DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PilotMan7700

Reactions
I did a search to see if there was a thread talking about this specifically yet. I found a few posts asking about if anybody had created them yet but nothing devoted to this. If I missed something please redirect me.

I just ran across these on Amazon. Has anybody else bought these, or have made something similar. They look pretty simple, probably just a few pennies to produce. Hoping maybe somebody could share a file so people can produce them on their own.

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Landin...ie=UTF8&qid=1479968111&sr=1-23&keywords=mavic
Mavic Leg 1.jpg Mavic Leg 2.jpg Mavic Leg 3.jpg Mavic Leg 4.jpg Mavic Leg 5.jpg

Reactions: Ender and niclariv
I think they are a bit overpriced, but maybe they just look a bit ... crappy.
These are shorter but fair priced:

Heightened Extender Landing Gear Riser Set For DJI Mavic Pro Quadcopter Black | eBay

They are available on every ebay, just as an example. If you pay more then $7 including shipment you were ripped off for good :)

But of course these solutions will pop up on thingiverse sooner or later so maybe it just will take too long to travel from china to make a difference.

Ender

I thought of buying the leg extenders when I first got my Mavic.

... few hours later I manage to hand-grab my Mavic mid air.

Good ideas, here's some mechanical things to keep in mind:

• If the front legs continue at the same angle inward, then the resulting stance is less stable (narrower "track" combined with taller stance). May be fine, but it IS less stable than stock.
  • If the front legs go straight down (like second example), it's slightly less stable on landing (same track, taller stance) than stock.
  • If the front legs splay OUT (not shown in any example), there will be torque on the pivot point of the arm. The longer a lever, the more "leverage" from the same weight. Meaning that as it lands, the force of landing will be multiplied if the lever is longer. So don't overcompensate for the first two bullets above my making the legs overly wider.
  • It's apparent from videos that the Mavic can lift a lot of weight and overcome lots of external inputs (knocks, wind, etc.). Just remember that these things add weight and wind resistance. Narrower solutions might be better for the former. Think skinny carbon fiber rods with little pads on the end.
That's all theoretical... just thinking out loud for the discussion.

(added a bit later)

Also the first solution is adding landing legs to the rear props. The stock design doesn't put any landing force on this area. If the arm pivot mounts are less capable of taking this force than the front ones, this could cause undue wear or damage to the rear prop arms on the long run.

Reactions: Jaysjob
So is the consensus...it's a good idea in concept, but unproven so far? Just bought a landing pad and will use that for now. But certainly seems worth keeping an eye on.

Climb High, Pray Higher

• If the front legs continue at the same angle inward, then the resulting stance is less stable (narrower "track" combined with taller stance). May be fine, but it IS less stable than stock.
  • If the front legs go straight down (like second example), it's slightly less stable on landing (same track, taller stance) than stock.
  • If the front legs splay OUT (not shown in any example), there will be torque on the pivot point of the arm. The longer a lever, the more "leverage" from the same weight. Meaning that as it lands, the force of landing will be multiplied if the lever is longer. So don't overcompensate for the first two bullets above my making the legs overly wider.
  • It's apparent from videos that the Mavic can lift a lot of weight and overcome lots of external inputs (knocks, wind, etc.). Just remember that these things add weight and wind resistance. Narrower solutions might be better for the former. Think skinny carbon fiber rods with little pads on the end.

(added a bit later)

Also the first solution is adding landing legs to the rear props. The stock design doesn't put any landing force on this area. If the arm pivot mounts are less capable of taking this force than the front ones, this could cause undue wear or damage to the rear prop arms on the long run.

overthinking it a little but what you say is on the money. my foremost concern was being seen in video recording. guess you could carry a portable landing pad. a good 3d printer project maybe...

Hand launch the thing if you need to, keeps sand out of the motors, close tolerances in the stators, one little grain of sand in the wrong place can lock up a motor, I found that out with my 350QX.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I got a pair, just put them on. Cannot fully fold, will take off till needed. Like in the desert or high grass/rocks etc...

I thought of buying the leg extenders when I first got my Mavic.

... few hours later I manage to hand-grab my Mavic mid air.
This... Why compromise the light weight and compactness of the mavic just so you can take off a little easier

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

(added a bit later)

I agree with what you are saying about the carbon rods with small pads. I would love to find someone who has or wants to produce such extensions.

I was trolling around AliExpress and found these: Free shipping DJI Mavic Pro Silicone Landing Gear Landing Feet Bracket Protector damping and heightening-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group at only $2.30 delivered (from China no less). I bought 2 sets, one "clear" and one black.

They slip on, are super light, have have a little "give" to them. They give the Mavic a little bit more clearance, weigh almost nothing, and are cheap enough that if they crack over time, I don't care, because I got two sets delivered to my house for under $5.

60244dda65e556cb7399de4b55e714df.jpg
24012cbe2f4631310056ab1c2a662492.jpg

I picked up those exact ones. I like them. For those time you need a tiny bit more height.

Chris.

Reactions: ATXdrone
Today I found a reason you may NOT want to use these!

The legs are grippy to the surface they are landing on. I was landing (manually not RTH) today on a flat cardboard box that I use on my lawn as a landing pad. The craft was drifting a lot due to wind and I mistakenly let it get to auto-land (due to downward stick pressure) before it was over the landing area. I panicked (newbie!) and pushed my right stick forward to try and get it to land at least fully on the box. What it did is as follows:
  • moved forward
  • Front gear touched the cardboard while still in forward flight
  • Front gear folded BACK due to the grippy nature of the feet
  • broke the two sets of blades as they bounced off the Mavic and then the lawn as it continued to slide forward.
Completely user error. I'm going to be more careful and really not use this 2" high box platform any more, a flatter surface where I can land with one or two legs off would be much better.

Live and learn. Only cost me 2 props.

Today I found a reason you may NOT want to use these!

The legs are grippy to the surface they are landing on. I was landing (manually not RTH) today on a flat cardboard box that I use on my lawn as a landing pad. The craft was drifting a lot due to wind and I mistakenly let it get to auto-land (due to downward stick pressure) before it was over the landing area. I panicked (newbie!) and pushed my right stick forward to try and get it to land at least fully on the box. What it did is as follows:
  • moved forward
  • Front gear touched the cardboard while still in forward flight
  • Front gear folded BACK due to the grippy nature of the feet
  • broke the two sets of blades as they bounced off the Mavic and then the lawn as it continued to slide forward.
Completely user error. I'm going to be more careful and really not use this 2" high box platform any more, a flatter surface where I can land with one or two legs off would be much better.

Live and learn. Only cost me 2 props.

Yep. I've tried landing on a box before. It didn't end well. Now I tend to look for a nice flat paved surface after calling the drone down and canceling the RTH autoland. If there are obstructions I back it in. It's usually protected from the wind but you need to go slow because of the prop wash bouncing up.

I 3D printed mine using a shared file in Thingiverse. They came out nicely even printed on a cheap DaVinci Mini printer. They slide in and out easily so I can take them off before stowing my MP in the tiny DJI bag that came in the fly more package. I only did 3 flights so far but they stay on without a problem during flight. They are adding some distance from the camera/gimbal to the ground. I took off from an empty parking lot.

Here is the link to the part:

Volkhard 3D printed Mavic Legs Mk2 by Jvouillon

I also printed a stick saver with integrated screen protector:

Volkhard 3D printed DJI Mavic Stick and Screen Guard Remix by Ypatel9

and finally a couple of battery port plugs

Volkhard 3D printed DJI Mavic Pro battery port cover by Hangtimex

If you click at the "source" it will get you to the original posts. All items classified as such, can be downloaded and used for personal use, just don't start selling these.......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato