DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 started Auto-landing procedure by itself. Why?

peros550

Reactions
Pretty much the title says it all. I was flying today and at some point I heard the message "Landing"
I was panicked but hopefully pressed the pause button and then landed safely but If I hadn't do that the drone could had crashed on trees.

I have uploaded the txt file here for anyone who would like to have a look. Moment when auto landing happened is 3m45s.

My question is what triggered the Auto-landing?

Some more info: Tody the temperature outside was -3C and there was a lot of fog.

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to write some feedback and Happy New Year :)

Seen a few cases like this here earlier ... my bet is either that the fog itself tricked the VPS sensors to go in for landing or that you got a moisture/frost build up on the sensor eye due to the hotter battery & cold air leading to the same result... but can't tell for sure.

or that you got a moisture/frost build up on the sensor eye due to the hotter battery & cold air leading to the same result... but can't tell for sure.
Hi thanks for taking the time to answer. Which is the sensor eye you are referring to?
Any steps to prevent this from occurring again?

This is also another anomaly ... massive amp draw just seconds before the drone starts to auto land ..?

2020-01-03_12-19-12.jpg

This is also another anomaly ... massive amp draw just seconds before the drone starts to auto land ..?

Possibly the landing lights triggered?

Pretty much the title says it all. I was flying today and at some point I heard the message "Landing"
I was panicked but hopefully pressed the pause button and then landed safely but If I hadn't do that the drone could had crashed on trees.

I have uploaded the txt file here for anyone who would like to have a look. Moment when auto landing happened is 3m45s.

My question is what triggered the Auto-landing?

Some more info: Tody the temperature outside was -3C and there was a lot of fog.

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to write some feedback and Happy New Year :)
Obviously don’t fly in those weather conditions is the simple answer.

Reactions: Checki
Possibly the landing lights triggered?
no, didn't notice the ligths, and it was day time.

There is a way to have those lights turned on via a switch. That was why I asked.

Interesting behavior which has not been described in the user manual. My understanding is that auto landing can only be triggered by low battery and it definitely cannot be cancelled. The obstruction of the bottom sensors cannot cause such behavior. If you put your hands within two inches beneath the drone while it is hovering, it will just keep hovering. If your hand is further down, the drone will bounce up. I tend to believe its a software glitch.

Interesting behavior which has not been described in the user manual. My understanding is that auto landing can only be triggered by low battery and it definitely cannot be cancelled. The obstruction of the bottom sensors cannot cause such behavior. If you put your hands within two inches beneath the drone while it is hovering, it will just keep hovering. If your hand is further down, the drone will bounce up. I tend to believe its a software glitch.
exactly this is why this came so unexpected to me :)

I’ll offer a wild guess just for the fun of it. If it was foggy enough the downward sensors could have detected the fog as a viable landing surface and started to land. If you also have the landing lights set to auto them turning on might explain the high current draw.

I’ll offer a wild guess just for the fun of it. If it was foggy enough the downward sensors could have detected the fog as a viable landing surface and started to land. If you also have the landing lights set to auto them turning on might explain the high current draw.
It was foggy, this is 100% sure. When I safely landed, the sensor's Downward infrared sensor glass seemed to have gathered humidity.
But the question still remains. The moment autoland kicked in, I was trying to gain altitude by keeping the left stick high.

View attachment 89618
Maybe related, but doubt it. All but one of the voltage drops are very similar when the vertical change indicates climbing... expected behavior. Differences may have been related to forward/backward/sideways movements that coincided, but this posted log does not show those.

While fog often causes this, when the vision height sensor reads very low and down throttle is applied, that's not what happened here:

Climb.png

The sWave height is over 5 meters, and no down throttle is applied.

The cause is a flightAction of 42 which, rather ironically, I don't know the meaning of.

Status.png

The pilot did cancel it with a DropLanding flight command using the pause button.

@BudWalker - any idea what flightAction = 42 means?

While fog often causes this, when the vision height sensor reads very low and down throttle is applied, that's not what happened here:

View attachment 89645

The cause is a flightAction of 42 which, rather ironically, I don't know the meaning of.

View attachment 89646

The pilot did cancel it with a DropLanding flight command using the pause button.

Sorry, not a clue.

Reactions: sar104

View attachment 89645

View attachment 89646

Interesting ... in CsvView the flightaction is only shown as "Unknown"
Some kind of SW-glitch after all?

Interesting ... in CsvView the flightaction is only shown as "Unknown"
Some kind of SW-glitch after all?
That's CsvView or DatCon saying that it doesn't know what flightAction = 42 means. It's not an indication that the FC doesn't know.

EDIT: Sorry, in this case it's the .txt to .csv converter that doesn't know what flightAction = 42 means

Last edited:
Reactions: slup and sar104

Your comment:

"My understanding is that auto landing can only be triggered by low battery and it definitely can't be canceled."

Yes you can cancel the auto landing by working with the left joystick to keep the drone in the air, while trying to fly it to a place you can land on, you can keep it in the air until the battery is down to 0%.

Your comment:

"My understanding is that auto landing can only be triggered by low battery and it definitely can't be canceled."

Yes you can cancel the auto landing by working with the left joystick to keep the drone in the air, while trying to fly it to a place you can land on, you can keep it in the air until the battery is down to 0%.

To be precise, you cannot cancel smart battery autolanding, but you can delay the descent as you described.

Reactions: TTP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661