DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - Active Track Has Come A Long Way!!!

Superdaddy

Reactions
So I received my MP2 late yesterday. Given the time of day the first thing I did was try out low light. Impressive.

First thing I did this morning was test out Active Track 2.0. Although far from perfect, I was very excited by the results as my MA failed greatly in this regard. The M2P avoided numerous obstacles, ascended and descended as I did (the creek is probably 10-15 feet below the rest of the trail), and made its way around turns. Strangely, it seemed to recognize me after going behind a tree, but did not continue to fly sideways, it only yawed as I rode.

I am posting my video for those who are interested. Before anyone comments, it is a quick test of the MP2 Active Track system and not an example of great editing, great music choice or great biking skills. It is just a test.

This can be compared to my post on the MA a few months ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. That's a great demo. I saw this in some of the fanboy demos (vloggers) but it is nice to see a real life demonstration.

So, on the 2nd scenario, when the drone was flying sideways to film you from the side, was the performance not as good?

On the MP, I gave up on the ActiveTrack very quickly. It was a novelty that would be quickly confused any time you altered direction or it encountered anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for sharing. That's a great demo. I saw this in some of the fanboy demos (vloggers) but it is nice to see a real life demonstration.

So, on the 2nd scenario, when the drone was flying sideways to film you from the side, was the performance not as good?

Sideways was the only place where it really failed at all and even then it was relatively minor. Passing the first tree it picked me up again, but it didn't continue flying sideways, it just turned to follow me. While I am not sure it should matter, the M2P was much higher than when it was following me from behind (it was low, like 10 feet or so) as I didn't have as much confidence in the side sensors and if there was failure, it may very well end up in the river. The second set of trees, I think, is just asking too much.

I'll be trying out the profile perpective this weekend while wake boarding and I will be much lower given the few obstructions on the lake. I am excited to see how it does. If people are interested, I'll post.

...I'll be trying out the profile perpective this weekend while wake boarding and I will be much lower given the few obstructions on the lake. I am excited to see how it does. If people are interested, I'll post.
Yes. Following a boat on the water would be great to see.

Do you know if Mavic Pro 2 can now follow you when you go downwards on a hill?

It did follow me down to the creek bed. I think it was like 10 - 15 foot descent over about 50-60 feet of trail. It also followed me up and out of the creek bed.

I would imagine if it can recognize relatively minor variations in terrain, it would recognize greater ones. I will add that, although it is not readily apparent from the video, from the truck to the left turn on to the fire road, is probably a 10-20 foot increase, it is just over a 1/4 mile or so.

Sideways was the only place where it really failed at all and even then it was relatively minor. Passing the first tree it picked me up again, but it didn't continue flying sideways, it just turned to follow me. While I am not sure it should matter, the M2P was much higher than when it was following me from behind (it was low, like 10 feet or so) as I didn't have as much confidence in the side sensors and if there was failure, it may very well end up in the river. The second set of trees, I think, is just asking too much.

I'll be trying out the profile perpective this weekend while wake boarding and I will be much lower given the few obstructions on the lake. I am excited to see how it does. If people are interested, I'll post.
Please do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser