DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Last bets regarding image quality vs 2S and Mavic 3

No, no it doesn’t. And I own both.
Yes, yes it does. And I own neither.

If you ask me to prove it it's obvious you know nothing about flight dynamics, or imaging. Cell phone cameras. Add EU regulations too. And County Music.

EDIT: Forgot to add I merely need functioning eyes, an internet connection, and a device capable of playing back YouTube in 4K to come to my above conclusion. 😁😁😁

Last edited:
All currently existing comparison videos between M3 and Nano + show that the later is vastly superior in low light..
If you download gigabytes of 150Mbit video the difference becomes even greater?

If YouTube cannot show the intricacies of your drone video then I am pretty sure it is the footage that is the problem. A lot of YouTube videos which look absolutely excellent, both on my 75 inch ultra HD screen as well as on my 2021 MacBook Pro. Most of the people responding here should be happy if they can ever produce something even half as good. No offence
It is youtube period,which should not be totally relied on.

But if everything you shoot shows is sent to YouTube or Vimeo, how critical is it really to upgrade to an M3 when an M2P would provide the same detail to the viewer?
The Mavic 3 is not a necessary upgrade at all for many but I am making use of the Tele camera almost daily now and am finding it is an essential tool for the type of filming I am doing..... close ups of people fly fishing who would be disturbed if I parked the drone too near to them. If DJI adds manual control and LOG to the Tele camera, it will make it a real tool for the professional and something that the Mini 3 will never have.

I agree that the Mini 3 has the potential to have better low light performance and should provide an image as good as the Mavic 3 and the Air 2S most of the time. We will see for sure soon enough.

The Mavic 3 is not a necessary upgrade at all for many but I am making use of the Tele camera almost daily now and am finding it is an essential tool for the type of filming I am doing..... close ups of people fly fishing who would be disturbed if I parked the drone too near to them. If DJI adds manual control and LOG to the Tele camera, it will make it a real tool for the professional and something that the Mini 3 will never have.

I agree that the Mini 3 has the potential to have better low light performance and should provide an image as good as the Mavic 3 and the Air 2S most of the time. We will see for sure soon enough.
More concerned about everyday performance,during daylight hours where it counts the most.
Yes it could be a benefit for very early morning photos.Night photos for me not so much.
All the mini 3 pro has to have for me is a lot better camera than my current air 2.Then I will
call it a major win for me.

I think this discussion is more about video but the Mini 3 will be working very hard to beat stills quality on the Air2s or M3. You can get hold of RAW files (eventually) to compare. But when I did this with the Nano+ there is some weird stuff going on at the pixel level of that drone and it's not great and I think the Mini 3 will be the same. When the frames are whizzing past at 24/30 frames a second you can't really see it but stills are a different game altogether.

Having said that I would love to be surprised! However I'm now pationately in love with the idea of a high quality 7x tele and all that can bring for stills with grid stitching (like the M30) so will quietly wait for DJI to bring that out, even just a 1" sensor will be just fine...

Last edited:
I think this discussion is more about video but the Mini 3 will be working very hard to beat stills quality on the Air2s or M3. You can get hold of RAW files (eventually) to compare. But when I did this with the Nano+ there is some weird stuff going on at the pixel level of that drone and it's not great and I think the Mini 3 will be the same. When the frames are whizzing past at 24/30 frames a second you can't really see it but stills are a different game altogether.
This is my main concern too. I'm primarily a stills photographer who does a bit of video every now and then.
If the stills quality can beat the Air2S then I will sell it straight away along with my Mini 2 because there will be no point in keeping it.

This is my main concern too. I'm primarily a stills photographer who does a bit of video every now and then.
If the stills quality can beat the Air2S then I will sell it straight away along with my Mini 2 because there will be no point in keeping it.
Mini 3 pro also enables better photography of cloud formations compared to your current drones. Portrait orientation now appears gimmicky but I am pretty sure in the hands of photographers it will be an excellent addition to their photos

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Portrait mode will be cool for sure. I always missed it from the original Mavic Pro as it was good for getting a wide panorama with more vertical angle without having to run 2 or 3 rows of images.

Portrait mode will be cool for sure. I always missed it from the original Mavic Pro as it was good for getting a wide panorama with more vertical angle without having to run 2 or 3 rows of images.
Plus full 360x180 panos without needing to fill the top nadir hole will be pretty cool! Just need to incorporate that in the next M4 or M3s

As of today, May 1st 2022, it appears me, dealsdrone, and Jasper Ellens are like the only people that believe Mini 3 Pro will beat Air2S image quality (not limited to low light), not to mention it will trade blows with Mavic 3. With YouTube compression, dynamic range and resolution will be near indistinguishable from Mavic 3 even. Gimbal angle might be the main differentiating factor. (as well as portrait shots/video).

We all know the sensor is only 1/1.3, whereas the Air2S is 1 inch and the Mavic 3 even bigger.
We also know the mini 3 is the cheapest, with the Mavic 3 being about 3 times more expensive.

So, what are your last bets:

Will Mini 3 beat Air2S image quality?
Will it compete with Mavic 3?

Or will it be a slightly improved Mini 2 version that has worse image quality than even Air 2 (non S) ?

Place your bets as in about a week, the entire world will know.

My guesses:

1. In normal daylight, either sunny or cloudy I believe the image quality will be VERY close to Air 2S / Mavic 2 Pro quality, nearly indistinguishable but still those likely have the edge if you "pixel peep" the image.

2. I think in low light despite the aperture difference the Air 2S and Mavic 2 Pro will be clearly better. However the image quality will be LEAGUES better than the Mini 2 in low light.

3. The Mavic 3 will be better across the board in image quality.

4. The bottom line is for most people the image quality in most conditions will be so close to the Air 2S it won't make much sense for people to buy that drone when they could benefit from the portability, lower cost, and less legal issues that the Mini 3 will have.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
4. The bottom line is for most people the image quality in most conditions will be so close to the Air 2S it won't make much sense for people to buy that drone when they could benefit from the portability, lower cost, and less legal issues that the Mini 3 will have.
Unless there are features the 2S has that the Mini-3 does not, like Hyperlapse.

If I were choosing between the two, that would point me to the 2S, even if the Mini-3 imagery is better in some aspect (low light for example).

Unless there are features the 2S has that the Mini-3 does not, like Hyperlapse.

If I were choosing between the two, that would point me to the 2S, even if the Mini-3 imagery is better in some aspect (low light for example).
Hyperlapse aside, the Air2s is going to more stable and faster.

I have to scratch my head about portability. I do get that the smallest size and weight is important to some...

But last summer we were all up and down the East Coast. We went for a wedding and visit the kids and friends. I had to make a choice, take my Mini 2 or my M2P. Knowing the visual possibilities I chose the M2P. I loaded it, the controller, 3 batteries, ND filters and anything I could think of into the M2P's FMC bag. Chargers got packed seperately with my other stuff. in my backpack (which the M2P case fit into when I only wanted 1 bag to carry. Not one time was I bothered or did I with I'd brought the lighter drone. Now, an Air2s is almost half the weight of the M2P, though the brick they call a controller adds weight and bulk. I carried that thing on my shoulder for almost two weeks not even thinking about it. That's just me. YMMV

Reactions: Chaosrider
Hyperlapse aside, the Air2s is going to more stable and faster.

I have to scratch my head about portability. I do get that the smallest size and weight is important to some...

But last summer we were all up and down the East Coast. We went for a wedding and visit the kids and friends. I had to make a choice, take my Mini 2 or my M2P. Knowing the visual possibilities I chose the M2P. I loaded it, the controller, 3 batteries, ND filters and anything I could think of into the M2P's FMC bag. Chargers got packed seperately with my other stuff. in my backpack (which the M2P case fit into when I only wanted 1 bag to carry. Not one time was I bothered or did I with I'd brought the lighter drone. Now, an Air2s is almost half the weight of the M2P, though the brick they call a controller adds weight and bulk. I carried that thing on my shoulder for almost two weeks not even thinking about it. That's just me. YMMV

I totally get you on portability because it isn't like the Air 2S or Mavic 3 are large, but for some including me it makes a difference. I'm an airline pilot and I travel with two bags, a rollerboard packed with my clothes and toiletries (no extra room) and a flight bag that caries my equipment for work and has very little extra room. With an Air 2S or Mavic 2/3 I would 100% have to carry a 3rd bag and frankly I wouldn't do it on any regular basis but with the Mini 2 I've been able to make a package so compact it fits in my flight bag so now anytime I'm on an overnight and want to film I can. This is the case setup I run with the Mini 2:

@boldblue737
I bought the M2P because it is so small and portable.
But with the weight restrictions all around, I face to reduce and go for the Mini 3 Pro.

It's incredible what they pack into this even smaller bird. Comparing these, you are absolutely right.

I totally get you on portability because it isn't like the Air 2S or Mavic 3 are large, but for some including me it makes a difference. I'm an airline pilot and I travel with two bags, a rollerboard packed with my clothes and toiletries (no extra room) and a flight bag that caries my equipment for work and has very little extra room. With an Air 2S or Mavic 2/3 I would 100% have to carry a 3rd bag and frankly I wouldn't do it on any regular basis but with the Mini 2 I've been able to make a package so compact it fits in my flight bag so now anytime I'm on an overnight and want to film I can. This is the case setup I run with
I get it. There are circumstances, like yours, that where packing and storage space comes at a premium. That's why I have to scratch my head when DJI changed the controller format/size from the M2P controller and a lesser featured Mini 1 controller. That brick of a controller added so much bulk to packing. The other thing that has me scratching my head is why the case mfrs didn't just expand the depth of the case 1/2" to accomodate the controller being packed on its side rather than flat? The case that you showed is robust as I have two similar. But the controller laying on its side would allow SO much more in the same case. I just don't understand why the case producers have maintained the similar depth of the cases when the controllers were just so much smaller. Just look at the Mini 1 controller, same size as the M2P, still on its back, but lots of room for the necessities. But when the Mini 2's (and DJI's) "standard" controller was presented this case was no longer adequate. Knowing that I needed more depth, for general purposes I got an Apache 2800 hard case and can carry all the accessories. It fits in my backpack, so it's easy to transport, though bulkier than the PGY type cases. Again, I don't know why PGY (or others) don't just make it 1/2" wider? The amount of accessories that one could pack in that case with a side packed controller would be incredible. With my Apache 2800 $25 at Harbor Freight I have the option of packing the controller flat, or in a carved out slot which allows for even more gear. The extra depth allows me to use 2 or 3 layers. At the same time I can pack either the M2P bag or the Mini 2 FMC bag for day trips.

IMG-3158.JPG

apache2800_CaseHack_sm.jpg
@boldblue737
I bought the M2P because it is so small and portable.
But with the weight restrictions all around, I face to reduce and go for the Mini 3 Pro.

It's incredible what they pack into this even smaller bird. Comparing these, you are absolutely right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa