DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Fatal Flaw: Broken Camera/Gimbal?

Why not? Glues are used in more places than you might think.

I drive a Lotus Exige and why is this relevant you may ask? That red stuff? GLUE :) - the car I drive is glued together :)

chassis5.jpg

Wouldn't be a consumer price point then. Plus too much KE weight wise so they'd be restricted (ironically, heavier and less likely to crash with redundancy).

Im fully expecting if i dont crash it myself at some point one of the many non redundant parts on my MP to fail and then its gone. It'll happen at some point. Im just impressed i get it back after each flight so far!

I drive a Lotus Exige and why is this relevant you may ask? That red stuff? GLUE :) - the car I drive is glued together :)

Well they "glue" (ok resin) the wings and pieces onto real aircraft, some rated for extreme G or hundreds of people without issue....
(Maybe the 787 binliner isnt the best example given everything else wrong with it but the wings have never unstuck!).

I can't see the problem with glue provided its quality controlled, correctly tested and applied per spec.

Well they "glue" (ok resin) the wings and pieces onto real aircraft, some rated for extreme G or hundreds of people without issue....
(Maybe the 787 binliner isnt the best example given everything else wrong with it but the wings have never unstuck!).

I can't see the problem with glue provided its quality controlled, correctly tested and applied per spec.

Exactly my thinking too. If the glue is appropriate, then glue away!

I have always been against purchasing drones on first release. My M2P will be here tomorrow and I am seriously thinking about shipping it right back without even opening the thing. I bought a P4 and Spark refurbished and they are great, so I thought I'd take a shot at a new release. I really hope this is a hoax, and/or DJI makes some kind of a statement to reassure customers. Otherwise, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable putting $1500 in the air with that photo of a dangling gimbal in the back of my mind. The only way to have real corroboration of this as an anomaly or even hoax is to wait at least 3-6 months as end users accumulate flight time.

This came from one of the facebook groups, but a user has already had the camera and gimbal separate. It was flown for less than 2 minutes, yes, TWO, and when it was set on a table they heard a clunk.

Is this something that more users will have issues with?

Yes it's a flaw. Fatal ofcourse. Overtime it won't last. I live in the Caribbean. Hot weather. For sure the camera will eventually slide off. I guess screws will make it heavier and unstable? Hmm strange. Guess the zoom is the way to go.

I have always been against purchasing drones on first release. My M2P will be here tomorrow and I am seriously thinking about shipping it right back without even opening the thing. I bought a P4 and Spark refurbished and they are great, so I thought I'd take a shot at a new release. I really hope this is a hoax, and/or DJI makes some kind of a statement to reassure customers. Otherwise, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable putting $1500 in the air with that photo of a dangling gimbal in the back of my mind. The only way to have real corroboration of this as an anomaly or even hoax is to wait at least 3-6 months as end users accumulate flight time.
We might not need to wait that long. There is alredy a poll up here about failures within the 1st few flights which is when this was supposed to have happened.

Reactions: Gadget Inspector
Yes it's a flaw. Fatal ofcourse. Overtime it won't last. I live in the Caribbean. Hot weather. For sure the camera will eventually slide off. I guess screws will make it heavier and unstable? Hmm strange. Guess the zoom is the way to go.

And yet planes dont drop out of the sky, spacecraft dont fall to pieces and cars crumble even though they all use glue and operate in far more extreme environments.

They've made millions of units. Some will have faults. And it appears this guy dropped it, landing on the gimbal onto the corner of a table. Hardly a fault with the product.

Not much of the issue you’re kidding right. It’s a $1500 drone and you have to already glue it back together.

Maybe not dropping it onto the corner of a table might have helped there?

Do you REALLY expect ANY consumer product at all to have absolutely NO defects with any of the models shipped? Complete 100% manufacturing and quality control?

Not much of the issue you’re kidding right. It’s a $1500 drone and you have to already glue it back together.

You mean there is an entirely unsubstantiated report that one user, who is quite sure that he absolutely didn't drop it of course, no way, might have to to repair one M2P.

Maybe not dropping it onto the corner of a table might have helped there?

Do you REALLY expect ANY consumer product at all to have absolutely NO defects with any of the models shipped? Complete 100% manufacturing and quality control?

Of course. Not only must they be 100% free of defects, but also 100% free of dubious social media claims of defects.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
The other day I dropped a glass on the edge of my coffee table. I couldn't believe it shattered! Upon closer inspection I realized not only was there nothing holding it together, but the entire thing was literally made of glass! Ridiculous, I'm considering a class action lawsuit. It's almost as if they didn't expect me to drop it on the edge of my coffee table or something. Who's in?

Im fully expecting if i dont crash it myself at some point one of the many non redundant parts on my MP to fail and then its gone. It'll happen at some point. Im just impressed i get it back after each flight so far!
I'm right there with you. My M2P will be my first real drone and I fully expect to lose it lol. I'm doubling up on DJI refresh and State Farm insurance just in case. I don't think I'd have the huevos to send it up uninsured.

Reactions: Former Member
Does anyone think that it's possible that this might just be Youtube click bait? Ive repaired alot of DJI drones, and I have never once seen a motor become disconnected like that. With all the testing that DJI must have done, Im not 100% sure about the source of this info. Someone named "Dustin on Facebook" reported this. We will see how many others will have the same problem.
It's not clickbait, I am a member of the group that Dustin is on and watched the whole thing transpire from the initial post to when it went viral and how DJI handled it. It's all accurate info. If I'm not mistaken I believe Dustin said he has multiple drones including an Inspire (I think he's a professional photographer). He was very sincere, posted multiple pics of the rest of the drone to show that it wasn't crashed, not a knick on it. He was just a little shocked and concerned. If it happened to you for no apparent reason on the first day you flew your drone I can guarantee you'd post pictures and be telling everyone.

I just did the same,the original poster is bogus & I have only seen the same pics posted by several different people
It's not bogus, I'm a member of the group with Dustin and saw the moment he posted it. They actually banned me from the group for 24 hours because I kept pressing the issue with DJI while they were commenting on his thread. They are 2nd day air'ing him a replacement drone. I think they realize the gravity of the PR situation.

We= all the naysayers on Dustin's post thinking he was full of crap.

Pics are on the facebook post of the group that the dji admins kicked me out of.

Video is in the same place.
They kicked you out too? Last i saw I was banned for 24 hours but I can't even see that message anymore and the group coverpage won't even load. Won't know until 1:39 tonight whether I'm permanently banned for talking about "Gluegate"

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J