DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Features Missing or Will Never Be

Well at least they put something on the page about the update not being available until January
They could of done nothing period.
If people would do some research about the M3 before hitting the buy it now button,their would
be no whining.
Of course they should of had it fully ready to go ,especially at that price.
But thats not how it worked out
Wow come January they will have it fully functional.
DJI knows what they are doing,otherwise they would not own 70% of the market.
Too much complaining on here about this,settle down lol.
Frustrating as hell....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-131137.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-131137.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
It's absolutely not plain as day, they advertise the features with a small [10] which if you click will not take you to the footnote instead it opens a promotional video for the feature, you have scroll further down the page to find very small text warning the feature isn't available until January 2022.

I like a lot of what you have to say, but I have to respectfully disagree with this. The first time I looked at the M3 page, which is also the first google result if you search for the drone, took me to a single page that can be easily read in 2-3 minutes. The superscript numbers were not hard to see, and the bottom of the page very clearly contains the relevant footnotes, which takes an additional 30 seconds or so to read. Further to this, you don't have to visit a secondary page to see the footnotes, nor do you have to expand anything to view the footnotes, which are common tactics elsewhere. Nothing is actively hidden from you, and I don't know of any other company that would instead have those footnotes front and center in huge bold letters or whatever. There is nothing special about my eyesight or reading ability whatsoever, and I had no problem finding the footnotes the very first time I visited the M3 website.

If you made an assumption based on prior drone purchases that certain features would be available at launch, I think that is a fair comment, but then I also think it's fair for DJI to make a similar assumption that a customer will read what they have to say about the product before purchasing it, which is arguably the most basic form of product research.

If someone is spending $3,000+ and can't even be bothered to visit a webpage or do a few minutes of reading, I think that comes with a certain level of buyer risk. Furthermore, if there were features so important to someone that they would be deal-breakers if they didn't have them, why on earth would you not take a few minutes to verify that prior to purchasing? You could ask on forums, you could ask DJI, or you could read the webpage - whatever it took to be absolutely sure. Spending that kind of money on a whim or based purely on assumptions and then blaming DJI for one's own willful lack of due diligence doesn't make any sense to me. If you think DJI's FAQ or other information is unclear, confusing or misleading, why not get clarity before purchasing? There isn't a company out there that is going to advertise the least desirable aspects of their products front & center, and footnotes are an extremely common way of addressing limitations or caveats across virtually all industries.

Even if you learn this after the fact, you are welcome to cancel the order or return the product. I am even more surprised by the people who proceed to actually use the drone and compromise their ability of a refund before taking a few minutes to verify something that is such an important feature that it is a deal breaker for them. I certainly understand the concept of buyer's remorse, but at some point the customer needs to accept some responsibility. I have never bought anything in my life to serve a specific purpose without first verifying that the product can actually do what I want it to do.

Finally, nobody is harmed by this. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the product. It's clear there are many people who already own the M3 and are thrilled with it's launch-day capabilities. If DJI chose to release the product in January or later, these people would not be enjoying their M3's right now and that wouldn't benefit either party. If you want the drone early, great, you can have it with some caveats. If you don't want to bother with it until all features are operational, great, buy it later, but then don't complain that some people got it before you did (of course I don't mean "you" specifically). There is literally no downside to what DJI is doing as it objectively satisfies the largest number of customers while simultaneously maximizing their sales. If the drone was purchased through any normal retail channel, anyone who is disappointed can return it - again, no harm done.

Also, DJI is probably trying to get as many sales in before year-end as they can for their financials as well as capitalize on the Christmas season, which isn't unusual. That very likely played a role in when they chose to release the product. I know my opinion may be an unpopular one but I think the vast majority of disappointment could have been completely avoided with an extremely basic level of due diligence which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation of the customer given the price point of these drones.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I like a lot of what you have to say, but I have to respectfully disagree with this. The first time I looked at the M3 page, which is also the first google result if you search for the drone, took me to a single page that can be easily read in 2-3 minutes. The superscript numbers were not hard to see, and the bottom of the page very clearly contains the relevant footnotes, which takes an additional 30 seconds or so to read. Further to this, you don't have to visit a secondary page to see the footnotes, nor do you have to expand anything to view the footnotes, which are common tactics elsewhere. Nothing is actively hidden from you, and I don't know of any other company that would instead have those footnotes front and center in huge bold letters or whatever. There is nothing special about my eyesight or reading ability whatsoever, and I had no problem finding the footnotes the very first time I visited the M3 website.

If you made an assumption based on prior drone purchases that certain features would be available at launch, I think that is a fair comment, but then I also think it's fair for DJI to make a similar assumption that a customer will read what they have to say about the product before purchasing it, which is arguably the most basic form of product research.

If someone is spending $3,000+ and can't even be bothered to visit a webpage or do a few minutes of reading, I think that comes with a certain level of buyer risk. Furthermore, if there were features so important to someone that they would be deal-breakers if they didn't have them, why on earth would you not take a few minutes to verify that prior to purchasing? You could ask on forums, you could ask DJI, or you could read the webpage - whatever it took to be absolutely sure. Spending that kind of money on a whim or based purely on assumptions and then blaming DJI for one's own willful lack of due diligence doesn't make any sense to me. If you think DJI's FAQ or other information is unclear, confusing or misleading, why not get clarity before purchasing? There isn't a company out there that is going to advertise the least desirable aspects of their products front & center, and footnotes are an extremely common way of addressing limitations or caveats across virtually all industries.

Even if you learn this after the fact, you are welcome to cancel the order or return the product. I am even more surprised by the people who proceed to actually use the drone and compromise their ability of a refund before taking a few minutes to verify something that is such an important feature that it is a deal breaker for them. I certainly understand the concept of buyer's remorse, but at some point the customer needs to accept some responsibility. I have never bought anything in my life to serve a specific purpose without first verifying that the product can actually do what I want it to do.

Finally, nobody is harmed by this. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the product. It's clear there are many people who already own the M3 and are thrilled with it's launch-day capabilities. If DJI chose to release the product in January or later, these people would not be enjoying their M3's right now and that wouldn't benefit either party. If you want the drone early, great, you can have it with some caveats. If you don't want to bother with it until all features are operational, great, buy it later, but then don't complain that some people got it before you did (of course I don't mean "you" specifically). There is literally no downside to what DJI is doing as it objectively satisfies the largest number of customers while simultaneously maximizing their sales. If the drone was purchased through any normal retail channel, anyone who is disappointed can return it - again, no harm done.

Also, DJI is probably trying to get as many sales in before year-end as they can for their financials as well as capitalize on the Christmas season, which isn't unusual. That very likely played a role in when they chose to release the product. I know my opinion may be an unpopular one but I think the vast majority of disappointment could have been completely avoided with an extremely basic level of due diligence which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation of the customer given the price point of these drones.
You nailed it
Have a great day

You are right, people should not contribute to this behaviour of DJI of releasing this early access software drone in buying it for the full price. But they are ...

However, if DJI would really bother, there would not be a number long fine print for things that is absolutely basic and standard in this sector, even for their top of the line 3rd generation Mavic. Because they would have finished everything properly before selling it.

But that's just me, baffles me how those functions and hardware things are like a "it's our first drone and we will make it even better after feedback from our customers" in your face.

It feels kind of strange to get all those super edited shots in their promotional videos but none for missing features yet to be implemented. That feels unbalanced. But sure thing, legally, they told you in the fine print and yet you need to hope they get their schedule right. 😆

You are right, people should not contribute to this behaviour of DJI of releasing this early access software drone in buying it for the full price. But they are ...

However, if DJI would really bother, there would not be a number long fine print for things that is absolutely basic and standard in this sector, even for their top of the line 3rd generation Mavic. Because they would have finished everything properly before selling it.

But that's just me, baffles me how those functions and hardware things are like a "it's our first drone and we will make it even better after feedback from our customers" in your face.

It feels kind of strange to get all those super edited shots in their promotional videos but none for missing features yet to be implemented. That feels unbalanced. But sure thing, legally, they told you in the fine print and yet you need to hope they get their schedule right. 😆

On the topic of footnotes, just for fun, have a look at what some other players in the camera industry do. Here is a good example:

The sheer number of footnotes/caveats is something to behold (click on the superscript numbers after each description). I count 35 of them on the main page and at least 43 including the specifications, but I may have missed some. Not all of them are limitations, but many are, at least relative to the perceived ability of the advertised feature they directly relate to haha. Basically, anything remotely negative is removed from the main description and placed in a footnote.

All jokes aside, that camera is wildly popular and has been sold out consistently since it's launch nearly a year ago, but everyone plays the same games to some extent.

@CanadaDrone
There is certainly no illusion that other companies don't use such tricks for their advantages. However it reached a new level of using the customer for non-finished products lately (not only by DJI, look at all the publishers in the video game industry).

They do unfortunately. It's no surprise that DJI is doing it for their success, but that's what I tried to tell: they heavily invest in marketing and all this fancy videos and influencers but on the other hand nearly disclose features we had on previous models from the start or are still in development. What others do can't be an excuse for doing shabby or wrong things yourself.

I know, unpopular opinion nowadays.
I just hope, all the early birds will get their updates and promises are kept. 😆

I don’t often read a thread from beginning to end as I have here. Interesting and diverse opinions for sure. I’ll limit myself to a couple of observations.

One of the previous commenters remarked that the M3 is a drone for professionals …. Speaking as a commercial operator my answer would be that if it is true that there will be no native support for host processed waypoint missions then “no it’s not”. It may be a good drone for professional photographers and videographers but there are so many other roles a professional needs the aircraft to meet in inspection and mapping for example where waypoints are needed and in the minds of many of us a “virtual sticks” solution just isn’t. I had great hopes when all of the early leaks indicated a hybrid hardware/software shutter solution like the P4P also and saw myself retiring my P4 fleet and M2Pro but alas that does not seem to have eventuated. The lack of those two features relegates the M3 to the title of the worlds most expensive consumer drone, probably the best comsumer drone ever but let’s not kid ourselves that it’s anything else.

I’m probably still going to own one eventually but it’s a lower priority than say that P4P RTK I’ve been looking at.

On the other point of currently missing features, please allow me to use an analogy.

DJI have become banana vendors. They are selling their product green and allowing it to ripen with the customer. Honestly, as it was pretty obvious that the banana was green before I took it down off the shelf if I just took the time to look at the fruit closely I really don’t have too much problem with that as long as it ripens before it rots.

Regards
Ari

How is it a botched release if you are fully aware of the limitations/upcoming features before making a purchase decision? What they are doing is very common procedure across many industries and is done because it always satisfies the largest number of people. Those customers chomping at the bit to get one are able to with knowledge of the missing features, and people who require one or more of the missing features are free to wait or buy something else. No harm is being done whatsoever.

Unless DJI is forcing people to buy the drone, or actively advertising these features are in fact available at launch when they are not, they aren't doing anything wrong or anything most other electronics companies don't already do.

I have been buying digital cameras for over 15 years and not a single one of them has been "complete" at time of purchase. As a particularly relevant example, I just placed an order for a Nikon Z9, and it has a list of significant features to be added sometime in 2022 via firmware. There is nothing unusual about that. I got a new vehicle back in September, and there are certain features promised via dealership updates down the road that are unavailable despite the vehicle having the hardware capability from the factory. Home theater equipment is regularly sold with the same promises of added features/compatibility sometime down the road - sometimes these aren't even free upgrades. Computer parts are another example of an industry that does exactly what DJI is doing - motherboard, GPU and CPU manufacturers regularly advertise features that will eventually be available, but are not on release day.

There is no real downside to what they are doing. For the sake of this discussion, let's say the drone will have the promised features by February, 2022. The people who require those features are going to wait until February 2022 regardless so they haven't lost anything, those who don't require them receive a very capable drone ~3 months earlier, and DJI gets the M3 to market as early as possible. It's a win for every party involved. If the drone was not released until February 2022, a significant portion of their customers would be pointlessly left waiting. and that isn't good for either them or DJI.

It seems to me that the people most upset by this want to have their cake and eat it too, which is not how much of the electronics industry works. There will also almost certainly be bugs/issues that no reasonable amount of testing will have discovered, and that is what warranty and additional firmware updates are for. People will always be unhappy about something but this is common practice.
I'm trying to hold off on upgrading until this RFID issue is worked out. I have found little detailed information on how the RFID is supposed to work. Either no one really knows, or the manufacturers and FAA aren't talking. If anyone has some detailed information on the RFID issue, please post a link.

On the topic of footnotes, just for fun, have a look at what some other players in the camera industry do. Here is a good example:

The sheer number of footnotes/caveats is something to behold (click on the superscript numbers after each description). I count 35 of them on the main page and at least 43 including the specifications, but I may have missed some. Not all of them are limitations, but many are, at least relative to the perceived ability of the advertised feature they directly relate to haha. Basically, anything remotely negative is removed from the main description and placed in a footnote.

All jokes aside, that camera is wildly popular and has been sold out consistently since it's launch nearly a year ago, but everyone plays the same games to some extent.
Great example because it demonstrates how footnotes should be used and it's completely different to what DJI have done. Sony aren't hiding anything there at all and it's mainly minor clarifications, there's no important data crucial to a buying decision and the A1 did not launch with any major features missing and they're certainly not promising any major features with swish promotional videos that are missing from the camera either.

I can see why DJI have done the bare legal minimum to cover their backs for the early release but how anyone can fail to see how blatantly anti-consumer and unreasonable is far beyond me especially giving an example like this misses the point by several country miles and then some.

Last edited:
Oh boy, there is no failure here,gee I dont know there seems to be enough people that have the M3
and have accepted the firmware delays.
There is still plenty of function here to make it much more than usable.
Sure it is not perfect,what new drone release is when the product hits market.
But I guess you have your opinion and I have mine so be it.
All good things take time,and as I mentioned before no one has any patience anymore
And is more than willing to bash what will be an excellent drone early next year.
Done.
Thats great if they get it all done in January. Most people are nervous, Im sure, after spending 3 to 5 grand. They could have temporary used the old active track so thats why it doesnt feel right. I think they were worried and didnt want the release date mudded up with the whole skiidio thing.
Thats what "first day buyers" get when you could have waited till the 2nd day and would have known about the issues, Ya cant just trust that it will be better than the much cheaper Skudidilyo. These things are hard to do and have pushed us to the limits of our technology. I think weve reached a plateau and the next drone release might have no improvements and well upgrade to a different color or shape. We should enjoy these times of technical advancement cuz now it gets harder and harder and a drone that breaks the sound barrier will certainly cost way too much and only the super rich will buy it, only cause they think theyre getting a great deal. People, ENJOY your drone flights

Sony aren't hiding anything there at all and it's mainly minor clarifications, there's no important data crucial to a buying decision…
What crucial buying data is hidden/missing from the M3 product page?

By the way how do you like you mini,I may switch to a mini drone before remote ID starts in 2023.
I have the original Mini and like it a lot. I use it purely for recreational purposes and it does everything I need it to, especially with all of the added features offered by third-party apps.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
Thats great if they get it all done in January. Most people are nervous, Im sure, after spending 3 to 5 grand. They could have temporary used the old active track so thats why it doesnt feel right. I think they were worried and didnt want the release date mudded up with the whole skiidio thing.
Thats what "first day buyers" get when you could have waited till the 2nd day and would have known about the issues, Ya cant just trust that it will be better than the much cheaper Skudidilyo. These things are hard to do and have pushed us to the limits of our technology. I think weve reached a plateau and the next drone release might have no improvements and well upgrade to a different color or shape. We should enjoy these times of technical advancement cuz now it gets harder and harder and a drone that breaks the sound barrier will certainly cost way too much and only the super rich will buy it, only cause they think theyre getting a great deal. People, ENJOY your drone flights
I hope not everyone will try to compare the M3 when fully updated to the skydio ,which I would not waste my money on.
But thats a topic for another day.
Anyway you are certainly right about technical advancement,where do they go from here.
a 4/3rds sensor size,is this going to be the limit before it gets too big to put in a drone.
I will be interested to see how far they can push technology in the mini class drones.
I am not really bashing Skydio,but it has a few things on it I dont like,biggest is that
Parrot controller.and WiFi, plus non folding.But the color and style look really neat.
I am not sure the camera is that great for just photography usage.
Anyway you have yourself a great day.

Disagree, DJ failed here by not having some simple things like Panos ready for release day.
While I am disappointed that automated 360° panos are not yet ready, especially since that is my primary intended use for the extra 5-10 minutes of flight time, I can certainly shoot them manually in the interim, or use my M2P instead, while waiting for the automated panos to be added in January. I'm happy to have the 7x optical zoom to play with, while "exploring" and "surveilling" from afar with extra flight time to linger! 28x dynamic zoom seems almost obscene! Better not show it to the neighbors!

I just took delivery of my $60,000 Lexus
The dealership says I will get my side view mirrors , my GPS map, and my side sensors in January but my lease payments start immediately . Oh, and the spare tire will cost extra.
The pride of ownership and the status you will enjoy in the interim will be unaffected by the minor missing features upon delivery. Too bad it didn't come with Runflat tires like my BMW. No spare tire needed. More room in the trunk!

Last edited:
Ray at DCRainMaker posted a video discussing missing and half baked features on the initial Mavic 3 release. It also includes a link to a spreadsheet of 42 items that will or will never be implemented as well.

Some of the notable items missing is ActiveTrack, MasterShots, Spotlight, and POI (these are scheduled to be implemented in Jan '21), and no "Pro" settings for the secondary camera (tele). As with the MA2 and A2S, waypoints will not be available. The 4G dongle will not be sold in the US/UK/EU due to government restriction on 4G use.

First off, really well done video.
Secondly...Waypoints...no plans? Wow! That's disappointing.

First off, really well done video.
Secondly...Waypoints...no plans? Wow! That's disappointing.
Here we go again with the endless list it seems of the missing features.
Which by now everyone is aware of,and what will be included in
firmware updates in Jan. of 2022.
I am not buying DCRainMakers list of missing features.
If there are 42 items which I do not believe ,then every other DJI
drone has missing features as well.
DJI says a big firmware update in Jan. 2022 to add missing features.
The people that ordered the M3 should have done more homework
before ordering right away.
Half baked features DCRainmaker said,I did not hear him whining about
the wind capability and camera.
This is just one youtuber,there are many out there that love the M3
and know about the missing features,and are willing to have patience and wait for them.
Done

I have to say I was close to ordering right away, without having a clue about the missing features. Im not to fuzzed about the firmware update coming later. Im not using most of those features. I was assuming my smart remote would work and that the M3 would be running 4 not Fly.
Due to covid I have got accustomed to order things at launch to at least have a chance to get my hands on the product with out too much delays. (I have waited 6 months for ebikes during covid). Luckily I was busy shooting and couldn’t order the M3 right away. I will hold in to my M2 for a little longer.
DJI did another completely hopeless product launch (IMHO) a few weeeks earlier. The new action cam is absolutely useless for the type of work I do. Internal battery AND storage, and if you add one of the modules (that has a sd slot and extra battery) the camera is no longer waterproof.
Hats of for DJI trying new things, but personally I think they messed up this time around.
PS. I’ve had lots of different drones from DJI and been very happy with them. I love the Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2

I have to say I was close to ordering right away, without having a clue about the missing features. Im not to fuzzed about the firmware update coming later. Im not using most of those features. I was assuming my smart remote would work and that the M3 would be running 4 not Fly.
Due to covid I have got accustomed to order things at launch to at least have a chance to get my hands on the product with out too much delays. (I have waited 6 months for ebikes during covid). Luckily I was busy shooting and couldn’t order the M3 right away. I will hold in to my M2 for a little longer.
DJI did another completely hopeless product launch (IMHO) a few weeeks earlier. The new action cam is absolutely useless for the type of work I do. Internal battery AND storage, and if you add one of the modules (that has a sd slot and extra battery) the camera is no longer waterproof.
Hats of for DJI trying new things, but personally I think they messed up this time around.
PS. I’ve had lots of different drones from DJI and been very happy with them. I love the Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2
I think if it was not for the upcoming Christmas holidays,they would have waited for a January
2022 release and have everything ready with the firmware updates.
Hard to say why they did this,maybe some pressure to release the M3 before Autel comes out
with their evo 3,which even if it was announced on paper no one would get the product in their
hands for probably 4 months after,or pressure from the public to get this drone out,who knows.
But I will give dJI credit they had the M3 available for the dealers to start shipping on release day.
This is where Autel always seems to really screw it up.
So in ending I would gladly take what is currently an outstanding drone but have to wait patiently for firmware
updates.And knowing when I place my order it will be shipped out shortly.
Over putting in a preorder and have to wait for months before the drone I ordered gets shipped.
That in my mind is messed up and bad business.
Respectfully I kinda disagree with you on the messed up part.
But no big deal.
Have yourself a great day

Reactions: Point Zero
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming