DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Mavic 2 Pro only a few days after purchasing! "flyaway" Never returned home

Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire discussion illustrates a big problem with the availability of this technology to the public, with no training or testing required. In many situations the DJI gear is borderline foolproof, but not in this kind of urban environment. I think it's pretty clear that the OP really was just ignorant of the regulations and completely lacking the necessary understanding to control the aircraft. I'm convinced that there was no deliberate intent to flout the law - if only because this thread would not exist if that were the case.

Currently there are no regulations to require DJI, or any other manufacturer, to force pilots to learn. Does the brief on screen test still appear or did that go away? But this is a prime example of one aspect of exactly what Congress tasked the FAA to figure out. The proposed recreational test, if enforced, would have given the OP a better grasp of regulations and flight constraints. The community, as a whole, needs to pay attention to this and realize that these kind of events are what will, completely appropriately, drive further regulation.

This entire discussion illustrates a big problem with the availability of this technology to the public, with no training or testing required. In many situations the DJI gear is borderline foolproof, but not in this kind of urban environment. I think it's pretty clear that the OP really was just ignorant of the regulations and completely lacking the necessary understanding to control the aircraft. I'm convinced that there was no deliberate intent to flout the law - if only because this thread would not exist if that were the case.

Currently there are no regulations to require DJI, or any other manufacturer, to force pilots to learn. Does the brief on screen test still appear or did that go away? But this is a prime example of one aspect of exactly what Congress tasked the FAA to figure out. The proposed recreational test, if enforced, would have given the OP a better grasp of regulations and flight constraints. The community, as a whole, needs to pay attention to this and realize that these kind of events are what will, completely appropriately, drive further regulation.
Unfortunately that is mostly true. Since the OP registered with the FAA he was also exposed to the rules for flying recreationally.

The FAA should have had the test in place for recreational pilots long ago. The knowledge needed to fly safely is not that hard to understand and if you can’t understand it you shouldn’t be flying.

Alot of it to me is common Sense, what if I lose signal, what if battery pops out, I always think of the what ifs.

Reactions: mmoguls and E90RAW
@asage – since @new2mavic already posted the location in post #7 – that is correct. It's either in the tree or it fell to the ground and was almost certainly picked up. If you get it back please don't fly again until you have read the manual, learned the regulations, and then practiced somewhere away from people and structures.

grab19.jpg

Last edited:

There's been a lot of complaints about the UK registration scheme but I think it's quite reasonable (and nowhere near as bad as it could have been) and it does exactly what you suggest. To register a drone you need to read through the main regulations and then pass a 20 question test which presents scenarios and ask what you should do.

@asage i see you edited your OP which I am reverting back.
Please do not do that no more as it messes up the rest of the thread for others that might be reading this for the first
time.

@asage i see you edited your OP which I am reverting back.
Please do not do that no more as it messes up the rest of the thread for others that might be reading this for the first
time.

You might want to preserve the OP's followup comments though, since those were very relevant.

Tell you what being it is what it is and nothing else can be said that hasn’t already been said I’m just closing this.
OP hate this was a costly lesson but hope you as well as anyone else reading it has gained some knowledge from this.
dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143