DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just ordered CrystalSky monitor

Oh wow. Thank you for your feedback !

I may want to look at the CS 7.85 HB then - as soon as I get enough coin lol.
I have been reading that the latest version of the "high end" iPad and the iPhone X perform well in sunlight

I am saving my coins for CS as I live in Florida and sun hood's don't cut it with my iPad Mini 4.

Really interested in the 7.85 inch CS.

What's the big difference between the high brightness version and the ultra bright version ?
I can tell you the photos and videos that I have seen do not do the CS justice, they look so much better in person.
The CS 5.5 is 1000 nits and It is 4 times brighter than an iPad mini 4. The CS 7.85 UB is 2000 nits, so it is double in brightness of the CS 5.5.
I also live in FL and needed a brighter display so I went with the 5.5 for portability with my Mavic. I am so impressed that I am going to pick up a 7.85 UB for use with my Inspire.

I had the CS 7,85 ultra bright with 2000 cd/m2

So , that is dopple brightness then the other CS,- that’s the difference- see photos

It is amazing how brightness it look in the sun - unbelievable!!

I love it, even with the changeable of the batteries, and the batteries type will fit from CS in my new Cendence controller too!!

What an fun, as well I switch the controller on, and automatically the CS starts and open the DJI Go automatically and open the flying pictures of the DJI Go 4
wonderfull !!
Speedy
E6969A76-FE40-4260-8405-503CAB38D91E.jpeg

I tried the 7.85 Ultra with my Mavic, and found it way too heavy. The 5.5” is just the right size combo for the Mavic, IMO.

This is a great thread. I bought the 5.5 and the 7.85 CS not being sure which would suit me. I like the larger one better so I may sell the 5.5 if anyone wants a deal. Make me a reasonable offer.

Thanks,
Kleetus

Reactions: Advexure
I am saving my coins for CS as I live in Florida and sun hood's don't cut it with my iPad Mini 4.

Really interested in the 7.85 inch CS.

What's the big difference between the high brightness version and the ultra bright version ?

Here is one of the comparison videos

I ordered the large version (old eyes)but it is out of stock for quite some time. Ordered it from B&H Photo as they were having a sale - but I did not see they were back-ordered. I also ordered the battery recharger since the Mavic charger won't work and the cable.

I also ordered THIS mount from Evolution 3D, which should be here soon (apparently made via 3D printing ?).

DJI CrystalSky Buying Guide from Advexure

Factors to consider when choosing a CrystalSky for your Mavic

• PORTABILITY – Remember the Mavic was designed around portability, while a larger display is nice, the 5.5" complements the Mavic's small footprint to maintain a "run and gun" setup that is easy to move around with. Some people really don't move around and travel with their Mavic, maybe they just fly in their backyard or a very local park, then you may want to look towards the 7.85" if portability isn't a primary concern to you.
  • BRIGHTNESS – iPhones currently top out at about 630 nit brightness while the newest iPads just around 500 nits. Your two options with CrystalSkys are already 1,000 nits and 2,000 nits (CS Ultra is 2,000). How comfortable are you with the brightness of the current device you are using? You can locate your device on this list and see the brightness in nits. Is double or even triple the brightness necessary and worthwhile to you?
  • MOUNTING – There's lots of discussion about mounting options for CrystalSky on the Mavic RC. We primarily work with two options, DJI's Mount for Mavic and the MavMount. Keep in mind the size of the Mavic RC and how that compares to a 5.5" display or a 7.85" display. A 7.85" is significantly larger than the RC's footprint. Think about weight distribution, with a display size that is larger than the footprint of the mounting and securing peripheral, weight is distributed farther from the center of gravity reducing perfect balance. MavMount does a great job of keeping the CrystalSky's weight right over the COG of the Mavic RC. On the otherhand, the DJI Mount puts all of the weight far below the RC and particularly with the 7.85" model, some report that it is awkward to hold. Therefore, our recommendation is the MavMount for 7.85" models or 5.5" models and DJI's Mount for 5.5" models.
Purchasing the DJI CrystalSky Monitor

Available Monitor/Display Models:
Available Mounting Brackets:
Cable Needed to Connect CS to Mavic RC if using MavMount:
**Charger Needed!** – Mavic Owners need a compatible charger for the Charging Hub
Should you have any questions locating the right components or understanding what you need with your CrystalSky please reach out to one of our experts and we will be happy to assist.
  • PM Advexure here on MavicPilots
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Live Chat at Advexure.com
  • Phone: (424) 317-4450
This thread is not focused on comparing CS to iPad but the worthwhile information for this discussion is that there is no comparison between with the CrystalSky and an iPad because CS units don't overheat! :cool: Check out this video by one of our clients in Las Vegas on a 118 degree day.

We hope all of the above information assists in your researching and purchasing process of a DJI CrystalSky.

Safe flying,
The Advexure Team

For the smaller 5.5, I'd get the official Dji Mavic Mount , it can also be used with Spark controller as well. Much more compact and lighter than the Mav mount making it easier to carry and pack away.
I can put it in my bag still connected and there are no loose cable to worry about

View attachment 27929
Use the same mount. I like it because it gets the monitor out of the way. I need to see my controller. CS is fantastic. I also use my Epson Moverio BT-300. That is also great.

I like mine. I also have the DJI bracket and the Polar Pro cover. Screen of the CS is recessed so I don't think the cover comes near it.

To those who have the 7" version of the Crystal Sky monitor. I read that this display weighs 3 POUNDS vs about 1/3 of a pound for my current iPhone 6 Plus. I went to our exercise room to lift a 3 pound weight and I can't image carrying around the Mavic controller and this 3 pound weight for a few hours of flying. Do owners find this weight to be any significant disadvantage? The 5" weighs about 2 pounds.

To those who have the 7" version of the Crystal Sky monitor. I read that this display weighs 3 POUNDS vs about 1/3 of a pound for my current iPhone 6 Plus. I went to our exercise room to lift a 3 pound weight and I can't image carrying around the Mavic controller and this 3 pound weight for a few hours of flying. Do owners find this weight to be any significant disadvantage? The 5" weighs about 2 pounds.

Just weighed the 7.85 ultra, it weighs 1.5 lbs with the battery and the DJI metal bracket attached.

Just weighed the 7.85 ultra, it weighs 1.5 lbs with the battery and the DJI metal bracket attached.
7.85 is no where near 3lbs

I like mine. I also have the DJI bracket and the Polar Pro cover. Screen of the
I like mine. I also have the DJI bracket and the Polar Pro cover. Screen of the CS is recessed so I don't think the cover comes near it.

I agree with @Lon Denard, it is recessed enough that it does not touch the screen, only the bezel. And when I am not traveling with it, no worries. But the Polar Pro cover is flexible enough to touch the screen and when it is being transported in a backpack or other. Things move around (Shift happens), and as a precaution I have an inexpensive screen protector on the CS as well as all my mobile devices. It is just one more layer of cheap protection that can quickly be replaced if a minor scratch or rub mark occurs.

Reactions: Photo Beaty
After I saw your response to the weight, I re-looked again and it says 2.5 pounds (shipping weight of 2.85 pounds). See attached but I am glad it only weighs 1.5 pounds.

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 9.11.23 AM.png

Hopefully it will arrive when Amazon said it would in a few days. That is one very bright monitor.

Thanks

After I saw your response to the weight, I re-looked again and it says 2.5 pounds (shipping weight of 2.85 pounds). See attached but I am glad it only weighs 1.5 pounds.

View attachment 28249

Hopefully it will arrive when Amazon said it would in a few days. That is one very bright monitor.

Thanks

the extra weight is probably because the package lists 2 batteries, which the 7.85 comes with

I agree with @Lon Denard, it is recessed enough that it does not touch the screen, only the bezel. And when I am not traveling with it, no worries. But the Polar Pro cover is flexible enough to touch the screen and when it is being transported in a backpack or other. Things move around (Shift happens), and as a precaution I have an inexpensive screen protector on the CS as well as all my mobile devices. It is just one more layer of cheap protection that can quickly be replaced if a minor scratch or rub mark occurs.

That's fair enough. I carry mine in a hard case as well.

DJI CrystalSky Buying Guide from Advexure

Factors to consider when choosing a CrystalSky for your Mavic

• PORTABILITY – Remember the Mavic was designed around portability, while a larger display is nice, the 5.5" complements the Mavic's small footprint to maintain a "run and gun" setup that is easy to move around with. Some people really don't move around and travel with their Mavic, maybe they just fly in their backyard or a very local park, then you may want to look towards the 7.85" if portability isn't a primary concern to you.
  • BRIGHTNESS – iPhones currently top out at about 630 nit brightness while the newest iPads just around 500 nits. Your two options with CrystalSkys are already 1,000 nits and 2,000 nits (CS Ultra is 2,000). How comfortable are you with the brightness of the current device you are using? You can locate your device on this list and see the brightness in nits. Is double or even triple the brightness necessary and worthwhile to you?
  • MOUNTING – There's lots of discussion about mounting options for CrystalSky on the Mavic RC. We primarily work with two options, DJI's Mount for Mavic and the MavMount. Keep in mind the size of the Mavic RC and how that compares to a 5.5" display or a 7.85" display. A 7.85" is significantly larger than the RC's footprint. Think about weight distribution, with a display size that is larger than the footprint of the mounting and securing peripheral, weight is distributed farther from the center of gravity reducing perfect balance. MavMount does a great job of keeping the CrystalSky's weight right over the COG of the Mavic RC. On the otherhand, the DJI Mount puts all of the weight far below the RC and particularly with the 7.85" model, some report that it is awkward to hold. Therefore, our recommendation is the MavMount for 7.85" models or 5.5" models and DJI's Mount for 5.5" models.
Purchasing the DJI CrystalSky Monitor

Available Monitor/Display Models:
Available Mounting Brackets:
Cable Needed to Connect CS to Mavic RC if using MavMount:
**Charger Needed!** – Mavic Owners need a compatible charger for the Charging Hub
Should you have any questions locating the right components or understanding what you need with your CrystalSky please reach out to one of our experts and we will be happy to assist.
  • PM Advexure here on MavicPilots
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Live Chat at Advexure.com
  • Phone: (424) 317-4450
This thread is not focused on comparing CS to iPad but the worthwhile information for this discussion is that there is no comparison between with the CrystalSky and an iPad because CS units don't overheat! :cool: Check out this video by one of our clients in Las Vegas on a 118 degree day.

We hope all of the above information assists in your researching and purchasing process of a DJI CrystalSky.

Safe flying,
The Advexure Team

Thanks for putting all this info in one place!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky