2. Get a drone from another brand like Skydio, Autel, Parrot, etc.
The DJI modules for DIY drones may or may not be vulnerable to Aeroscope; I presume yes, but haven't tried.

Switching the phone to airplane mode will only change it from transmitting your real time location to just your takeoff location, same for RID.

RID only starts emitting when you engage the motors, but Aeroscope may start emitting right after powering on the drone.

Aeroscope only remains a problem for those using "old" DJI drones, "new" DJI drones like the M3, Air2S, Mini 3 or Avata have a bigger problem, which is embedded RID, that can be picked up by anyone used OpendroneID or DroneScanner on their phones/tablets from at least 3.5Km away (from the drone) according to my tests and yep, you don't need to be in the US for it to transmit, it also works i EU.

Reactions: Yaros
"new" DJI drones like the M3, Air2S, Mini 3 or Avata have a bigger problem, which is embedded RID, that can be picked up by anyone used OpendroneID or DroneScanner on their phones/tablets from at least 3.5Km away
Interestingly enough, I can't pick up a signal using DroneScanner on my phone (even with Wi-Fi throttling turned off) from an Air 2S that my friend is flying. Maybe it is because he is using a slightly older firmware and software.

Interestingly enough, I can't pick up a signal using DroneScanner on my phone (even with Wi-Fi throttling turned off) from an Air 2S that my friend is flying. Maybe it is because he is using a slightly older firmware and software.

Yep, Air2S has been some time in the market previous to RID, so if he has skipped the latest firmwares it won't emit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143