DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens glare in a sunny daylight

TeroFin

Reactions
Hi,

It looks that I get many times this kind of "sunbeam" type of interference in the photos taken by Mini. Would this kind of sun shade protector remove these problems?

SF.jpg

Cheers!

It looks that I get many times this kind of "sunbeam" type of interference in the photos taken by Mini. Would this kind of sun shade protector remove these problems?
No .. a lens hood would not help at all with that.
You are thinking of lens flare which you get when you shoot towards the sun or a bright light source like this:
18_light_leak_flare_photo_overlay.jpg

But in your image you don't appear to be shooting toward a bright light source.
The normal pattern of lens flare is a series of rays radiating out from the light source.
Your example is nothing like this.
If there was a bright light causing it, it would be down on the water below the drone.

Do you have some other examples that might help find a pattern?

Are you using filters of some kind ? if you are, try removing them and see if the problem will go away.

No .. a lens hood would not help at all with that.
You are thinking of lens flare which you get when you shoot towards the sun or a bright light source like this:
18_light_leak_flare_photo_overlay.jpg

But in your image you don't appear to be shooting toward a bright light source.
The normal pattern of lens flare is a series of rays radiating out from the light source.
Your example is nothing like this.
If there was a bright light causing it, it would be down on the water below the drone.

Do you have some other examples that might help find a pattern?
Thanks for your reply. I unfortunatelly have deleted almost all these kind of failed pictures, but my understanding is that this problem only occurs when there is water below and in most of the times the camera was pointing to the sector where the sun is (but not always directly). Here is another exmample, this time the camera is pointing towards the sun(set).

Cheers!2.jpg

I've sometimes had this type of flare on my phone camera, and it was due to having a slightly greasy smear over the lens after wiping it "clean" on a piece of clothing.

I've sometimes had this type of flare on my phone camera, and it was due to having a slightly greasy smear over the lens after wiping it "clean" on a piece of clothing.
I can't be sure that I wouldn't have had some greasy marks on the lens, but I usually clean it regularly so probably this is not the reason. Also, wouldn't those "sunbeams" show up also when making videos? I have never seen those on videos, just on photos ?

Cheers!

It helps with light coming from the sides, but not head-on.

However, it will help protect your camera if you hit something. About a week after buying one of them, I hit a small branch that I didn't see. It knocked the drone silly but it recovered. I landed the MM and did a visual inspection. The camera was untouched but there was a small scratch under the hood. In that one moment, the hood more than paid for itself.

Could you have a scratch on the lens? Seems like the issue shows up in the same spot.

This was a good hint and I just checked that the lens seems to be fully intact.

Here attached is one screenshot of a video and everything is fine here, although it was a very bright day. I also took some pictures from this same drone location/elevation and those pictures had those sunbeams, but the video doesn't show any of those ?

LF3.jpg

Hi TeroFin
as already told, it´s impossible to avoid flares in certain circumstances. But it´s possible to remove tha flares from a photo as you see below
cheers Paul2.jpgSF.jpg

Reactions: ff22
Bummer. Sure looks reflection from a flaw in, or on, the lense. Not sure if a polarizing filter will hide it or not. Might be worth a try since you are filming on the water anyways.

Nice pics

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair