DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Local government doesn't mention drone laws.

Carqy

Reactions
Flying a drone for commerical use and have gotten permission from the business. My local government doesn't have any information on their stance on drones. Just wondering if that means I defer to the FAA or if I should still ask my local government if it's ok to fly. I'm Part 107 licensed. Thanks!

Don't ask the local government for permission. Unless there are published local laws just follow FAA rules. Check B4UFly to see if there are any flight restrictions. Without knowing your precise location it's difficult to offer precise information.
Of course, VLOS and no flying over people or moving vehicles

Reactions: Reid937
Check the city website, especially the Parks Department page. If they have no rules, you're good to go. Just remember all they can do is control where you fly from, not what you fly over. But that's doesn't mean they won't cite you if that rule exists.

Here at least, often this info is buried deep in their bylaws / byelaws.
Very often even official / rangers aren't up with what's published.

Google the city name, and drone, see what comes up.

Edit.
Searching google for __ <city name> drone __ is a first step I do, they sometimes have a page especially set up.
I did that for city of new york state drone < link
After that try adding bylaw (or local term spelling) as it sometimes brings up that info + bylaw < link
Also trying model aircraft is worthwhile as they sometimes lump drones in with those.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78