DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for clarification re ipad/cellular

Ian Stark

Reactions
I appreciate this is a subject that has been covered in several other threads and I apologise if I seem to be unnecessarily duplicating the question, but I wonder if someone could give me a definitive answer. I've tried to combine the responses from several other threads here and elsewhere but I'm still a bit fuzzy on the specifics (plus there seems to be some conflicting views).

I have an iPad Air 16GB (original model) with wifi/cellular, but with no SIM inserted. I understand that I need the cell version (even without a SIM) in order to be able to use certain functions. So, my question:

Could I please ask which Mavic Air features and functions I will or will not have access to if I do not buy a SIM?

I guess that I would not have access to maps without a SIM but I am reading up on how to cache these in advance.

Thanks for any help with this and again, apologies for going over old ground.

Could I please ask which Mavic Air features and functions I will or will not have access to if I do not buy a SIM?
You will not be able to use any features that require an active Internet connection.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I wasn't very clear . . . I was hoping someone could tell me which specific features require an active internet connection and would therefore not be available to me.

Here are some commonly used features that cannot be used without an active Internet connection:
  • Download DJI GO maps and display them in real-time while flying
  • Stream flights to YouTube/Facebook
  • Sync flight logs in your DJI account
  • Check if you're running the current firmware and/or version of DJI GO
  • Update firmware and/or DJI GO

Reactions: Ian Stark
Ah, that's great, thanks so much. I guess the only one that is important to me would be downloading the maps. I'm doing a huge amount of European travel this summer so caching the maps might not be a good option for me. I guess I'll get myself a SIM :) Thanks again.

Another option would be to setup a hot spot on your mobile phone and connect your tablet whenever you need to download the maps.

Reactions: iBallesty
I have an iPad mini 3 that is wifi/cellular. I had a sim card from a former phone and put it in the iPad. The sim card isn't activated but the iPad still gives me real time maps, which is what I was worried about so I didn't have to cache them. Everything else I can wait until I'm on wifi. The wifi/cellular iPads are the only ones with built in GPS (similar to an iPhone). Of course, you could always activate the sim card and it would probably only be another $10 per month on most of the major carriers. Then your iPad would act exactly like an iPhone.

Thanks for both answers. Yes, the phone hotspot is a good call.

loknload, didn't quite understand that about the sim not being activated but you still get real time maps? You're def not caching them?

Reactions: Ian Stark
Yes, real time. It's an old sim that is not activated. I sold my Samsung S7 and took the sim out of it before giving it to the buyer. I bought my new S9+ and it came with it's own sim. So, I took the one that was in my S7 and put it in the iPad mini 3. I did not call verizon and activate the old sim so I don't pay anything on my account for it. It does not actually have a cellular connection (can't surf the net, etc...without a wifi connection) but the GPS function works just fine.

Hi Just seen your post, so will the iphone hotspot give real time maps to the iPad Air 2?
Thanks in advance AndyD
Yes, it's just like having cellular when you are on a hotspot.

Reactions: andyd01275
Here are some commonly used features that cannot be used without an active Internet connection:
I currently have a problem using RTH to remote location with my new iPad 9.7 with cellular. I keep getting the pop up message stating; "Mobile device GPS signal is weak, it's location cannot be acquired." I created a thread on this (below) but, nothing stated about needing active internet connection. I "do not" have an active internet connection due to no data plan. Could this be the problem? If so, I could hot spot off my cell phone. Thanks, Ray
GPS Signal on iPad Not Being Recognized?

I appreciate this is a subject that has been covered in several other threads and I apologise if I seem to be unnecessarily duplicating the question, but I wonder if someone could give me a definitive answer. I've tried to combine the responses from several other threads here and elsewhere but I'm still a bit fuzzy on the specifics (plus there seems to be some conflicting views).

I have an iPad Air 16GB (original model) with wifi/cellular, but with no SIM inserted. I understand that I need the cell version (even without a SIM) in order to be able to use certain functions. So, my question:

I guess that I would not have access to maps without a SIM but I am reading up on how to cache these in advance.

Thanks for any help with this and again, apologies for going over old ground.
Also, I don't think that the non-cellular version of Apple Product have GPS capability. This is the reason that I bought a the Ipad Pro 9.7 cellular version (I do not have a sim card in mine either, don't need it). I think that is the real reason why everyone recommends the cellular version! Else, you could just turn on the HotSpot!

I Cached maps (satellite view) to my iPad Pro 2018 WiFi and cellular. Then I turned off WiFi and also turned airplane mode on (overkill I know)

Without using a hot-spot, I took it a couple of miles away and turned it on and pressed home and it showed me which corner of the intersection I was on.

I can't speak to non-cellular devices

EDIT:
Without a hot-spot should I be able to use this device when I fly as long as I stay in the Cached area as long as I don't need to do any of the things @msinger mentioned?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members