DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Moire Issues

I don’t mean to get off topic, but I’m fairly new to editing and I noticed in Lightroom CC there is an option when applying a gradient to remove noise and remove Moire. What exactly is the difference? Either way hope they can correct any issues with the M2P. Don’t own one myself but I plan on upgrading this time next year.

M2P Hasselblad and color treatment looks good (in LOG mode) but I am seeing some pretty bad case of moiré and some aliasing as well. I am hopeful this will be addressed soon by way of firmware update.

I still haven't seen any updates or read much else regarding this issue and day after day I keep having more video files ruined by this issue, I can't tell if this is normal for a smaller sensor and I've been spoiled over the years by my FF DSLR sensors, or if something in DJI's software is causing this. Any more recent input?

dtm-04.jpgdtm-06.jpg

I still haven't seen any updates or read much else regarding this issue and day after day I keep having more video files ruined by this issue, I can't tell if this is normal for a smaller sensor and I've been spoiled over the years by my FF DSLR sensors, or if something in DJI's software is causing this. Any more recent input?

View attachment 54944View attachment 54945
I have same issues. Doesn't happen with my P4P - It's the only downside to the Mavic 2 Pro

So it's been a few months. Has anyone found solutions to the Moire situation or just given up?

I know this thread's a bit old, but I shot some video today with my Mavic 2 Pro and got very strong moire (anti-aliasing?). Here's a clip, you can see it in the buildings.

Shot in 4K HQ, D-Log. I edit in Resolve, tried to soften it a bit, but the moire doesn't go away until way too much blur is applied.

Any suggestions for minimizing the moire would be appreciated.

The M2P is painfully poor in low-light conditions.
Raising exposure when shooting in low light can help.
The trees in the foreground are much worse than the buildings IMO.

You could try Noise Reduction followed by a bit of sharpening.
If you have Davinci Resolve Studio:
Temporal Noise Reduction - Frames 5, Better, Medium, Luma/Chroma 15
Spatial Noise Reduction - Faster, Medium, Luma/Chroma 5
OFX Sharpen: 1.5

I know this thread's a bit old, but I shot some video today with my Mavic 2 Pro and got very strong moire (anti-aliasing?). Here's a clip, you can see it in the buildings.

Shot in 4K HQ, D-Log. I edit in Resolve, tried to soften it a bit, but the moire doesn't go away until way too much blur is applied.

Any suggestions for minimizing the moire would be appreciated.

Have you tried setting the 'sharpening" in the camera settings to +1?
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I have seen a few posts somewhere as well as a few YouTube videos that have made it a point that the M2P's "0" sharpness setting has a bit of built-in moire or noise reduction that is affecting some images. The +1 setting seems to negate that.

The M2P is painfully poor in low-light conditions.
Raising exposure when shooting in low light can help.
The trees in the foreground are much worse than the buildings IMO.

You could try Noise Reduction followed by a bit of sharpening.
If you have Davinci Resolve Studio:
Temporal Noise Reduction - Frames 5, Better, Medium, Luma/Chroma 15
Spatial Noise Reduction - Faster, Medium, Luma/Chroma 5
OFX Sharpen: 1.5

Thanks for the reply. That was a very quick color grade just to show the moire; I boosted the gamma quite a bit, too much, probably should just let them go dark. Also, I'll try that noise reduction.

Have you tried setting the 'sharpening" in the camera settings to +1?
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I have seen a few posts somewhere as well as a few YouTube videos that have made it a point that the M2P's "0" sharpness setting has a bit of built-in moire or noise reduction that is affecting some images. The +1 setting seems to negate that.

Haven't tried that, but I will. My footage from the Mavic usually needs sharpening in post anyway...

I have to agree on the terrible moire of the mavic 2 pro. Much worse than the Mavic 2 zoom and the Phantom 4 Pro when I nearly never noticed any moire pattern. With the Mavic 2 if you shoot in cities you are in big trouble. You will get moire on many buildings. Difficult to remove. This is really disappointing.......

I have to agree on the terrible moire of the mavic 2 pro. Much worse than the Mavic 2 zoom and the Phantom 4 Pro when I nearly never noticed any moire pattern. With the Mavic 2 if you shoot in cities you are in big trouble. You will get moire on many buildings. Difficult to remove. This is really disappointing.......
Yep. Anytime I need QUALITY video I use my P4P V2....

Reactions: mastix
People complain about moire but the reason it happens is because the lens is too good. Moire occurs when details finer than double the spacing of pixels in the sensor are imaged on the sensor creating new spatial frequencies that weren't in the original image. That usually takes a good lens which the Mavic 2 Pro appears to have. The only solution is to blur the image slightly which can be done several different ways. One simple way is to shoot wide open or with a very small aperture which decreases the performance of the lens but that usually has its own issues. Sometime anti-aliasing filters are available which go in front or behind the lens and do the blurring. Behind the lens works best but in the case of the MP, that's not an option. The Pentax K-1 camera was built without an anti-aliasing filter on purpose so the maximum performance of some lenses could be reached but there again, moire raises its ugly face so, Pentax built in a means to make the sensor jitter slightly (move) to blur the image if moire was an issue (many times it isn't). Here's a site that explains a bit more about moire.

What is an anti-aliasing filter? - Improve Photography

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851