DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just ordered CrystalSky monitor

Informative discussion here folks. For me with the 5.5, I haven’t noticed the reflective issues. And no connectivity issues with the CS. And I’m with the others who like the CS below the controller. Maneuvers and positioning in the hands mimick using a phone for your display, which I’ve always used.

Good info here about the glasses too. But I’m afraid the CS would become obsolete if I purchased them, kinda like what Iannes discovered. Plus, I’d really like to try them out before purchasing as I can’t really envision what the experience is like when wearing them. But the review by Ed Ricker is quite helpful.

Reactions: RolandW
Okay, I just took temp readings using my IR on my CS UB. I ran the UB at full brightness while having the DJI Go app running and web browser running in the background. My test ran for 40 minutes at room temp (72 F). The warmest reading I got was 115 F where the HDMI & USB ports are located.

Informative discussion here folks. For me with the 5.5, I haven’t noticed the reflective issues. And no connectivity issues with the CS. And I’m with the others who like the CS below the controller. Maneuvers and positioning in the hands mimick using a phone for your display, which I’ve always used.

Good info here about the glasses too. But I’m afraid the CS would become obsolete if I purchased them, kinda like what Iannes discovered. Plus, I’d really like to try them out before purchasing as I can’t really envision what the experience is like when wearing them. But the review by Ed Ricker is quite helpful.
Yes, I came to this thread, obviously, with the CrystalSky in mind. Now I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the glasses, which I had sort of forgotten about since researching them early on (getting old sucks). I really wanted to try Litchi, however. I assume there's a way to get it on the BT-300, but frankly I'm getting a little tired of searching, reading and fiddling with this stuff all day and I just want to practice flying with something that's solid. I didn't intend for Mavic-tweaking to become my full-time job! ;)

I'm getting a little tired of searching, reading and fiddling with this stuff all day and I just want to practice flying with something that's solid. I didn't intend for Mavic-tweaking to become my full-time job! ;)
Ha. I hear ya. And just think of how compounded researching and fiddling would become if you were having to learn to use the glasses in addition to piloting. Oy!

I think I'm gonna try to hold off on the glasses for now, but keep up with what folks are experiencing, and continue to enjoy my CS and becoming a better pilot.

Last edited:
Ha. I hear ya. And just think of how compounded researching and fiddling would become if you were having to learn to use the glasses in addition to piloting. Oy!

I think I'm gonna try to hold off on the glasses for now, but keep up with what folks are experiencing, and continue to enjoy my CS and becoming a better pilot.
I'd say that's the smart thing to do, given that you already have the CS. Since I don't, the glasses are going to be hard to resist. I'm assuming that when dedicated to the Mavic they amount to a heads-up display for GO 4, so the learning curve shouldn't be too bad. I've had an app crash almost every flight with the "Wunderphone." That's unpleasant any time, but especially right now when I'm trying to get the confidence to fly farther and faster. Speaking of faster, I tried Sport Mode for the first time yesterday. Fun!

Can some one help me out...I'm planning on a CS and I have 3 birds plus and osmo pro,none of them are on current fw and would like to keep them were they are...if I get CS will I have to update all the birds as well and CS to continue using as before..

Can some one help me out...I'm planning on a CS and I have 3 birds plus and osmo pro,none of them are on current fw and would like to keep them were they are...if I get CS will I have to update all the birds as well and CS to continue using as before..

Depending on the build date, the CS will either come with DJI Go 4 4.1.15 or 4.1.18 preloaded, you will need to work out the compatibility of these versions with what you have on the AC's.

It's next to impossible to downgrade the firmware, so you'll need to make the choice carefully

Reactions: badbiggz
I'd say that's the smart thing to do, given that you already have the CS. Since I don't, the glasses are going to be hard to resist. I'm assuming that when dedicated to the Mavic they amount to a heads-up display for GO 4, so the learning curve shouldn't be too bad. I've had an app crash almost every flight with the "Wunderphone." That's unpleasant any time, but especially right now when I'm trying to get the confidence to fly farther and faster. Speaking of faster, I tried Sport Mode for the first time yesterday. Fun!

The BT-300 has the complete DJI Go 4 app that you can look through for VLOS. I also use the glasses for watching 3d movies etc. and the AR apps are fun to play with.
You can cast/mirror the pc to it or miracast the BT-300 to other compatible devices

This review by Ed Ricker gives you the best overview of it's capabilities when flying the Mavic, without having to explain everything

Last edited:
Depending on the build date, the CS will either come with DJI Go 4 4.1.15 or 4.1.18 preloaded, you will need to work out the compatibility of these versions with what you have on the AC's.

It's next to impossible to downgrade the firmware, so you'll need to make the choice carefully
I'll just pass on it for now.That's to much to worry about when I'm enjoying the device's I currently use with no issue (well lil to no issue)..well I do like the idea of having a CS,the hdmi would be nice to have to use with the zeiss cinemizer's or headplay's on the mavic,no sun hood,ect..Thank you

The BT-300 has the complete DJI Go 4 app that you can look through for VLOS. I also use the glasses for watching 3d movies etc. and the AR apps are fun to play with.
You can cast/mirror the pc to it or miracast the BT-300 to other compatible devices

This review by Ed Ricker gives you the best overview of it's capabilities when flying the Mavic, without having to explain everything

So I could pretend to be watching The Bachelor with the wife (torture) but really be watching Ed Ricker videos? Sold! ;)

Yes, I came to this thread, obviously, with the CrystalSky in mind. Now I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the glasses, which I had sort of forgotten about since researching them early on (getting old sucks). I really wanted to try Litchi, however. I assume there's a way to get it on the BT-300, but frankly I'm getting a little tired of searching, reading and fiddling with this stuff all day and I just want to practice flying with something that's solid. I didn't intend for Mavic-tweaking to become my full-time job! ;)

That's why I gave up on other drone brands... I was spending way too much time tweaking rather than flying. It's like the difference between Harley and Suzuki in motorcycles.

LOL...I wish upgrading/modding my Harley was as cheap as drone upgrades.:)

When I owned Harley, I worked on it because I had to. I work on my Suzuki because I want to. That's the difference in my experience with drones. My 3DR Solo had to be modified to fly with any confidence, range, gps reliability, etc. Not the case with a Mavic. You can pull it out of the box and fly confidently.

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
Yeah that is kinda getting out of my price range though.

Over the holiday the iPad mini was on sale for $299. Now it's back to $399 and the CS 5.5 is pretty close to that, then I would need a charger, a mount and who knows what else.

The biggest reason for thinking iPad was seeing a couple posts about the CS being last for updates but I am also getting the impression that the thing just works so the updates would be features anyhow not for bugs.

When the MP came out I knew it was the bird for me, no doubt. But now down to picking a dedicated screen. Whew it's killing me.

Doesn't CS use the android OS?

Yeah that is kinda getting out of my price range though.

Over the holiday the iPad mini was on sale for $299. Now it's back to $399 and the CS 5.5 is pretty close to that, then I would need a charger, a mount and who knows what else.

The biggest reason for thinking iPad was seeing a couple posts about the CS being last for updates but I am also getting the impression that the thing just works so the updates would be features anyhow not for bugs.

When the MP came out I knew it was the bird for me, no doubt. But now down to picking a dedicated screen. Whew it's killing me.

This may help you decide: CS uses the android OS

First flight today with my CS 7" UB. The good news is that I love the size and the brightness makes flying in direct sun a no-brain-er. The bad news is that all of a sudden, after maybe 20 minutes of flying, the display went blank. If I hit the power button all I can hear is a clicking sound. Changing the battery to a freshly charged one did not help.

Any ideas? Is there some combination of buttons that I need to push.

Pretty sucky quality for $1000 display if I did nothing wrong :(

First flight today with my CS 7" UB. The good news is that I love the size and the brightness makes flying in direct sun a no-brain-er. The bad news is that all of a sudden, after maybe 20 minutes of flying, the display went blank. If I hit the power button all I can hear is a clicking sound. Changing the battery to a freshly charged one did not help.

Well that sucks...keep us informed on what DJI says

This is another backlight failure on the CS UB, there have been quite a few so far, unfortunately it's a warranty return.

Did you notice by any chance that the CS was extremely hot on the back ?

Last edited:
Hi folks. I’ve been using my new iPhone X hoping it’d be better than the 7 in bright light but that wasn’t the case. Id forgotten all about these monitors until I saw them mentioned on someone’s post today. So I got the 5.5 model, the phantom charger as I heard the Mavic’s wouldn’t work and also dji’s adapter and a case for the monitor. Got the smaller one as I read that most folks were happy with that size and it seems fit the Mavic nicely. Adexture had everything in stock and it was easy to purchase the items over their chat option.

Anyway, looking forward to getting set up with the monitor but need the weather to cooperate in Florida’s panhandle. Anything I need to know?

I love my CrystalSky except for the fact that even though it is android based, it runs on a special version of the DJI GO4 app and DJI updates that version last, so new features that come out like panorama mode won't be available

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61