DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi AGL mission capability

raylo32

Reactions
I just acquired the Litchi app and have stared playing around with mission planning on the Mission Hub. Very cool. And it has a feature I have been jonesing for for a long time. The ability to plan autonomous AGL missions. In settings if you enable "online elevations" then when you create a waypoint you can specify normal relative to takeoff position or "above ground". This will be great for places where the mission takes the bird uphill... so instead of having to guestimate how much elevation the hill is adding you can just specify "above ground" and maintain say, a constant height above the tree line as the drone goes uphill. Of course this depends on the accuracy of the ground elevation data. Anyone try this? I am going to try it this weekend.

I just acquired the Litchi app and have stared playing around with mission planning on the Mission Hub. Very cool. And it has a feature I have been jonesing for for a long time. The ability to plan autonomous AGL missions. In settings if you enable "online elevations" then when you create a waypoint you can specify normal relative to takeoff position or "above ground". This will be great for places where the mission takes the bird uphill... so instead of having to guestimate how much elevation the hill is adding you can just specify "above ground" and maintain say, a constant height above the tree line as the drone goes uphill. Of course this depends on the accuracy of the ground elevation data. Anyone try this? I am going to try it this weekend.

Test it out first virtually before you fly it:

Reactions: dawgpilot
I just created a mission at a family farm using this function. The data from the map look accurate to me. The ground elevation under the waypoint highest up the hill is ~30M higher than the takeoff location. So waypoints set to 35M AGL will all be similar height above the treetops. This sure makes planning easier.... Of course trusting the app to do the math correctly.

Reactions: AMann
I just created a mission at a family farm using this function. The data from the map look accurate to me. The ground elevation under the waypoint highest up the hill is ~30M higher than the takeoff location. So waypoints set to 35M AGL will all be similar height above the treetops. This sure makes planning easier.

I love VLM in that you can simulate the flyover by animating it and it follows the actual route very well. It would be useful for showing to clients before the shot, too.

VLM is a very cool app indeed. I got a perfect look at my flight path But I don't see a way to animate it?? I did find a built in flight simulator in GM Pro but that is a separate virtual aircraft.

Yes - it works fine provided that you keep in mind:
  1. The aircraft altitude is only set at the waypoints, and that it linearly interpolates between waypoints. So, if you have a prominence between two waypoints, the aircraft will not know about it and will not climb to maintain the set height AGL over it.
  2. The flight profile uploaded to the aircraft simply converts the requested waypoint altitudes to height above the takeoff point. The transmitted heights are calculated on the basis that the takeoff elevation is the same as the ground elevation under the first waypoint - if that is not correct then all the waypoint altitudes will be wrong. That's especially a problem if the ground elevation under the first waypoint is higher than the takeoff point, because the waypoint altitudes will all end up lower than requested by the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann
VLM is a very cool app indeed. I got a perfect look at my flight path But I don't see a way to animate it?? I did find a built in flight simulator in GM Pro but that is a separate virtual aircraft.

Sar104 is right, I put the first waypoint right at takeoff to better match it. Always check the flight parh with the KML vs a topographic map if flying in hilly terrain, and check to see how accurate the GoogleEarth image matches the landscape where you are flying, too. ;)

Last edited:
AGL waypoints is a really great feature and makes mission planning a lot easier. No need to look up elevations and do the math yourself to get a desired height above the terrain (and trees). And it's super easy to account for obstructions or anomalous terrain by being thorough in placing waypoints and to use the Virtual Mission 3D rendering in Google Earth Pro to visualize any potential problems. Great tools, guys.

VLM is a very cool app indeed. I got a perfect look at my flight path But I don't see a way to animate it??

To animate it do this :

1) Choose "Export as CSV" in VLM to export your mission to Google Earth
2) Go to Google Earth and open your mission in Temporary Places.
3) Double Click on 'Virtual Mission"

N

Ahhh, that's it. Just had to double click virtual mission. This is insanely good, thanks for developing. Who needs a drone anymore, just do it all virtually!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15