DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Bouncing in the air

Reactions
This evening I took a walk and took the drone with me to create some aerial shots. A short time after take off, the rear of the drone started to 'bounce' heavily in the air. It wasn't that high above open fields, but scary anyway. It's like the front part of the drone was 'locked' to a specific position, while the rear part was falling down. Literally. Eventually, I did some stick movements and it stabilized itself.

I won't provide logs, but have looked into them using Flight Reader and I found nothing special. The only weird thing is that during the bouncing, the 'Cell Deviation' went up from +/- 0,025V to spikes with +/- 0,090V. (Which I would expect - it needed extra power to restore it's position).

Could this be the equivalent to air pockets in regular aviation? Or is there something else at play here?

I'm flying drones for years now, and it is the first time I witnessed something like this...

Edit: I should add that it had a solid GPS lock (around 22 satellites) and was using the most recent firmware.

Last edited:
Was the drone close enough to something that the OA sensors could have been triggering? Was the drone hovering or moving horizontally?

Without logs folk can only offer guesses.
If you wish to conceal location etc. delete the contents of the data cells in the relevant columns of the aircraft csv but leave the columns and the column titles and upload the resulting csv to a hosting site, make the page public and post a link to that page.

Reactions: jmaganaski
Without logs folk can only offer guesses.
If you wish to conceal location etc. delete the contents of the data cells in the relevant columns of the aircraft csv but leave the columns and the column titles and upload the resulting csv to a hosting site, make the page public and post a link to that page.
Good catch - I was indeed concerned about my privacy. The logs has been stripped from all location and serial data and uploaded here.

Good catch - I was indeed concerned about my privacy. The logs has been stripped from all location and serial data and uploaded here.
It's hard to tell what you've done to that data, but it's not useful to anyone wanting to look into your issue now.

I‘ll watch this to see if the cipher experts can pick it apart.
Hopefully I’ll learn something.

It's hard to tell what you've done to that data, but it's not useful to anyone wanting to look into your issue now.
Do you have a copy of the data, if so and if poss could you PM it to me please or upload it to somewhere from where I can download it?
I am just curious to see how it looks. I couldn't down load it using safari and now, on windows, the file appears to have been deleted.

You might like to try
1) saving the file as a txt rather than a csv
2) open it with notepad++
3) replace all commas with a full stop (Whatever produced it looks to have substitued a comma "," for a decimal point ".")
4) replace all semi colons with a comma ( the semi-colon seems to be used as the de limiter, what ever "delimiter" means lol, I don't know why 'they' can't call it a field separator etc. )
5) save the file as a csv
6) open it with excel etc.
The results looks much more sensible, however I haven't worked out if it is sensible. edit I think it works

Attachments

• pitch elevator speed height.png
    pitch elevator speed height.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You might like to try
1) saving the file as a txt rather than a csv
2) open it with notepad++
3) replace all commas with a full stop (Whatever produced it looks to have substitued a "," for a decimal point ".")
4) replace all semi colons with a comma ( the semi-colon seems to be used as the de limiter, what ever "delimiter" means lol, I don't know why 'they' can't call it a field separator etc. )
5) save the file as a csv
6) open it with excel etc.
The results looks much more sensible, however I haven't worked out if it is sensible. edit I think it works
The idea that data needs to be removed for "privacy" is silly.
Just leaving the flight data unmolested is much better if someone needs their data analysed.

Reactions: Jbizzle
Some people dont want their location broadcast, it's personal choice, nothing more, nothing less,

Do the results look sensible to you?

Some people dont want their location broadcast, it's personal choice, nothing more, nothing less,
It's pointless ... no-one cares where someone flew and very few forum members could read it anyway.
Those that can read it have seen where hundreds of people have flown and it's just another location.

It's pointless ... no-one cares where someone flew and very few forum members could read it anyway.
Those that can read it have seen where hundreds of people have flown and it's just another location.
If the flight is from his home, I can understand his concern about not wanting to post a data file for analysis containing the exact location of his home on the internet. Once the flight is analyzed, maps from the data file often get posted in the thread that anyone can read.

If the flight is from his home, I can understand his concern about not wanting to post a data file for analysis containing the exact location of his home on the internet. Once the flight is analyzed, maps from the data file often get posted in the thread that anyone can read.
County tax maps show the exact location of our homes and a lot more information about the property and the owner. Phone books (if you can still find one) publish the exact address.

What is the concern about including location information in a flight log if the flight didn't intrude into prohibited or restricted airspace?

Isn't the discussion meant to be about whether or not anyone can see a problem with the drone in the data that has been provided?
Personally I understand the OP's desire for privacy it's his choice.
I am on the wrong computer at the moment but from memory of the data in the unscrambled csv the absence of coordinates and serial number does not affect what can be deduced from the csv, maybe @slup can see something in the data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas