DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P, swollen, bloated, puffy, bulging, falling brick from the sky, drop dead out of the sky

After 4:58 flight time M2P signaled disconnected; afterward found this​

View attachment 130573

On the road, battery missing. Battery found 3 days later 25m away in the field.

Wrote the repair center what happened; they ignored it and charged full cost for repair. This motivated me to demonstrate that it is possible to capture how the battery disconnects from the chassis. Video link:
shows the last seconds of flight on the test I ran and you´ll see what happens. Another clip shows the fall-down from another angle. It was the 11th attempt with this battery to reproduce the fall. During that time I didn’t notice any reduced capacity of the battery and it took more than 15 min to see visible bulging on the battery.
Judging by the gap between the battery and battery compartment, I wonder if there is a defect in the battery compartment or the snapping part that locks the battery in.
Maybe it's different on a M2P but my MA2 battery sits flush with the body (there is no gap)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Judging by the gap between the battery and battery compartment, I wonder if there is a defect in the battery compartment or the snapping part that locks the battery in.
Maybe it's different on a M2P but my MA2 battery sits flush with the body (there is no gap)
This brings up a really good point , With many of the drones the battery will sit flush but others can have a small gap , if the Gap is more than 1/16 it is a concern and will send it back for the clients.

Since the battery is checked to be flat the focus is on the drone itself being the issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.

Reactions: Droniac
Maybe it would be a good idea to install a battery and then pull up on it without pinching the release buttons to see if it pulls out or if it is indeed locked into place.

Am I the only one not to experience this problem at all? I have flown four batteries on maybe hundreds of flights and see no bulging and they snap in. I always check them but not a problem.
I have 3 birds with LiPo and never had an issue. I wander what the underlying cause is? Or rather what causes some to swell and not others.
Regards

Am I the only one not to experience this problem at all? I have flown four batteries on maybe hundreds of flights and see no bulging and they snap in. I always check them but not a problem.
Hi Trackerputnam,
you are a lucky guy in this sense so far, but consider, we talk to eachother because it happened to our toys and so we care for. And as for me it lasts if one fails out of eight. Take care and my message is, you should know.

Hi G Randy Brown,
my focus on the issue is, the toy falls miraculously out of the sky, no one told me before such could happen. You point to the gap, yes, in the clip you look at the last twenty seconds of a flight time of 19m 20s (extract from Airdata) duration, the pictures are 1/100sec.

No you are not alone, I too have flown for many many hours on three batteries that are 3 years old now and never had any problems with batteries falling out or bulging. I do see in the video that your battery is not properly clipped in. If you fly like that you are asking for it to fall out.

Yeah that's what I noticed, at the start of the video the battery is already not seated. My M2Z is absolutely flush, and that is what I always look for before and after flight.

No you are not alone, I too have flown for many many hours on three batteries that are 3 years old now and never had any problems with batteries falling out or bulging. I do see in the video that your battery is not properly clipped in. If you fly like that you are asking for it to fall out.
Not my drone! The ops! I always double check the battery and have an absolutely flush fit.

I like your products but this is a stretch.... It undermines your credibility to jump in on this post with what amounts to a product advertiusement.
Got to give the dude credit though He plug his products every chance he can!!?

From video it is clear the battery does not seat fully - look at the top face - it should be flush w/ aircraft but instead you can see the step...either part tolerance stack-up, poor assembly workmanship, swollen battery or battery connector issues is cause.

Just checked my M2E and the battery to aircraft face is smooth as glass - batteries have significant cycles but always used conservatively in terms of SOC depletion, temperature and storage conditions.

Kudos to OP for capturing the go / no-go indicator.

I fly MP's, have two of them, 4 batteries which I rotate , and have not had any issues, don't fly on very hot days.

I like your products but this is a stretch.... It undermines your credibility to jump in on this post with what amounts to a product advertiusement.
If I might… phantomrain is who I purchased my wet suit from. As well as the only one I know of who crafted it. It’s as he says it is and was truly giving you excellent council imo. The quirky thing is that other than a brief mention of his product at the bottom of his posts, He is a verified vendor of this forum and a long time member as well. I can see why you’d feel somewhat offset. I respect that. But I’d like to suggest in this case, don’t believe every thing something “sounds like”. Doing business with him one so far, mixing colors so I’d find my mav more identifiable. Price point for members is a nice discount for what he includes also. I want to thank you for sharing those battery screw up malfunctions. In the past I used the forums suggestion and use Velcro straps to secure the battery. The wet suit is far superior and also allow the bananas (myself and others) who enjoy flying in the rain to do so. It’s the first I saw it reproduced like that. If DJI made you pay full for full repair it isn’t fair and imo odd. I will admit from hearing good and bad was one of the reasons I didn’t buy their protection policy and insured it on my own with a rider on my current insurance policy. I hope this helps in some way. Godspeed Droniac.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have 3 birds with LiPo and never had an issue. I wander what the underlying cause is? Or rather what causes some to swell and not others.
Regards
I never question miracles. Lol. Godspeed Droniac

Reactions: Gagey52
To add to this list: my Zoom told me my battery was not plugged in then crashed, both front arms and gimbal destroyed. I put it in a box for 14 months. I just purchased another Zoom with 4 hours of flight time on it but this one will have the battery strapped on during each flight, vellcro straps are cheap.

To add to this list: my Zoom told me my battery was not plugged in then crashed, both front arms and gimbal destroyed. I put it in a box for 14 months. I just purchased another Zoom with 4 hours of flight time on it but this one will have the battery strapped on during each flight, vellcro straps are cheap.
When you tire of messing with the straps you might consider getting the Wet Suit that seals the Batteries in air tight and hassle free. We offer the members a nice package.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain/Snow an secure your battery .

Last edited:
one would assume after all the spark incidents they would make sure it never happen again especially with the high dollar aircraft

one would assume after all the spark incidents they would make sure it never happen again especially with the high dollar aircraft

I'm almost certain it's simple battery design that leads to much of this battery popping issue.
The M1P / MPP battery back had a lovely little recessed area, and I'm sure as batteries eventually get a little puffy when pushed hard, that allows them to swell that little bit and not put pressure on the clips / housing.

They stopped this with future models, and I think the M2 really has had the worst of this issue with swelling / popping out of all other models made since the M1.

The Sparks, well that was a problem with poor design clips on early ones, they did address that and later batteries had larger clips to lock it in better.
You still have to ensure you feel those clicks as it locks in though.

The Spark issue, original battery clips top, and the updated battery clip type below . . .

Spark_battery_clips.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803