DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

So the base model is $400 higher than the Mavic 2 Pro? Seems like quite a leap from the previous pricing strategy. They'll send a LOT of business to Autel if the new EVO line is at all cheaper.

Reactions: Sully53
They aren't going to sell a lot . . . here in Australia at least.
The top level translates to AU$6397.00
Flymore AU$3851.00
Basic AU$2820.00

You can bet though that the AUD price WILL be somewhat higher again, usual for such consumer products, distribution and market size . . . then the Aussie tax (higher retail margin) will be added too no doubt.

• Wow
Reactions: 4006448 and Sully53
We won’t really know what it will cost till it comes out now will we.
I pay little attention to any speculation on prices untill DJI puts them out there. I certainly hope it’s not that high.

I know, this sounds odd, but this price tag and still no clue about European Certification ...

99 % it's not going to have it on release and spending all that money for a potential post certification ... nah, that must be the most awesome drone EVER.

Another thought would be: due to shortages, they mave have not an abundance of drones, so why not sell it higher for the first months to catch the early birds (even with different packages) and reduce it with stable supply chains in Q1 2022 and on ...

Last edited:
The cost is relevant to use. If this is a tool that makes an income the price is irrelevant since it is the tool that completes the job just like the even more expensive drones out there for movie production. If this drone is for hobby then yes, that is a lot of money for something an average user would not gain real benefit from. Personally, my home movie and photo collection will be fine with the Air 2S or Mini 2. I would like a Mavic 3 just because it has fantastic specs but its priced above my means for use. Yep, its expensive but only for some.

If I sold my Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, and smart controller I could almost get into the fly more combo. Ha.

That very high price for the Mavic 3 Cine might be true based on all what the Cine package comes with such as 1 TB of internal storage and Apple ProRes. Just Google these 2 things and see how much DJI is selling them for on their website.

So, let me give you my random guess with a few price guesses for you to see what I mean. I will try to guess on the low end than high side.

Here below are the list of some of the things the M3 Cine package comes with. I have left out some more stuff that you can add to this list and so add to this price which may make this package even more expensive. But these are just the few I can list that seem to make the price that high, but remember these are just my random guesses on prices and I try to stay on the low end. Also, remember I have not listed a few other things that comes in the package that could add to this price.

So, my guess on why the M3 Cine Package may be that expensive;

DJI Mavic 3 = $1,600
DJI Pro Smart Controller 2= $750
8 DJI ND filters $100
2 extra batteries = $250
DJI CineSSD 1TB = $1,600
Apple ProRes = $500

TOTAL = $4,600

The price above is my guess on the low end of prices. Then imagine if you add all of the other accessories coming with this package and then still guess on the low end. Maybe it seems to justify why the M3 Cine might be a package that would cost above $4,500, when tax is added to the package at checkout.

What do you guys think?
gCUQZin.jpg

RP66Pov.jpg

I think that it goes without saying the Mavic 3 (or whatever it maybe really called when it ships) will be more expensive then its predecessor for a number of reasons..

However speculating and just assuming that its going to be priced as the article states is just that, speculation, till a real price sheet is leaked or the announcement is made, its all a guess... other than we know its going to be closer to $2K to start and the Fly More will be over $2K and Cine package with the extras noted, will be for a very select customer that needs that kind of storage and wants or needs ProRes.

No one should be surprised that its going to be expensive..

I think that it goes without saying the Mavic 3 (or whatever it maybe really called when it ships) will be more expensive then its predecessor for a number of reasons..

However speculating and just assuming that its going to be priced as the article states is just that, speculation, till a real price sheet is leaked or the announcement is made, its all a guess... other than we know its going to be closer to $2K to start and the Fly More will be over $2K and Cine package with the extras noted, will be for a very select customer that needs that kind of storage and wants or needs ProRes.

No one should be surprised that its going to be expensive..
just give me a package that has 3 batteries and a smart controller. I can deal with SD cards....

From the link in the first post, the most recently "confirmed" rumor of Mavic 3 prices posted on DJI Portal and confirmed by Drone XL is listed below as the most true price we will likely see;

Mavic 3 base = $2,049
Mavic 3 Fly Higher Combo = $2,799
Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo = $4,649

Take it with a grain of salt, but Done XL claims this to be almost 100% what you will see as the prices when the prices are released by DJI.

So, get your wallets ready. I personally wish to get the Fly Higher Combo and then buy the smart controller as a stand alone.

But how much is that V2 Smart Controller? $1,000? Will it even be in stock to sell as a stand alone? Or will they only sell it as part of the Cine package so as to boost the sale of that package?

If the Cine has built in SSDs, it will probably be extremely expensive (current pricing estimates seem realistic for that), but I think for most people wanting that, the fly more combo + separate smart controller purchase will keep things around $3.3K which is likely a very fair price looking at the leaks. Fingers crossed.

That means around $4K CAD for me :eek:

There's also a small chance you will be able to use the existing SC on Occusync 2.0, but I don't know enough about 3.0 to know if it's backwards compatible or not. Knowing DJI though most likely not haha.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
That 1TB SSD pricing seems a bit outrageous... especially when you can buy a reasonably fast SSD for $95 USD.

It depends on what SSD(s) they use and what interface it uses, and what R&D costs DJI feels they need to recoup, especially if the chassis for the SSD and non SSD versions are significantly different which would require another set of tooling/molds, etc. M.2 SSDs in general vary a lot, some have built in DRAM, the cheaper ones do not, and that is a big difference. The type of flash storage (TLC, MLC, etc.) has a significant effect on both cost and drive endurance/longevity as well. Secondly if they use a PCI 4.0 interface (not necessary though for the bitrates) it would also make them more expensive. And lastly, anytime you get a computer component installed by an OEM, it is going to be more expensive than what you can find for that individual part elsewhere - just look how Apple price gouges people for example, sometimes charging 3-4X retail for basic component upgrades like SSDs and RAM. I wouldn't expect DJI to be different.

Also, the Cine price includes the smart controller, two complete filter sets, carry bag, etc. all of which DJI can charge for even though many of those things are incredibly high margin. So the increased price isn't just for the SSD(s), should that rumor turn out to be true.

If the rumored prices are true, and if they sell the SC separately, I think a popular thing to do will be the fly more combo + SC and then pick up some filters or whatever else you need separately for cheap.

Last edited:
It depends on what SSD(s) they use and what interface it uses, and what R&D costs DJI feels they need to recoup, especially if the chassis for the SSD and non SSD versions are significantly different which would require another set of tooling/molds, etc. M.2 SSDs in general vary a lot, some have built in DRAM, the cheaper ones do not, and that is a big difference. The type of flash storage (TLC, MLC, etc.) has a significant effect on both cost and drive endurance/longevity as well. Secondly if they use a PCI 4.0 interface (not necessary though for the bitrates) it would also make them more expensive. And lastly, anytime you get a computer component installed by an OEM, it is going to be more expensive than what you can find for that individual part elsewhere - just look how Apple price gouges people for example, sometimes charging 3-4X retail for basic component upgrades like SSDs and RAM. I wouldn't expect DJI to be different.

Also, the Cine price includes the smart controller, two complete filter sets, carry bag, etc. all of which DJI can charge for even though many of those things are incredibly high margin. So the increased price isn't just for the SSD(s), should that rumor turn out to be true.

If the rumored prices are true, and if they sell the SC separately, I think a popular thing to do will be the fly more combo + SC and then pick up some filters or whatever else you need separately for cheap.
I'm basing my NVME on the packaging of the DJI SSD. It just looks too much like an NVME format, right down to the SATA looking connector. DJI could build their own SSD, but that would be an expensive path for one drone model. Using COTS parts makes a lot more sense for something so generic as a disk.

Reactions: Rudiger
My air2 s will do me just fine for now lol,,,,,,,,, :eek:

Reactions: aicneneb
I have been waiting for the release of the Mavic 3 BUT after seeing the prices that were posted today
I am not sure I am even interested any longer......if these prices are right on I really think that DJI is
biting themselves in the butt. When I got the Mavic Pro 2 and spent over $2,400.00 I thought that was crazy BUT I have really enjoyed the Mavic Pro2 as it produces great video and photos. Now I was expecting a price increase BUT not as much that has been posted. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde