DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for clarification re ipad/cellular

iPad 1 only has GPS in the cell version. Later models got GPS in all models. I think from iPad 2.

Read the article linked above.

I have an early mini (iPad2) and a later model Pro. Both WiFi only and both always know where they are. I just turned the mini onto flight mode and asked maps to locate the device. I had to hold it out the window to get reception and it took about three minutes. The same time the Mavic takes to lock into the satilites. It identified the correct latitude and longitude. When I turned the WiFi on the map appeared and there we were. It’s much slower than the phone which cheats by approximating from cell towers first and then latches onto satellites. But get outside and wait and your iPad will find you. It works with cached maps.

But get outside and wait and your iPad will find you. It works with cached maps.

About how long?

With my iPad Pro (see characteristics) I was able to drive and see the progression on the cached map.

On my iPad Air (first gen) Wi-Fi - LTE I left the house with the HOME location selected before I turned off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & in Aircraft mode. I drove away and the home dot never left the house. I will try again and park somewhere and leave it on the dash for a while and see if it finds where I am. I will report back. That is why I ask how long.

Just tested my IPad Pro. The three map Apps would not locate me in a different city until I hotspoted off my phone and refreshed the maps. Then turned the hotspot off and watched the dot tracked perfectly as we drove down the road. This is an App issue. Only works when the maps are loaded. But the iPad GPS is now tracking on all three map Apps with no data.

I upgraded my iPad Air 2 without cellular to an iPad 6 with cellular because setting the remote controller as the home point” would not work and also “follow me would not work with my Phantom 3 Pro or my Mavic.
They now work with or without hotspoting my iPad to my phone.
Sometimes it doesn’t let me set my controller as the home point, however, and when it does this I close the app and open Apple Maps and hit the “locate me arrow” and then reopen Go4 and voila.

A S S U M E bit me. I assumed my iPad Air was a Wi-Fi - LTE, (which by my understanding LTE meant it could receive a GPS signal) it ain't (ain't for emphasis). I went back to basics.

Model on the back it is A1474 which translate to Wi-Fi ONLY, not Wi-Fi - LTE
Model in Settings/About is MD785LL/A
S/N in Settings / About is DMQLPRAFFK10

With Wi-Fi turned off and without a hot-spot it has no idea where it is, It still thought it was in the living room of my house a half mile away.

Hot spot it is then
GPS data cannot be shared over a hot spot. You will only be able to share the Internet connection.

Well that sucks . Oh well didn’t need it yet and can’t mis what you never had .

Oh well didn’t need it yet and can’t mis what you never had
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I hope this isn't considered hijacking this thread because it's of the same topic and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.
My question is about GPS Stacking.
When I started doing missions for DroneBase they said I couldn't use my iPad (it's the non-cellular $339 model) because it 'stacked' GPS coordinates and I might end up with the same ones even if I moved around. This is in relation to using it for taking hand-help photos of ground level images such as houses. They said I had to use my iPhone instead. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! and pardon for the hijack...

Took iPad 2018 WiFi only out today - never had a clue where it was. Definitely no GPS

#Update#
Just got a Garmin Glo, but not had a chance to check it out yet. Previous reviews on here suggest that it should work perfectly though

Last edited:
GPS data cannot be shared over a hot spot. You will only be able to share the Internet connection.
No idea. But with the wifi the iPad gets the maps and the GPS worked. I tested it in a car (passenger) with three APs on my iPad Pro. The spot keeps tracking with wifi off. However if you put it to sleep and wake up the iPad thinks it should not work and the APs sometimes failed to work until reconnected.

The GPS system is clearly inferior to my iPhone and did not work as well in the countryside. City was ok.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22