DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Mavic 2 Pro only a few days after purchasing! "flyaway" Never returned home

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK thanks, that solves the mystery. On airmap it only shows small red circles for those heliports, far from where he was flying. Didn't occur to me to check the DJI geofencing map as well.

Do the log say he was flying at night time? I'm still wondering why so many low light warnings or if it's a faulty vision sensor.

The flight started at 2018 PST on March 6.

Reactions: E90RAW
OK thanks, that solves the mystery. On airmap it only shows small red circles for those heliports, far from where he was flying. Didn't occur to me to check the DJI geofencing map as well.

Do the log say he was flying at night time? I'm still wondering why so many low light warnings or if it's a faulty vision sensor.
0802E11A-0D87-4D43-9E9C-54C570E8DCEA.pngDji showed it was safe..

Dji showed it was safe..

No - DJI Geo indicated that it was a legal location to fly. Nothing about that flight was safe, or even legal once you exceed 400 ft, flew over streets, traffic etc, and lost VLOS.

Flying smack dab in the middle of Down Town Los Angeles around the Promenade where high rise buildings rule. It was a doomed flight. The GPS in my car cuts out every time I'm near that area. That is warning enough for me . . . sorry you lost your bird.

Dji showed it was safe..
You have to follow FAA rules:
  1. Register your drone, mark (PDF) it on the outside with the registration number and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground when in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.
  4. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
    1. LAANC
    2. DroneZone
    3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
  5. NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.
  6. Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  7. Do not fly at night unless your drone has lighting that allows you to know its location and orientation at all times.
  8. Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  9. Never fly over any person or moving vehicle.
  10. Never interfere with emergency response activities such as disaster relief, any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  11. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Many over-the-counter medications have side effects that could impact your ability to safely operate your drone.
  12. Do not operate your drone in a careless or reckless manner.

1. Register your drone, mark (PDF) it on the outside with the registration number and carry proof of registration with you.
  3. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet above the ground when in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace.
  4. Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
    1. LAANC
    2. DroneZone
    3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].
  5. NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.
  6. Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  7. Do not fly at night unless your drone has lighting that allows you to know its location and orientation at all times.
  10. Never interfere with emergency response activities such as disaster relief, any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  11. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Many over-the-counter medications have side effects that could impact your ability to safely operate your drone.

Well 5 out of 12 isn't horrible

Having flown helicopters in the Downtown area during the 1984 Olympics there are lots of places a pilot would never spot a drone even if properly lighted. Hence the requirement is on the drone operator to maintain VLOS and give way to aircraft.

No way [Removed by ADMIN] could do that so we know 6 items were violated. It's this type of disregard to required procedures that put All of us at risk of losing privileges.
SAR put a lot more effort into this than is deserved

Last edited by a moderator:
@sar104 ,

Thank you for taking the time to analyze this flight and reporting your findings in an open and frank manner.

I normally feel for someone losing their aircraft, but in this case I hope it is never recovered by the owner. This type of irresponsible flying is what will likely end my flying in a few short years as the cost of doing so will be more than I can budget on my income with all the rule changes on the way.

I hope the FAA UAS division sees this thread and pursues @asage for this flight. I’m quite certain it was not the first instance of such irresponsible piloting.

Hopefully this can be a LEARNING MOMENT for @asage and many others who are new to UAS and more importantly UAS Regulations.

There were several mistakes made and this is a classic example of an Aircraft Incident being the sum of several mistakes instead of a single catastrophic failure.

@sar104 ,

Thank you for taking the time to analyze this flight and reporting your findings in an open and frank manner.

I normally feel for someone losing their aircraft, but in this case I hope it is never recovered by the owner. This type of irresponsible flying is what will likely end my flying in a few short years as the cost of doing so will be more than I can budget on my income with all the rule changes on the way.

I hope the FAA UAS division sees this thread and pursues @asage for this flight. I’m quite certain it was not the first instance of such irresponsible piloting.
It was my 5th recorded flight. It’s days old. I drove to la. It was my first time. You expect everyone to know laws and regulations outside what DJI informs them of? If the app allows it I believe it’s okay. Obviously no one is putting in my data themselves on airdata.com and seeing a different story and going off what the first comment or is saying. Why hope for such a horrible thing upon someone instead of help educate and spread word so you don’t lose ur privileges. Your approach of being an entitled done elitist is doing nothing but putting you with most of the same people on the internet do, troll behind a keyboard.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Hopefully this can be a LEARNING MOMENT for @asage and many others who are new to UAS and more importantly UAS Regulations.

There were several mistakes made and this is a classic example of an Aircraft Incident being the sum of several mistakes instead of a single catastrophic failure.
Thanks for a kind, uplifting, encouraging response. If it’s indeed my fault alone then I hope your right. But again, I know what happened and I think airdata.com tells a better story. Everyone is going off of one guys break down.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Thanks for a kind, uplifting, encouraging response. If it’s indeed my fault alone then I hope your right. But again, I know what happened and I think airdata.com tells a better story. Everyone is going off of one guys break down.

Sorry bud but this was entirely pilot error through and through. We all make mistakes and how we learn from those mistakes help define what happens going forward. Learn from them and embrace them while committing yourself to learning the aircraft and REGULATIONS in order to not make these same mistakes twice.

1. LAANC
    2. DroneZone
Input my data on airdata.com yourself and watch the video. Tell me if you have the same opinion.

He was flying under a 2500 ft Class B shelf, so uncontrolled. I don't see any airspace warnings - these were the app warnings during the flight - including one warning that the flight was likely illegal due to the height. The other warnings are due to the VPS and OA systems being unable to work at night:

13.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
14.9,OBSTACLE AVOIDED. REVISE FLIGHT ROUTE
32.2,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
58.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
121.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARDOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
222.5,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
223.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
258.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
261.9,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
265.1,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
268.4,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
269.5,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
342.5,FLIGHT ALTITUDE EXCEEDS 120 M. MAY VIOLATE LOCAL POLICIES AND REGULATIONS. ENSURE YOU HAVE OBTAINED PROPER AIRSPACE AUTHORIZATION
362.7,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
364.9,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
408.1,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
416.8,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
438.8,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARDOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
443.1,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
446.3,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
455.9,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
466.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
479.2,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
480.3,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
531.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
541.5,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
558.7,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
572.8,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
594.5,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
595.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
602.2,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
639.2,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
641.4,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/BACKWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
644.6,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
674.4,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
1001.9,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
1003.0,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
1006.3,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, FORWARD/VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
1007.3,AMBIENT LIGHT TOO WEAK, VISION POSITIONINGOBSTACLE SENSING IS UNAVAILABLE.ϼPLEASE ENSURE SAFETY DURING THE FLIGHT
1240.8,CRITICALLY LOW POWER. AIRCRAFT LANDING
None of these warnings displayed on my screen especially the amount of times they come up on the data logs. I got this from airdata.com but if you input my data on that website and watch a playback video of my flight showing how the drone was flown and when warnings were given you’ll see it’s very unusual. The drone flying backwards and sideways. Like my complaint

I don't think it can flash and make noise if the battery is dead but I might be wrong
The return to home button requires a long hold not a tap that might be why it didn’t work

Reactions: E90RAW and Rockycat
It was my 5th recorded flight. It’s days old. I drove to la. It was my first time. You expect everyone to know laws and regulations outside what DJI informs them of? If the app allows it I believe it’s okay. Obviously no one is putting in my data themselves on airdata.com and seeing a different story and going off what the first comment or is saying. Why hope for such a horrible thing upon someone instead of help educate and spread word so you don’t lose ur privileges. Your approach of being an entitled done elitist is doing nothing but putting you with most of the same people on the internet do, troll behind a keyboard.
I have better use of my time than to troll, but in your first post you stated that you registered with the FAA and therefore you had to have agreed to fly according to the rules set forth under the registration you choose. Since you did not say anything about testing, that narrows it down to recreational. As highlighted in an earlier post in this thread, you violated at least 5 of the 12 rules to fly recreationally. DJI does not set the rules for use of the airspace in the US the FAA does and you obviously did not take the time to read, research, and follow those rules.

On top of that you steadfastly hold your ground that you were allowed to make such a flight because DJI didn’t stop you!!! DJI was not the Pilot in Command, you were and you were way out of line. You are the type of sUAS Pilot that needs to be banned from ever piloting another sUAS. You are a prime example of what the press makes headlines out of. I and the majority of other pilots on here end up paying the price for the irresponsible acts of pilots like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC