DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reboh613

Reactions
Hi,

I was flying my drone all was good accept it was a little choppy at close proximity when i was flying it at the park. It was when I was hovering a tennis court and taking pictures that It suddenly lost transmission. I waited a little bit but was freaking out because it was only 400 feet away and very unusual that it would go completely dark. Anyways, I freaked out and shut off my controller thinking I would restart it but that did nothing.

My flight recorder shows that the last place was hovering the tennis court. I think it was set to go 20m down and then go home. Why can’t I see exactly where it crashed? Because it’s impossible that it crashed where it last was seen because nothing was under it and it was up 350 feet.

Below are my flight records if anyone can help maybe pinpoint where it is. Thank you!

Then apparently it turned back on a few hours later and says its 2.6 feet off the ground . Does this mean it is actually 2.6 feet off the ground or can it be 65 feet up on a tree but it is calculating the next branch below it which is 2.6 feet off the ground?

Attachments

• 2020-06-08_10-18-29_FLY096.DAT
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-08_[10-20-14].txt
    37 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-08_[10-20-43].txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Someone (@sar104) will ask you to post your logs for analysis, but I can see that a new home point was created at spot E. Did you look there? If it landed there then someone probably picked it up by now. Did you have your phone number on it?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Welcome to the forum, just sad it is under such unfortunate circumstances.
Hopefully you can find it, and in one piece.

Reactions: Reboh613
Hi,

I was flying my drone all was good accept it was a little choppy at close proximity when i was flying it at the park. It was when I was hovering a tennis court and taking pictures that It suddenly lost transmission. I waited a little bit but was freaking out because it was only 400 feet away and very unusual that it would go completely dark. Anyways, I freaked out and shut off my controller thinking I would restart it but that did nothing.

My flight recorder shows that the last place was hovering the tennis court. I think it was set to go 20m down and then go home. Why can’t I see exactly where it crashed? Because it’s impossible that it crashed where it last was seen because nothing was under it and it was up 350 feet.

Below are my flight records if anyone can help maybe pinpoint where it is. Thank you!

Then apparently it turned back on a few hours later and says its 2.6 feet off the ground . Does this mean it is actually 2.6 feet off the ground or can it be 65 feet up on a tree but it is calculating the next branch below it which is 2.6 feet off the ground?

Can you see if you can retrieve the mobile device DAT file ending FLY096.DAT? That should contain location data.

when I open it on VLC it’s empty. Says under duration 00:00... what does that mean? New to this..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
when I open it on VLC it’s empty. Says under duration 00:00... what does that mean? New to this..

Amongst other things it means that it's not a video file. You need either to post it here, or examine it yourself:

You were very impatient and took off and flew some distance without GPS or a home point.
The drone was not able to record a home point until 2:54 so it will be some distance from where you launched.
The homepoint recorded was at 40.07241 -75.12409 and after losing signal that's where the drone would have attempted to return to.
This is shown by the yellow arrow.

The recorded flight track suggests another home point but I can't tell where it got that from
It's shown by the black arrow and it is not the home point which is shown in the flight data.

i-3j2rDZJ-L.jpg

My flight recorder shows that the last place was hovering the tennis court. I think it was set to go 20m down and then go home.
Your drone will never descend to RTH.
It will have attempted to fly to a point above the home point and then descend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
You were very impatient and took off and flew some distance without GPS or a home point.
The drone was not able to record a home point until 2:54 so it will be some distance from where you launched.
The homepoint recorded was at 40.07241 -75.12409 and after losing signal that's where the drone would have attempted to return to.
This is shown by the yellow arrow.

The recorded flight track suggests another home point but I can't tell where it got that from
It's shown by the black arrow and it is not the home point which is shown in the flight data.

i-3j2rDZJ-L.jpg

Your drone will never descend to RTH.
It will have attempted to fly to a point above the home point and then descend.
Now this gets more interesting... there were no trees in the area that are 350 feet high...

Amongst other things it means that it's not a video file. You need either to post it here, or examine it yourself:

Attachments

• 2020-06-08_10-18-29_FLY096.DAT
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-08_[10-20-14].txt
    37 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-08_[10-20-43].txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Okay - so it didn't reconnect later - the log file with the 2:20 pm timestamp is actually from just before the last flight, and the timestamp is wrong. So the DAT file ends at the same point as the flight log, with no indications or any problem.

There really are only a few possibilities here.
  1. The aircraft shut down due to processor crash or power failure;
  2. The aircraft disconnected from the RC (unlikely) in which case it would have entered RTH almost immediately;
  3. The app disconnected and the aircraft eventually went to RTH, which would have been 150 seconds after the disconnect.
There was very little wind - around 2 m/s out of the north, and so it would have crashed onto the tennis court as shown by the power-off descent track shown below in green.

The home point was as indicated by @Meta4 above, and if (2) or (3) occurred then it would have returned there - the red pin below.

grab112.jpg

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Now this gets more interesting... there were no trees in the area that are 350 feet high...

Okay - so it didn't reconnect later - the log file with the 2:20 pm timestamp is actually from just before the last flight, and the timestamp is wrong. So the DAT file ends at the same point as the flight log, with no indications or any problem.

There really are only a few possibilities here.
  1. The aircraft shut down due to processor crash or power failure;
  2. The aircraft disconnected from the RC (unlikely) in which case it would have entered RTH almost immediately;
  3. The app disconnected and the aircraft eventually went to RTH, which would have been 150 seconds after the disconnect.
There was very little wind - around 2 m/s out of the north, and so it would have crashed onto the tennis court as shown by the power-off descent track shown below in green.

The home point was as indicated by @Meta4 above, and if (2) or (3) occurred then it would have returned there - the red pin below.

View attachment 104438

Thank you for your response. It’s hard to believe It landed on the tennis court as I was at the scene 5 min after loosing connection. No where to be found with no one around...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S