DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and Dronelink... which do you think is better and why?

mattcaz

Reactions
Site
store.dryheatembroidery.com
So I have litchi and the Hobbyist version of DroneLink but I haven't played with Litchi recently. Have any of you used both and if you're using Litchi, what about it makes it better than Dronelink?

I realize there's a thread already for something like this but it's over a year old so thats why I posted a new one because both software have had updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: basyok
For me, it's Dronelink by a long shot. They aren't even in the same league. I have Litchi and both the Starter and Premium version of Dronelink. Litchi is more of a replacement flight app for DJI GO and Fly whereas Dronelink is not trying to be a replacement, it's more of a platform that allows for basic flight, advanced flight, customization and growth.

Whereas Litchi takes what GO and Fly does and adds some features (especially for older drones), Dronelink does this (eg., Mavic Mini) but also allows the pilot if they so wish to purchase more advanced plans that allow more functions, features and customizations.

Litchi's interface is familiar whereas Dronelink's is different and takes a bit of getting used to and there is more of a learning curve.

I use both, but by far use Dronelink much more.

Chris

For me, it's Dronelink by a long shot. They aren't even in the same league. I have Litchi and both the Starter and Premium version of Dronelink. Litchi is more of a replacement flight app for DJI GO and Fly whereas Dronelink is not trying to be a replacement, it's more of a platform that allows for basic flight, advanced flight, customization and growth.

Whereas Litchi takes what GO and Fly does and adds some features (especially for older drones), Dronelink does this (eg., Mavic Mini) but also allows the pilot if they so wish to purchase more advanced plans that allow more functions, features and customizations.

Litchi's interface is familiar whereas Dronelink's is different and takes a bit of getting used to and there is more of a learning curve.

I use both, but by far use Dronelink much more.

Chris
I've used Dronelink and created a mission to do roof inspections where it stops every 15 feet and takes an photo, moves 15 feet and takes a photo etc all the way around and then it makes a video as it outlines the roof.. it finishes off with a climb up to 150 feet over the center of the roof and take a straight down video and photo of the roof. Took me forever to get it right but it does a good job and none of the picture distortion of taking photo's while moving.
I was just curious if Litchi had progressed well beyond what it does when I first tried it. As others have said, Dronelink's learning curve is a Betweent the A Hatch and The C hatch with a bad attitude, but it's powerful. (This software censors the bad b word.. how pathetic!)

Thanks for your reply and your time.

Last edited:
I have been absolutely loving Dronelink. Really nice and easy to create then test your mission. I have not found anything that I want to do that cannot be done in Dronelink. Responsive support forum as well.

I have been absolutely loving Dronelink. Really nice and easy to create then test your mission. I have not found anything that I want to do that cannot be done in Dronelink. Responsive support forum as well.
True.. the Dronelink support is Fantastic and they are always very helpful. The only thing I don't like is that if you want to do something commercial with it, you're supposed to upgrade to an expensive commercial plan. There's no consideration for someone who's a startup so that would just make people try and use their non-commercial plan for commercial uses. There should be a a la carte fee or something in the middle like: 10 commercial flights, 25 commercial flights etc.

I've used Dronelink and created a mission to do roof inspections where it stops every 15 feet and takes an photo, moves 15 feet and takes a photo etc all the way around and then it makes a video as it outlines the roof.. it finishes off with a climb up to 150 feet over the center of the roof and take a straight down video and photo of the roof. Took me forever to get it right but it does a good job and none of the picture distortion of taking photo's while moving.
I was just curious if Litchi had progressed well beyond what it does when I first tried it. As others have said, Dronelink's learning curve is a ***** with a bad attitude, but it's powerful.

Thanks for your reply and your time.
Mavic Maven is really intuitive to work with for jobs like the roof job you described.

Reactions: mattcaz
Mavic Maven is really intuitive to work with for jobs like the roof job you described.
I've never tried it. I'll have to give it a look. thanks!
Just went and looked.. Seems its for IOS only and I use android on my Smart Controller and my Tripltek 7Pro Tablet.

I need to say dronelink is more professional.

True that Dronelink has a cost, but if you are doing commercial missions, they deserve their piece of the pie as well. Overall, I think it is worth every penny!

True that Dronelink has a cost, but if you are doing commercial missions, they deserve their piece of the pie as well. Overall, I think it is worth every penny!
And thats why I mentioned they should have an upgrade that lets a new or small business still use the commercial functions for say 10, or 20 etc flights a month and prorate the upgrade accordingly. Dronelink gets more $$ which they deserve and people like me who can't afford to pay for the full blown commercial license can actually use Droneline in a business that only has limited flights.

I had dronelink and I think the product is much superior than Litchi but I asked for a refund when they came in here and basically belittled the non commercial drone users.

• Wow
Reactions: BigAl07 and mattcaz
I had dronelink and I think the product is much superior than Litchi but I asked for a refund when they came in here and basically belittled the non commercial drone users.
I am not a commercial drone user, just a hobbiest and they have never belittled me.

Chris

I guess I missed that thread too. I started using Dronelink as a hobbiest and have felt nothing but wecome as a user.

I agree, flexible pricing tiers are always great. @mattcaz I hear you loud and clear and agree. I bought a "growth" plan that was reasonable one time charge for a year. I probably don't need their enterprise plan. Growth plan lets you do a lot.

As @TonyPHX said, I have also felt Dronelink to be the "friendlier" of the two common Waypoint manufacturers. Their development forum is transparent, and they are regular contributors here and elsewhere.

That said, I use Litchi more often than Dronelink. It is much easier to learn, and for my Mavic Air it allows me to upload the mission fully without relying on "virtual sticks" all the time. The other big feature is its integration with Google Earth (provided by 3rd-party enthusiasts).

I have significant criticisms of Litch - see:
(This is 18 months old, but still most of the points are true.)
However, it is my go-to software for a planned drone flight.

Reactions: TonyPHX and mattcaz
I use Litchi for waypoint hyperlapses. It works well but have a few limitations. The most amazing thing is I can test any mission in google earth and see what the drone camera will see, this helps in perfecting your mission prior the actual flight.

I use Litchi for waypoint hyperlapses. It works well but have a few limitations. The most amazing thing is I can test any mission in google earth and see what the drone camera will see, this helps in perfecting your mission prior the actual flight.
This feature is built-in to Dronelink. You can preview your mission anytime within Dronelink. Not only do you see the path the drone flies but you also see what the camera sees at the same time in real time as the drone flies the path.

Chris

So I have litchi and the Hobbyist version of DroneLink but I haven't played with Litchi recently. Have any of you used both and if you're using Litchi, what about it makes it better than Dronelink?

I realize there's a thread already for something like this but it's over a year old so thats why I posted a new one because both software have had updates.
Litchi allows me to program waypoint missions without being connected to the drone so I can sit at my desk and layout a mission carefully then when it's ready I just go fly it. You also don't run down your drone battery while programming.

Litchi allows me to program waypoint missions without being connected to the drone so I can sit at my desk and layout a mission carefully then when it's ready I just go fly it. You also don't run down your drone battery while programming.
You can do the same with DL. You can also plan your mission on Litchi Hub and use it with DL.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan