DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost MP into lake trying to fly off sailboat - dumb mistakes

scrumphy

Reactions
Putting up this post in the hopes that I might save someone else from dropping their MP into the drink. Bottom line, my overconfidence cost me my MP.

Situation:
Was out on a buddies sail boat on Lake Erie. Hand already done several hand launches and catches from power boats before, so did not think an issue to do another one this time. But two major issues launching/landing on a sail boat versus power boats. 1. Sail boats have a lot of rigging and the landing window can be very narrow. 2. Sail boats are difficult to keep stationary in the water, especially if there is any breeze, which is why you're probably sailing in the first place.

Aside from the issues above, made 4 rookie errors that ultimately lead to this disaster:

1. Took off with only 58% battery. Didn't think I would be flying that long and when I got in trouble on the hand catch landing, I didn't have the battery life cushion I needed which lead to panic and, well you know.
2. Did not disable to collision avoidance features. Trying to do a hand catch landing in a tight window between sailboat rigging, the MP kept "backing away" as I tried to bring it in.
3. Even a 1 knot forward motion requires you to maintain forward stick, while trying to also lower slowly for the usual hand catch process. Pretty much impossible to do with one hand on the controls and the other hand trying to catch the MP.
4. Not having a "bail out plan" when I knew I was in trouble. We were sailing only about 300 yards from a spit of land that was just an open field that is accessible my car. As I never considered landing in this field as "Plan B" BEFORE I took off, it did not occur to me in the heat of the battle when I was trying to manage a hand catch over water, on a moving object with the low battery alarm blaring away.

Hope this helps any would be sailboat videographers out there.

Scrumphy

Definitely good information and advice. It's certainly helpful. It takes extreme piloting to land or hand catch from a moving platform with obstacles no less.

What type of powerboat and conditions were you launching and catching from prior to the sailboat incident?

Sorry for your loss mate :(

But it's invalueable info - thanks for sharing Thumbswayup

Props are normally visible if flying in strong wind or in sport mode. Not a big issue.

As for the Getterback devices, I fly with 2 on my mavic every time I plan to fly over water. Well worth the investment for the peace of mind it brings.

That low battery warning sound adds to the stress in these situations.

Sorry for your loss.

Lost mine last week, replacement around a week and a half away :'(

Reactions: Drgnfli
Putting up this post in the hopes that I might save someone else from dropping their MP into the drink. Bottom line, my overconfidence cost me my MP.

Situation:
Was out on a buddies sail boat on Lake Erie. Hand already done several hand launches and catches from power boats before, so did not think an issue to do another one this time. But two major issues launching/landing on a sail boat versus power boats. 1. Sail boats have a lot of rigging and the landing window can be very narrow. 2. Sail boats are difficult to keep stationary in the water, especially if there is any breeze, which is why you're probably sailing in the first place.

Aside from the issues above, made 4 rookie errors that ultimately lead to this disaster:

1. Took off with only 58% battery. Didn't think I would be flying that long and when I got in trouble on the hand catch landing, I didn't have the battery life cushion I needed which lead to panic and, well you know.
2. Did not disable to collision avoidance features. Trying to do a hand catch landing in a tight window between sailboat rigging, the MP kept "backing away" as I tried to bring it in.
3. Even a 1 knot forward motion requires you to maintain forward stick, while trying to also lower slowly for the usual hand catch process. Pretty much impossible to do with one hand on the controls and the other hand trying to catch the MP.
4. Not having a "bail out plan" when I knew I was in trouble. We were sailing only about 300 yards from a spit of land that was just an open field that is accessible my car. As I never considered landing in this field as "Plan B" BEFORE I took off, it did not occur to me in the heat of the battle when I was trying to manage a hand catch over water, on a moving object with the low battery alarm blaring away.

Scrumphy
I applaud you for being this honest.
You hit the nail on the head with all you points. Like having to take into account extra time for those panic situations that always seem to happen on a sail yacht, only when you least expect it. Some one lets go of the jib just while you are making the final approach for catching your MP instance. Been there done that. Fortunately I always have 5 more minutes to hover and think of a new approach strategy if I need one. Indeed, have all stuff like OA and LP set to OFF.
Stays are a hazard. I have 2 back stays but a lot of room in the cockpit upwind side. That's the only place I dare to catch while under sail.

I use to come in for a hand catch well before the 30% warning that I set.

The biggest problem always is: Someone else is sailing my boat while I'm flying.
Not always good.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
In a situation like this, you can always position the Mavic Pro just above you (no more than a few feet) and perform an emergency motor stop and catch the Mavic as it falls from the sky. It's better than totally loosing it in the water.

Reactions: FuzLogix and Youser
Landing on a moving boat (especially under sails) is a nightmare :) Last time I had fortunately a catamaran with wide net in the front and was basically falling into the net every time :)

Situation:

Scrumphy

Sf

Situation:

Scrumphy

Try bringing the bird in backwards. This ensures the stick movements are consistent with the direction your flying. I’m gonna oversimplify this for most. If your flying in forward, to move the bird “to your left” left requires a right stick movement. When coming in backwards a left movement requires a left stick movement. Less to think about in such a dynamic situation. Also, this prevents you from having to disable the sensors on the MP.

I hope I said that right. Or was it left

Really sorry to hear of your loss, but thanks for sharing the info, reading stories like this makes others better pilots.

Hope you get yourself a new bird soon.

Ugh, sorry... did the same thing myself a few months ago but on a motorboat. My MP hit a ski rope and dropped in the water. I jumped in after it with my controller and wife's iPhone! I managed to get all the kit back in the boat. Rice worked for the controller and iPhone but not the MP. Sent it back to DJI and got a new one back. As an aside, I've never had a problem with DJI customer service.

Sf
Try bringing the bird in backwards. This ensures the stick movements are consistent with the direction your flying. I’m gonna oversimplify this for most. If your flying in forward, to move the bird “to your left” left requires a right stick movement. When coming in backwards a left movement requires a left stick movement. Less to think about in such a dynamic situation. Also, this prevents you from having to disable the sensors on the MP.
This is how I do it. Works like a charm.

Just adding to this: I have a great spot to fly from. It's a dock on a small lake that lets me get to a lot of areas in the city pretty fast. I usually take off and land on the dock. Not a huge takeoff/landing area, but I have no issues.

I was thinking the other day: Should I lose connection and am unable to reestablish before RTH & auto land, I'd be screwed.. couple feet off in any direction from the exact take-off point and it's going to land in the water or a railing. So now I take off and land on the walkway at the end of the dock, and walk to the end to fly.

Always try to think about the worse case scenario and how to deal with it...

I had a very similar problem, but a speedboat, not on a sailboat.
Very Strong winds, and battery at 8% . I was panicking pretty good,when my buddy grabbed the fish landing net and scooped the Mavic out of the air. I broke 2 props, but saved my Mavic

Reactions: kozinao
I never fly over water without foam balls attached for being able to land on water in case of emergency. Still can do hand-catch with the foam balls attached.

I never fly over water without foam balls attached for being able to land on water in case of emergency. Still can do hand-catch with the foam balls attached.
if a fishing rod can take out the foam balls i would think sailing rigging would do the same. need the getter-back or something a bit more useful in a crash

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000