DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lets talk about where you *CAN* fly BVLOS

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This forum is saturated with threads about the issues and abuses of flying beyond visual line of sight. I propose we talk about where we can, legally and safely, fly BVLOS. I've been lucky to have flown for a couple of non-profits in various parts of the world where the FAA or other country's regulations do not apply, or where the study permit allow it, and where it is safe to do so. In most cases, flying BVLOS is the only way to document the subject of the study, but is only done in areas of the world where there are no people, airline flights, or airports. Where do you fly BVLOS or believe you can do so? Please keep it civil and just add productive suggestions...

Four miles out the in Pacific Garbage Patch:

In the US, BVLOS is available as a waiver to 107.31, but is not generally granted except under the SGI waiver program. But that does work for eligible operations, and I have obtained numerous 107.31 waivers. The complication is that they always require an associated TFR, which is automatically provided when the waiver is granted, but which puts significant limitations on how large an area will be approved, especially in or near controlled airspace.

These guys are operating in some trial areas and do have BVLOS waiver and have a pilot for each drone being operated

Reactions: Gringorio
These guys are operating in some trial areas and do have BVLOS waiver and have a pilot for each drone being operated
But are there any actual non-trial drone deliveries happening anywhere?

No idea. None in Australia. Don’t know where you guys are at with this

Last edited:
Transport Canada has hosted multiple forums on BVLOS. Not much use to me but the developments are interesting. It is being discussed (possibly used) for urgent medication deliveries to remote northern communities. It does require a special flight operations certificate. But the drones are not Mavic 2 or Phantoms. They’re talking much more sophistication.

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Canada has for a few years delivered many things up North. Medicines and such. If a downward prop wash was a problem then they would not be doing it. You guys need to start looking outside of the box.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78