DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Mini 2 on a moving boat with many obstacles

Robifz

Reactions
I have been hand launching and landing my Mini 2 from a stationary yacht many times. Also have hand launched from a moving yacht. But I cannot figure out what is the best way to land it on a moving yacht. Yes I have researched but all hand catch using a phantom which is easy because it has legs and is large to catch. But the small mini 2 on a moving and rolling yacht is a mission I want to master. Hand catching is very difficult because you need to keep the same speed as the boat and at the same time the boat is moving because of waves and the speed is not constant. I thought of catching it in a fishing net but that would damage the props? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Photo_6553837_DJI_237_jpg_4279662_0_20216178286_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553837_DJI_237_jpg_4279662_0_20216178286_photo_original.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 122
I'm intending on doing the same thing, slightly easier though, because it's from a sailing catamaran.

I've ordered a set of floats. These will give me something substantial to grab hold of, plus if the worst happens at least the drone won't sink and will be recoverable to send to care/refresh.

Reactions: Crash and Burn
Chipping in here because I may be trying some flights from a yacht too, and keen to see what other suggestions are made. 3 Ideas that I can think of:
  1. A butterfly net, and scoop it out of the air while it's hovering. Essentially this amounts to "crash landing" the drone into the net. You've already thought of this though, and share my concern with damaging the props.
  2. Hang a short piece of string or stiff length of wire under the drone to give you something to grab onto and tether the drone. The idea is to forcefully tip the drone past 90deg tilt so it automatically shuts the motors off. It would need to be robustly attached to the drone.
  3. A big "basket" on a pole, with solid bottom to act as both a landing pad and net. I'm thinking something like the shape of an upside down umbrella. The solid bottom is for the landing sensors to detect and initiate landing, and the sides are to ensure the drone doesn't fall off the edge of the pad just as its touching down and powering down the motors. Having the whole thing on a pole means you can keep the drone away from the mast/rigging of the yacht.
Has anyone used the CSC "emergency propeller stop" option available with the drone in the air? What happens to the drone immediately prior to the motors shutting down? Does it fly diagonally backwards while spinning and descending, as the stick input would imply it should? Or, does the controller immediately sense the CSC input and it goes straight to emergency stop mode?

Reactions: Robifz
I'm intending on doing the same thing, slightly easier though, because it's from a sailing catamaran.

I've ordered a set of floats. These will give me something substantial to grab hold of, plus if the worst happens at least the drone won't sink and will be recoverable to send to care/refresh.
That would make it easier to catch bit I would be worried about the wind resistance.

Chipping in here because I may be trying some flights from a yacht too, and keen to see what other suggestions are made. 3 Ideas that I can think of:
  1. A butterfly net, and scoop it out of the air while it's hovering. Essentially this amounts to "crash landing" the drone into the net. You've already thought of this though, and share my concern with damaging the props.
  2. Hang a short piece of string or stiff length of wire under the drone to give you something to grab onto and tether the drone. The idea is to forcefully tip the drone past 90deg tilt so it automatically shuts the motors off. It would need to be robustly attached to the drone.
  3. A big "basket" on a pole, with solid bottom to act as both a landing pad and net. I'm thinking something like the shape of an upside down umbrella. The solid bottom is for the landing sensors to detect and initiate landing, and the sides are to ensure the drone doesn't fall off the edge of the pad just as its touching down and powering down the motors. Having the whole thing on a pole means you can keep the drone away from the mast/rigging of the yacht.
Has anyone used the CSC "emergency propeller stop" option available with the drone in the air? What happens to the drone immediately prior to the motors shutting down? Does it fly diagonally backwards while spinning and descending, as the stick input would imply it should? Or, does the controller immediately sense the CSC input and it goes straight to emergency stop mode?
I like the stiff wire underneath the drone. I could just grab the wire and flip the drone on its side so the props stop.

Reactions: Mirlo36
I like the stiff wire underneath the drone. I could just grab the wire and flip the drone on its side so the props stop.
Maybe shape it into a loop and use a boat-hook to snag/flip it, or just grab it with your hand. A simple piece of wire should keep the aerodynamic drag and extra mass to a minimum.

Some low altitude onshore trials/practice might be needed first ?

Even better, maybe find a way to make a light plastic handle or grip with a 3D printer and attach it under the drone so one could just grab the handle and turn the drone on its side to shut the motors off. It'd take on a bit of weight but be so easy to retrieve as landing and shut off.

You've got me thinking about this now :p ....

A zip tie round the "belly" of the drone with the tail left on would give you something to grab. A knot in the end will help you get a firm grasp and avoid the tail slipping out of your hand. Incredibly cheap/light and certainly strong enough. Maybe use 2: one around the drone body and another looped through the first one and hanging underneath the drone to give you a hoop to grab onto

A few further thoughts on flying from a moving boat:
  • Consider taping over the downward sensors for when you're flying from the boat. That's the crude way of disabling them on the mini1 &2 ? The IR proximity sensor tends to make the drone rise up out of your grasp as you try to hand catch it - better off with it disabled. The optical flow sensor is going to struggle to contribute in a useful way when flying over water/moving boats so also better off with that disabled too. Just be aware the drone won't automatically slow its descent as it nears ground(or water!) level as it's no longer seeing anything under it. Low altitude hovering accuracy will be a bit poorer than on land too. Any kind of dangly handle/rope/wire could confuse the sensors too.
  • Launch out the back of the boat. The GPS on the drone will make it want to hover in place so if you take off at the front of the boat the boat will then sail straight into the drone.
  • For landing fly ahead of the boat and bring the drone into a hover or slow forward flight just to the side of the boat's path, and catch it as you sail past it.

Using nets etc may really risk props and damage.

Why not just bring it in close to hand and then quickly grip underneath and turn it upside down?

You just get your hand under (as a hand catch, but before it rises), grab your Mini 2 and turn it over? It's not great for the propellers but it works. I have done this a few times when moving with no damage to the drone.

Using nets etc may really risk props and damage.

Why not just bring it in close to hand and then quickly grip underneath and turn it upside down?

You just get your hand under (as a hand catch, but before it rises), grab your Mini 2 and turn it over? It's not great for the propellers but it works. I have done this a few times when moving with no damage to the drone.
I've used this method plenty of times on land but I always feel a bit nervous doing it because it requires a fairly swift and accurate "snatch" of the drone followed with a firm grasp, all whilst keeping fingers out of the props. My preference is to put my hand under the hovering drone and command it to land.

but... Try doing the "grab and twist" method while jumping gently on a trampoline?

When on a moving boat you've got even more directions of relative movement between you and the drone so grabbing the drone like this would require pretty sharp timing and coordination. I'm sure it can be done, but it won't be an easy skill to master. . The idea of a handle or loop hanging under the drone is to keep your hands just that bit further away from the props, and to give you a bigger, easier target to grab.

The idea of a handle or loop hanging under the drone is to keep your hands just that bit further away from the props, and to give you a bigger, easier target to grab.
How about putting the twist tie "handle" pointing up, as far up as you need to get your hands away from the prop. That way there less chance of interference with the bottom sensors. Grab the handle from above as it descends towards the deck and keep the stick down "Landing" and lower the AC to the deck as the motors shut off. If you are gently pushing it down the AC will slow the props as it feels it lose altitude too fast.

You've got me thinking about this now :p ....

A zip tie round the "belly" of the drone with the tail left on would give you something to grab. A knot in the end will help you get a firm grasp and avoid the tail slipping out of your hand. Incredibly cheap/light and certainly strong enough. Maybe use 2: one around the drone body and another looped through the first one and hanging underneath the drone to give you a hoop to grab onto

A few further thoughts on flying from a moving boat:
  • Consider taping over the downward sensors for when you're flying from the boat. That's the crude way of disabling them on the mini1 &2 ? The IR proximity sensor tends to make the drone rise up out of your grasp as you try to hand catch it - better off with it disabled. The optical flow sensor is going to struggle to contribute in a useful way when flying over water/moving boats so also better off with that disabled too. Just be aware the drone won't automatically slow its descent as it nears ground(or water!) level as it's no longer seeing anything under it. Low altitude hovering accuracy will be a bit poorer than on land too. Any kind of dangly handle/rope/wire could confuse the sensors too.
  • Launch out the back of the boat. The GPS on the drone will make it want to hover in place so if you take off at the front of the boat the boat will then sail straight into the drone.
  • For landing fly ahead of the boat and bring the drone into a hover or slow forward flight just to the side of the boat's path, and catch it as you sail past it.
Great suggestions! The zip tie is light & strong, too.

I've tried it. I used my kids' trampoline, 15 feet in diameter, with a net surrounding it, as a relatively safe place to practice "crashing". The drone spirals backwards and downwards, obeying the stick commands for a couple of seconds before the props stop. I found that the 15 foot diameter trampoline wasn't big enough. I hit the net on the side before the props stopped. I only tried a couple of times -- maybe I could have done it with a bit more practice.

But this is NOT a technique I would want to attempt on a moving boat! Go with one of the other ideas being discussed here.

Check out this thread...

Something to think about. ?

Thanks for that @Rich QR. I've always been curious what actually happens when you do the emergency prop stop, but never had the courage or safe crash area to try it.

Reactions: Rich QR
Anything like a stiff wire on a boat with the mini 2 being so wild in the wind is likely to stab somebody, its a bad idea.

The Floats are just to big , and our Mini 2 Rescue Jacket to small.

Your best bet is something like the Lunar Pad , where you can extend it out to catch the Drone. , use it as a shield to protect yourself and use to break the wind on take offs .

The Lunar Pad is over kill for what you need , but you could make something yourself that is safe for everyone on the boat.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998