DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost MP into lake trying to fly off sailboat - dumb mistakes

I had to launch and hand catch an inspire 1 from a moving sailboat in the British virgin islands for a shoot a few years ago. It was nerve wracking. But I don't think collision avoidance would help in this case.. it works for large, thick objects, but rigging is too hard to see for sure.

Putting up this post in the hopes that I might save someone else from dropping their MP into the drink. Bottom line, my overconfidence cost me my MP.

Situation:
Was out on a buddies sail boat on Lake Erie. Hand already done several hand launches and catches from power boats before, so did not think an issue to do another one this time. But two major issues launching/landing on a sail boat versus power boats. 1. Sail boats have a lot of rigging and the landing window can be very narrow. 2. Sail boats are difficult to keep stationary in the water, especially if there is any breeze, which is why you're probably sailing in the first place.

Aside from the issues above, made 4 rookie errors that ultimately lead to this disaster:

1. Took off with only 58% battery. Didn't think I would be flying that long and when I got in trouble on the hand catch landing, I didn't have the battery life cushion I needed which lead to panic and, well you know.
2. Did not disable to collision avoidance features. Trying to do a hand catch landing in a tight window between sailboat rigging, the MP kept "backing away" as I tried to bring it in.
3. Even a 1 knot forward motion requires you to maintain forward stick, while trying to also lower slowly for the usual hand catch process. Pretty much impossible to do with one hand on the controls and the other hand trying to catch the MP.
4. Not having a "bail out plan" when I knew I was in trouble. We were sailing only about 300 yards from a spit of land that was just an open field that is accessible my car. As I never considered landing in this field as "Plan B" BEFORE I took off, it did not occur to me in the heat of the battle when I was trying to manage a hand catch over water, on a moving object with the low battery alarm blaring away.

Hope this helps any would be sailboat videographers out there.

Scrumphy
I have taken my MP out on somewhat small boats (10 passengers) for diving and whale shark snorkeling. Getting it back is difficult. The boat needs to do everything possible to stop moving. I then back the drone to the boat so that the forward sensors don't go ballistic with a person being in front. The "catch crew" need to make their arms in a hoop and come at the forward prongs from the sides. But if they are patient and you are careful it can be done. I am confident that one day mine will go into the drink, too. Try to always start heading back to the boat by 40% battery. Sorry for the loss.

Putting up this post in the hopes that I might save someone else from dropping their MP into the drink. Bottom line, my overconfidence cost me my MP.

Situation:
Was out on a buddies sail boat on Lake Erie. Hand already done several hand launches and catches from power boats before, so did not think an issue to do another one this time. But two major issues launching/landing on a sail boat versus power boats. 1. Sail boats have a lot of rigging and the landing window can be very narrow. 2. Sail boats are difficult to keep stationary in the water, especially if there is any breeze, which is why you're probably sailing in the first place.

Aside from the issues above, made 4 rookie errors that ultimately lead to this disaster:

1. Took off with only 58% battery. Didn't think I would be flying that long and when I got in trouble on the hand catch landing, I didn't have the battery life cushion I needed which lead to panic and, well you know.
2. Did not disable to collision avoidance features. Trying to do a hand catch landing in a tight window between sailboat rigging, the MP kept "backing away" as I tried to bring it in.
3. Even a 1 knot forward motion requires you to maintain forward stick, while trying to also lower slowly for the usual hand catch process. Pretty much impossible to do with one hand on the controls and the other hand trying to catch the MP.
4. Not having a "bail out plan" when I knew I was in trouble. We were sailing only about 300 yards from a spit of land that was just an open field that is accessible my car. As I never considered landing in this field as "Plan B" BEFORE I took off, it did not occur to me in the heat of the battle when I was trying to manage a hand catch over water, on a moving object with the low battery alarm blaring away.

Hope this helps any would be sailboat videographers out there.

Scrumphy
Whenever I fly over water I use gettrback.

if a fishing rod can take out the foam balls i would think sailing rigging would do the same. need the getter-back or something a bit more useful in a crash
Nothing helps against stupidness, neither foam balls nor Getterback...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku