DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just ordered CrystalSky monitor

Do you mean my case ??

This case. It looks like it was custom done. I have a case now that holds the Mavic, two batteries, the controller, some extra props and a few other pieces but would like to be able to add my Crystal 7" and the mount for it all in one case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 4.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 4.07.15 PM.png
    676.8 KB · Views: 23
Advexure: I'm anxiously awaiting more comments on Moverio. Just when I'm about ready to order a CrystalSky, I think "Oh, wait a minute. Epson has those glasses..."
Anthony Viscomi: You are using the large ultra-bright with the DJI Mavic mount, correct? How is that for balance, access to the sticks, etc.?
For the group:
- Does the CS screen show your reflection in bright conditions? Apparently this doesn't bother some people, but to me it's almost as bad as lack of brightness with the ultra-glossy phone and tablet screens.
- How reliable is it flying with a CS? I would be willing to pay a premium for something that is rock-solid. Not fond of app crashes and other surprises, especially when there's so much to learn.
- I wonder about stick access with some of these mounts that position the CS flat. I want to be able to see the controller display, but some of the mounts that allow for that look like they would block the sticks somewhat, with the top edge of the CS being near them.
- Looks to me like the balance problem could be alleviated by connecting a neck lanyard to the bottom edge of the CS so your arms wouldn't have to support all of the weight.
Thanks!

Advexure: I'm anxiously awaiting more comments on Moverio. Just when I'm about ready to order a CrystalSky, I think "Oh, wait a minute. Epson has those glasses..."
Anthony Viscomi: You are using the large ultra-bright with the DJI Mavic mount, correct? How is that for balance, access to the sticks, etc.?
For the group:
- Does the CS screen show your reflection in bright conditions? Apparently this doesn't bother some people, but to me it's almost as bad as lack of brightness with the ultra-glossy phone and tablet screens.
- How reliable is it flying with a CS? I would be willing to pay a premium for something that is rock-solid. Not fond of app crashes and other surprises, especially when there's so much to learn.
- I wonder about stick access with some of these mounts that position the CS flat. I want to be able to see the controller display, but some of the mounts that allow for that look like they would block the sticks somewhat, with the top edge of the CS being near them.
- Looks to me like the balance problem could be alleviated by connecting a neck lanyard to the bottom edge of the CS so your arms wouldn't have to support all of the weight.
Thanks!
Yes I am using CS UB and the DJI Mount. Balance is subjective depending on the pilot. I personally like the screen below my RC, prior had an iPad Mini. I suppose a lanyard would help with balancing.

The UB CS is bright as anything I've ever seen, though some are having overheating issues @lannes can attest to this issue.

Should also note that I've use the BT300 glasses and if choice is one or the other. then 100% go with the CrystalSky UB

Reactions: RolandW
Yes I am using CS UB and the DJI Mount. Balance is subjective depending on the pilot. I personally like the screen below my RC, prior had an iPad Mini. I suppose a lanyard would help with balancing.

The UB CS is bright as anything I've ever seen, though some are having overheating issues @lannes can attest to this issue.

Should also note that I've use the BT300 glasses and if choice is one or the other. then 100% go with the CrystalSky UB
Ah, yes, sorry: I forgot that you did mention the glasses. What don't you like about them? I definitely would go with the UB if I got a CrystalSky. My vision out in bright sun is the worst. I like the idea of having no third-party hardware too. The glasses, however, would be little more than half the price, once I added a charger and mount for the CS.

Ah, yes, sorry: I forgot that you did mention the glasses. What don't you like about them? I definitely would go with the UB if I got a CrystalSky. My vision out in bright sun is the worst. I like the idea of having no third-party hardware too. The glasses, however, would be little more than half the price, once I added a charger and mount for the CS.
Not so much that I didn't like them, though I hated the track-pad on the controller. I prefer flying with a tablet.

Not so much that I didn't like them, though I hated the track-pad on the controller. I prefer flying with a tablet.
Do you not like track-pads in general or is there something about the Moverio's that is particularly annoying? Not crazy about them myself, but then I'm not fond of poking and swiping a phone screen either. Something tells me that my preferred input devices – mouse and full-size keyboard – are not going to catch on in the drone world any time soon. ;)

Do you not like track-pads in general or is there something about the Moverio's that is particularly annoying? Not crazy about them myself, but then I'm not fond of poking and swiping a phone screen either. Something tells me that my preferred input devices – mouse and full-size keyboard – are not going to catch on in the drone world any time soon. ;)
I dislike all trackpads...

For the group:
Thanks!

• The CS does show reflections but if you have it at max brightness these are not so evident
  • So far the CS has not crashed for me, but it's a function of heat, the hotter it get the more issues DJI Go 4 will have, for me DJI has not yet addressed the overheating problem on the Ultra. After 1 hr of continuous use at max brightness we have a risk of a backlight failure due to a "reflow" from the heat, when the fan does not kick in.
  • As with Anthony, I prefer the CS below the Mavic controller, with the larger Ultra you actually end up supporting the Utra by the top corners in your palms, your finger support the controller and then your thumbs fall on the control sticks.
  • Slight issue with the bottom issue for lanyand connection, because the CS is inverted when using the DJI Mavic CS mount, the GPS is at the bottom, so I wouldn't be drilling anywhere near here. The larger CS has 2 thread holes on the left hand side (when connect upside down to the Mavic mount), which you could attach some sort of bracket to but since it's only on one side it is lopsided.
I personally would hold off on the CS Ultra for awhile to see if the backlight issues disappear, but they may just be a design fault with having a panel that is too bright, all that energy has to dissipate somewhere and maybe DJI have not solved this just yet.

When it comes the BT-300, I'm the biggest fan boy ever, it's the way of the future, yes the track pad takes a bit of getting use to, but it also has a cross key touch sensor (like arrow keys on a keyboard) which help you navigate menu's etc. Using the BT-300 is great fun, but you need to re-orientate the way you look through them, while at the same time concentrating on the DJI Go 4 app.
I think Ed Ricker has done the best review on them, I like using them when hiking as they are so much lighter than carrying the Ultra and it's heavy batteries.

I started off using the CS a lot, but after getting use to the glasses more, this is now starting to be my go to solution. There is no doubting the learning curve though.

Useful accessories include the Rochester Optical Solitaire Ace enclosure that fully encloses the glasses to make them more like goggles

Last edited:
  • The CS does show reflections but if you have it at max brightness these are not so evident
  • So far the CS has not crashed for me, but it's a function of heat, the hotter it get the more issues DJI Go 4 will have, for me DJI has not yet addressed the overheating problem on the Ultra. After 1 hr of continuous use at max brightness we have a risk of a backlight failure due to a "reflow" from the heat, when the fan does not kick in.
  • As with Anthony, I prefer the CS below the Mavic controller, with the larger Ultra you actually end up supporting the Utra by the top corners in your palms, your finger support the controller and then your thumbs fall on the control sticks.
  • Slight issue with the bottom issue for lanyand connection, because the CS is inverted when using the DJI Mavic CS mount, the GPS is at the bottom, so I wouldn't be drilling anywhere near here. The larger CS has 2 thread holes on the left hand side (when connect upside down to the Mavic mount), which you could attach some sort of bracket to but since it's only on one side it is lopsided.
I personally would hold off on the CS Ultra for awhile to see if the backlight issues disappear, but they may just be a design fault with having a panel that is too bright, all that energy has to dissipate somewhere and maybe DJI have not solved this just yet.

When it comes the BT-300, I'm the biggest fan boy ever, it's the way of the future, yes the track pad takes a bit of getting use to, but it also has a cross key touch sensor (like arrow keys on a keyboard) which help you navigate menu's etc. Using the BT-300 is great fun, but you need to re-orientate the way you look through them, while at the same time concentrating on the DJI Go 4 app.
I think Ed Ricker has done the best review on them, I like using them when hiking as they are so much lighter than carrying the Ultra and it's heavy batteries.

I started off using the CS a lot, but after getting use to the glasses more, this is now starting to be my go to solution. There is no doubting the learning curve though.

Thank you! Do you know how the glasses work if you have decent distance vision, but need glasses for reading? I do use reading glasses for small type, but can get by without them a lot of the time. I'm assuming that it's the "perceived distance" of the heads-up image from your eye that counts, so I should be OK? I suppose I should be asking about this in a BT-300 thread.

Thank you! Do you know how the glasses work if you have decent distance vision, but need glasses for reading? I do use reading glasses for small type, but can get by without them a lot of the time. I'm assuming that it's the "perceived distance" of the heads-up image from your eye that counts, so I should be OK? I suppose I should be asking about this in a BT-300 thread.

I also need glasses for reading and have good distance vision, but I don't need any correction for BT-300, it does however comes with an insert so you can have lenses put in, or you can wear the BT-300 over your reading glasses.

So bottom line I don't use my glasses with the BT-300

I also need glasses for reading and have good distance vision, but I don't need any correction for BT-300, it does however comes with an insert so you can have lenses put in, or you can wear the BT-300 over your reading glasses.

So bottom line I don't use my glasses with the BT-300
+1 I had no issues using the BT-300 w/o my glasses, unlike with the DJI goggle where I had to "rig" up some lenses and mount inside goggles.

For the guys with overheating with the UB and the DJI mount I wonder if it's because it's upside down? Heat rises and it's been my contention from the beginning that DJI didn't design the CS with the Mavic in mind.

PGY makes a lanyard kit for the Mavic and CS. I believe Amazon still carries it. I personally used a wrist strap connected to the mounting bolt. I don't think I need an actual lanyard but if u did, I'd probably rig something using the mount bolts.

I wonder if it's because it's upside down? Heat rises and it's been my contention from the beginning that DJI didn't design the CS with the Mavic in mind.
That's an admirable thought, but heat/cooling issues have plagued high-powered compact electronics for years. The only way to avoid such issues is in the design phase. Example, I have a high-powered ASUS desktop and in order to get around heat issues they use an external power supply.

That's an admirable thought, but heat/cooling issues have plagued high-powered compact electronics for years. The only way to avoid such issues is in the design phase. Example, I have a high-powered ASUS desktop and in order to get around heat issues they use an external power supply.

Just thinking from a mechanic's perspective, you know? You're holding something that was designed to be oriented one way, upside down. Definitely, the 2000 nits is an issue for sure. They probably use the same fans, power supply, cooling, etc between the two models relying on the lesser model's specs to be sufficient for the greater. Rather than engineering for the greater and using that for the lesser.

Just thinking from a mechanic's perspective, you know? You're holding something that was designed to be oriented one way, upside down. Definitely, the 2000 nits is an issue for sure. They probably use the same fans, power supply, cooling, etc between the two models relying on the lesser model's specs to be sufficient for the greater. Rather than engineering for the greater and using that for the lesser.
My CS UB gets warm, but then again I live in the Northeast and its 20 degrees outside.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60