DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom even be able to takeoff after September 16 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJI could easily implement a firmware update that requires the M2Z to communicate over the internet to the DJI servers and verify that my UAV has RID compliance before it will allow the motors to start spinning. If I was taking off in a remote area with no cellular signal then it would just sit there on the ground with flashing lights and the props not spinning. I'm not saying that DJI actually wants to do it since they hate RID as much as consumers do, but it could easily be done.
But if you don't instal the update that causes problems and ensure that the screen device's wifi is off when you boot the app how is anything going to know that there is an update waiting etc.?

But you are so far down your paranoid rabbit hole, nothing anyone says is going to make any difference to you.

Go type in the phrase "Laser Printer Yellow Dots" into Google and read about something that was NEVER intended for the public to know about it. It was a secret agreement between printer and photocopier manufacturers and governments. That just tells you I ain't paranoid about these things, but just well aware of all the shady things going on that we aren't supposed to know about.

I get it, for some folks the pressure is mounting as we approach the date. This is a big deal for some and it's not usual for a few people to start to panic. Please calm down. :eek:

There is justifiable reason to panic. I don't want my $1,300 drone to suddenly be a pricey paperweight on Sept. 17, 2023

There is justifiable reason to panic. I don't want my $1,300 drone to suddenly be a pricey paperweight on Sept. 17, 2023
Why don't you just chill out and wait until September 17th and see if that happens. If for some inexplicable reason it does, then you can come here and raise hell about it, for all the good that'll do - about like the good this thread is doing anyone.

If that answer is yes might I remind you that there are members here that work closely with the F.A.A. These members that work closely with the Gov. sign agreements that pretty much makes it mandatory to report your admission of Flying beyond line of site to the FAA -( sort of like a police officer when they observe a crime or a mandatory reporter in child welfare.) So I would be careful about admitting a crime on an Internet Forum.
That sounds rather fanciful.
I doubt that it's true.

That horse has already left the barn; the time to be concerned about RID was way earlier. Not much we can do about this now. It's all about risk and at this point, it doesn't seem to be a huge risk that your drone will be grounded. In fact, there are other more risky situations where you could have trouble flying including your government placing restrictions on usage. That can happen any day of the week, all year long.

If your equipment is disabled or destroyed or confiscated or whatever you want to call it, if the government does this to you, it wouldn't be the first time. As an American fighting the good fight, you need to get use to this possibility especially when you are dealing with the CCP. Recently I had to destroy two items that I bought legally and then the government changed their mind and decided that they were illegal to possess. It's not unheard of.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Why don't you just chill out and wait until September 17th and see if that happens. If for some inexplicable reason it does, then you can come here and raise hell about it

Because I have to plan ahead for the worst case scenarios. I already have some obligations involving my drone for late September and can't just use any other drone because I need autonomous waypoint ability beyond controller range.

It's obvious you never spent any time in the military because otherwise you'd know all about "contingency planning" --- which is "if plan A doesn't work out, then you better have plan B in place, and then a plan C backing up plan B"

Last edited:
In fact, there are other more risky situations where you could have trouble flying including your government placing restrictions on usage. That can happen any day of the week, all year long.

That's basically what I'm worried about --- the govt. telling DJI to ground my aircraft because I haven't met compliance.

There's too many people in here with over-confidence in add-on modules like the Dronetag Beacon. That is a temporary Band-Aid at best. I also don't think the govt. will be OK with waiting for older drones like the P3/P4 series and Mavic 2 to slowly phase themselves out of existence. That could take another 5-10 years.

Because I have to plan ahead for the worst case scenarios. I already have some obligations involving my drone for late September
So planning ahead is coming here and complaining about the inevitable? Planning ahead would be to go here and pre-order one of these:

One doesn't have to have been in the military to know about and practice plans B and C

There's too many people in here with over-confidence in add-on modules like the Dronetag Beacon. That is a temporary Band-Aid at best. I also don't think the govt. will be OK with waiting for older drones like the P3/P4 series and Mavic 2 to slowly phase themselves out of existence. That could take another 5-10 years.

This is not how I understand the solution to be represented. From what I've heard, there are 3 distinct solutions and two of them are 1) standard RID and 2) broadcast RID. Neither of them serve as a temporary solution and for sure, it's not effective for just only 1 day before the government calls it quits. FAA agreed to allow manufacturers to forgo the standard RID without consequences so it would be very very unlikely they change their minds.

Keep in mind, last year the FAA told manufacturers to stop manufacturing drones without standard RID, there was a cutoff date. This implies that starting in 2023, all new production is compliant and "over the year" all equipment prior to 2023 will eventually phase out. Yes it could take 5-10 years but for sure, the FAA is aware of this. So naturally the same would apply with adding the broadcast module because the broadcast module does not increase the lifespan of the drone; it only keeps it flying during it's serviceable period. Makes sense?

Finally, there has to be a million drones under 250g that join the non-compliant drones to forever populate the airspace with drones that do not have RID. It's a thing and it will never go away anytime soon and the FAA knows this. However, no one is worried the FAA will change their mind and mandate sub-250g drones to require RID, why not?

Reactions: Cafguy and umanbean
There is nothing in the RID rules that say a fine can be imposed if an add-on module falls off during flight
NOT in the RID rules BUT in the FAA regulations- failure to properly attach an object to an aircraft is illegal and could net you fines in the six figures.
MAN, You are panicking about RID, when you should be educating yourself on aviation regulations and Piloting skills AND YES ----IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure your drone is Airworthy that includes your RID module and weather it is working or not.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you never heard about the "Laser Printer Yellow Dots" conspiracy theory floating around in the 1980's and 90's that was proven to be true in 2004? Go read about it and then tell me that manufacturers don't do things that would break trust with their customers, because it happens all the time.
It was a tracking mechanism intended to be used to identify and track counterfeiters. A serious violation of privacy rights, but an effective tool.

If anyone plans on printing and posting manifestos calling for violence or the overthrow of the government, don't buy your printer with a credit card.

One company doing "A" does not mean that another company, in another industry, will do "B"

Reactions: Cafguy
Keep in mind, last year the FAA told manufacturers to stop manufacturing drones without standard RID, there was a cutoff date. This implies that starting in 2023, all new production is compliant and "over the year" all equipment prior to 2023 will eventually phase out. Yes it could take 5-10 years but for sure, the FAA is aware of this. So naturally the same would apply with adding the broadcast module because the broadcast module does not increase the lifespan of the drone; it only keeps it flying during it's serviceable period. Makes sense?

Yeah it makes sense but I gotta believe a lot of prudes over at the FAA have to be nervous about all those P3 and P4 Phantoms flying around with or without a Dronetag Beacon attached to it. Those older drones were the most hazardous to manned aircraft because of their size and weight. I'm sure if there was a way for DJI to prevent all those older clunkers from flying, then the FAA would surely mandate that in a heartbeat.

It was a tracking mechanism intended to be used to identify and track counterfeiters. A serious violation of privacy rights, but an effective tool.

If anyone plans on printing and posting manifestos calling for violence or the overthrow of the government, don't buy your printer with a credit card.

Yeah but the gist of my argument is that large companies will conspire against consumers all the time in secret. The other poster said that DJI "would never betray our trust". Does anyone think the large photocopier and printer manufacturers cared about trust betrayal when they colluded in secret with the govt. to implement the yellow microdots? What about all the stories about Apple tracking our every movement via our iPhones and handing that info. over to the Feds without just cause or warrants? That's why I think DJI does have a "back door" connection to ALL our drones (dating back to the the Phantom 1 in 2013) and can shut us down anytime they want.

Yeah but the gist of my argument is that large companies will conspire against consumers all the time in secret. The other poster said that DJI "would never betray our trust". Does anyone think the large photocopier and printer manufacturers cared about trust betrayal when they colluded in secret with the govt. to implement the yellow microdots? What about all the stories about Apple tracking our every movement via our iPhones and handing that info. over to the Feds without just cause or warrants? That's why I think DJI does have a "back door" connection to ALL our drones (dating back to the the Phantom 1 in 2013) and can shut us down anytime they want.
Well, they do. And the US government also can do they same; they can turn off the "connection" and effectively ground all DJI drones as well. Right now, governments seem to be doing it thru the legal channels but I don't doubt in extreme times they have the power. So you agree with federal/state/local governments should not be using DJI drones because of this ability to shut them down?

Yeah it makes sense but I gotta believe a lot of prudes over at the FAA have to be nervous about all those P3 and P4 Phantoms flying around with or without a Dronetag Beacon attached to it. Those older drones were the most hazardous to manned aircraft because of their size and weight. I'm sure if there was a way for DJI to prevent all those older clunkers from flying, then the FAA would surely mandate that in a heartbeat.
I would agree....if this were about "safety." ;)

I need to know a very basic thing -- will my Mavic 2 Zoom even get six inches off the ground on the morning of September 17 ??

I assume DJI will enforce a mandatory update that will force me to connect to WiFi every time I attempt a takeoff so they can "verify" whether my bird has Remote ID compliance or not, right? If not, then my bird just sits there with flashing lights and the props not spinning!

I did not spend all this money on DJI drones for the past 10 years just so that government over-reach can force me to behave like I'm some kind of criminal and can't even fly a little plastic toy 20 feet over my backyard. This is FASCISM, folks!
How many things do you own to enable you to have a perfectly normal life that requires some sort of registration. For example , a driving license, a firearm licence , any sort of insurance, all these require you to register all your details before they will issue you with the correct certificate to enable you to carry on with everyday life. However you can illegally own and drive a vehicle, own and fire an illegal gun. Are you implying that to legally own and use such items by conforming to the laws of your country is Fascism. I live in the U.K. and as far as I am aware I conform to all the required forms of registration to enable me to use the things I want to use without fear that I am breaking the law. Conforming to and respecting the laws of your Country makes you a respected citizen not a lawbreaker. Laws only work when people respect them , if you think that a Law is wrong you can try to persuade the lawmakers of your country that it is, assuming you live in a free Democratic country. If I thought that RID was wrong I would keep badgering my local MP in the hopes I can get it changed, but for me to solely refuse to comply with the RID would be a waste of time, what should happen is to petition my Government, it needs a certain amount of signatures, to debate and hopefully change whatever needs changing, conforming to the laws of your country is not fascism it’s common sense. For example, The law states that I can only drive at 30 mph that is not fascism. Most laws are based on common sense, most lawbreakers seem not to have any, cheers Len

There is nothing in the RID rules that say a fine can be imposed if an add-on module falls off during flight
There is nothing in the RID rules that say your drone will be grounded if non compliant.
But you sure running fast with that falsehood.

Last edited:
That's why I think DJI does have a "back door" connection to ALL our drones (dating back to the the Phantom 1 in 2013) and can shut us down anytime they want.
While I am a huge ORWELL fan Myself, I would not worry to much about DJI switching the worlds drones off.
DJI is just a Chinese Drone company- Heck I used to buy cloned RC helicopter parts from them before they built Drones. DJI does not dictate what happens in the drone industry they just sell ALOT of Drones.
There are many drones you can purchase besides DJI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo