DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone trying to RTH - 'max power load reached' issue

Sadly, I've lost my mavic mini today. I was flying it and I noticed it said 'Max Power Load Reached' which is weird because I've never had that message before ever. I was about to loose signal and so I just initiated return to home, and it was returning fine, then it stopped and started drifting to the side. I do not know what to do, I tried searching for it for about 3 hours and couldn't find it.
Here are the logs, can anyone help me please?

Here are my Phantom Logs - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I want to know what my options are. Note: I did not put my contact details on the drone at all
sad.gif

I'm sorry for you.
I think you had a blow away as it was to windy to fly Weather Forecast Maps
I always check airdata.com to see if it's OK to fly.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Seems to be a reoccurring issue with the Mavic Mini. Wonder if it’s just because of it being underpowered or a software / hardware issue. Shades of the GoPro Karma failures! Time I suppose will tell.

Seems to be a reoccurring issue with the Mavic Mini. Wonder if it’s just because of it being underpowered or a software / hardware issue. Shades of the GoPro Karma failures! Time I suppose will tell.
all these issues are the result of operator mistakes,the new firmware has addressed the issue of the errors being displayed all the time,the problem is you cant expect a 250g drone with a two cell battery small motors and props to perform in windy conditions, the same as larger more powerful drones, it simple physics, you need to understand what the capabilities of the drone are, and adjust your flying accordingly,

all these issues are the result of operator mistakes,the new firmware has addressed the issue of the errors being displayed all the time,the problem is you cant expect a 250g drone with a two cell battery small motors and props to perform in windy conditions, the same as larger more powerful drones, it simple physics, you need to understand what the capabilities of the drone are, and adjust your flying accordingly,
totally agree.
also, after merely 300m-400m distance at 50m altitude you can barely see this model in the sky. to let it go too far that high is just not what it was built and intended for. if you want to fly extra far - there is mavic 2 for that, it does it way better. within VLOS distance this mavic mini operates just fine.

the only way to save it from the wind is to lower it down and fly back at low altitude and for that you need to be at VLOS.

i guess threads like this are going to become ever more regular,now that DJI have brought an affordable for many drone to market,where before the price of a mavic, would have put a lot of people off making that sort of investment,on what many consider to be a toy, although those of us in the know understand it is as far from a toy as its possible to get.

On two occasions now I’ve deliberately taken the MM up in wind speed way beyond its specification, it’s a technical marvel to watch this little drone battle to hold its position and fight back to its location when blown off track. When it was taken by the wind a quick select of sports mode and rapid decent got it back under control. A word of warning, I had good VLOS at all times and a large unobstructed, if I’d have lost connection with the controller it would have been lost in RTH mode. This drone is far from poorly designed or broken.

I had the same problem twice, that is the total loss of control of the drone when the message "maximum load reached" appeared; in both cases I had mounted the propeller protection; the first time the drone landed at high speed on the RTH point without being able to brake the vertical speed in any way; the second time he moved without control in various directions until he touched the ground at any point; I managed to find it on sight only because in both cases I had visual contact; it seems to me that that message of maximum load causes both the disconnection and then the impossibility to regain control

i guess threads like this are going to become ever more regular,now that DJI have brought an affordable for many drone to market,where before the price of a mavic, would have put a lot of people off making that sort of investment,on what many consider to be a toy, although those of us in the know understand it is as far from a toy as its possible to get.
Cheaper/ affordable drones have always been available to the masses, I’m sure there are plenty of lost drones due to wind, just not a dedicated forum to complain about it. I just think because it’s a DJI people are wrongly assuming they can fly it like the significantly more expensive models.

I had the same problem twice, that is the total loss of control of the drone when the message "maximum load reached" appeared; in both cases I had mounted the propeller protection; the first time the drone landed at high speed on the RTH point without being able to brake the vertical speed in any way; the second time he moved without control in various directions until he touched the ground at any point; I managed to find it on sight only because in both cases I had visual contact; it seems to me that that message of maximum load causes both the disconnection and then the impossibility to regain control
the prop cages severely restrict the flight performance of the MM, and as such are really for indoor flight,or a very calm day,they dramatically increase the surface area of the drone and that is why it struggles to fly with them on in any sort of wind

Reactions: wollins
downward looking cameras issues were supposedly addressed in the latest .300 firmware, but, i would be careful about trusting them too much. RTH is for bringing drone back to you where you can see it well, then it is the best practice to land it manually or hand catch it, with mini hand catch imho is the only right way to handle it.

only be careful as with hand launch it has a tendency to get quite high up in the air immediately - 1-1.5m sometimes, way more than mavic 2 did. but, i hope, they may find a solution to that.

also, everything GPS relates on mavic mini is way less reliable, i guess, mostly due to them using way smaller antenna patch and, probably, a different gps unit. it takes longer to get sat than mavic 2 does, get less sats, and has less accuracy and hdop.

Cheaper/ affordable drones have always been available to the masses, I’m sure there are plenty of lost drones due to wind, just not a dedicated forum to complain about it. I just think because it’s a DJI people are wrongly assuming they can fly it like the significantly more expensive models.
i was not saying that it is the only affordable drone out there, i was pointing out that it is the first Mavic ,to enjoy a price that more people may be able and prepared to pay to own

Have just purchased the Mini and have done 3 flights; first two, no problems and everything normal and very good conditions; third flight, full battery charge and very little wind however on the return to home (plus pushing full stick forward as this works similar to the Pro with extra speed) the craft was approx 100 mtrs high and at ground level, the wind increased dramatically plus gusting; I noticed the speed declined and the indicators on the App kept glitching out (have never seen this before) plus the battery decreased dramatically; I finished up bringing it home manually and used the map for direction; just made it !!! I can only surmise once the battery is low and you encounter severe winds it possibly has a negative effect on the functions (plus due to the crafts light weight?)?

Have just purchased the Mini and have done 3 flights; first two, no problems and everything normal and very good conditions; third flight, full battery charge and very little wind however on the return to home (plus pushing full stick forward as this works similar to the Pro with extra speed) the craft was approx 100 mtrs high and at ground level, the wind increased dramatically plus gusting; I noticed the speed declined and the indicators on the App kept glitching out (have never seen this before) plus the battery decreased dramatically; I finished up bringing it home manually and used the map for direction; just made it !!! I can only surmise once the battery is low and you encounter severe winds it possibly has a negative effect on the functions (plus due to the crafts light weight?)?
not good to do a RTH at 300ft plus high,the wind at that height would have been considerably stronger than where you were, you should have cancelled RTH ,and descended as you flew towards home, like a plane does on the glide slope to the runway its the easiest way to get down from height using less power

Reactions: bladski
I would have to chime in here and say some of the problems being reported are in fact directly traceable to operator error or inexperience. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say ALL the issues are due to error on the operators part. Many Confirmed that the firmware needed tweaking and much has been corrected In the last update. My previous comment stated time will tell, and we will see as things develop and more information is gathered. But it appears the “fly offs” are one of the more common issues. Weather conditions and drone weight being a contributor I’m sure. I feel such pointed statements and generalization that ALL were operator errors don’t help in making a product better and it only tends to hinder openly bringing up issues that are affecting the drones success and improvement. Product Forums should be a place where everyone’s experience should openly be shared without fear of being dismissed. Just my opinion and .02 cents.

I would have to chime in here and say some of the problems being reported are in fact directly traceable to operator error or inexperience. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say ALL the issues are due to error on the operators part. Many Confirmed that the firmware needed tweaking and much has been corrected In the last update. My previous comment stated time will tell, and we will see as things develop and more information is gathered. But it appears the “fly offs” are one of the more common issues. Weather conditions and drone weight being a contributor I’m sure. I feel such pointed statements and generalization that ALL were operator errors don’t help in making a product better and it only tends to hinder openly bringing up issues that are affecting the drones success and improvement. Product Forums should be a place where everyone’s experience should openly be shared without fear of being dismissed. Just my opinion and .02 cents.
thank you for your reply,with regards to pointed statements you stated that the MM is underpowered,how did you reach that observation,is it underpowered in relation to other mavics ,yes, but for its size and weight it has enough power to do what is expected of it
the fly offs as you call them are mainly due to operator error, and a lack of understanding of the drones abilities, we will just have to disagree at this time but you are entitled to your opinion the same as i am

So I've read the entire thread and all these drifting/loss of control instances seem to share one common denominator. They all seem to be the CE model? Could it have something to do with the technical specifications of that model as opposed to the FCC version? Dunno myself ... just wondering.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78