DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 battery firmware

nuggetz

Reactions
Just had a flight where it started off with a firmware update being required for the battery I put into the drone. Later in the flight I got a chip overheated error. Not sure this is linked. Had a near crash. I put my other battery into the M2A and it didn't prompt for a firmware upgrade on that battery. Anyone have insight on how the battery firmware is rolled out? I checked my battery info on airdata and both batteries were manufactured on the same day which is Apr 16th, 2020. I dont see any way to discern the level of firmware from one battery to another.

Just had a flight where it started off with a firmware update being required for the battery I put into the drone. Later in the flight I got a chip overheated error. Not sure this is linked. Had a near crash. I put my other battery into the M2A and it didn't prompt for a firmware upgrade on that battery. Anyone have insight on how the battery firmware is rolled out? I checked my battery info on airdata and both batteries were manufactured on the same day which is Apr 16th, 2020. I dont see any way to discern the level of firmware from one battery to another.
I purchased the fly more package and did an update on 1 battery only as prompted but the other 2 haven't given me an option

Reactions: J2ps
If you bought the Air 2 Fly More Combo I would recommend that you number the 3 batteries, to aid in tracking charging, rotate usage or monitor issues. I had initial battery firmware prompts at delivery and also charged each battery singly, on the wall charger, before charging multiples on the 3-way bank. All going well, so far. Safe flying.

Reactions: rcmatmat
If you bought the Air 2 Fly More Combo I would recommend that you number the 3 batteries, to aid in tracking charging, rotate usage or monitor issues. I had initial battery firmware prompts at delivery and also charged each battery singly, on the wall charger, before charging multiples on the 3-way bank. All going well, so far. Safe flying.

Yep, my batteries are numbered and being tracked with Airdata. Can't say I had a flight on this battery before but I may have had it in the drone while playing around with software settings and never noticed the firmware update til this morning before my problem flight with the overheating chip. So sounds like the firmware didn't just come out today.

10-4 on the single battery charging thing outside the hub. I just happened to only charge two of the 3 batteries in the fly more kit using the hub but I believe I had connected both of them to the single charger before using the hub so the bricking issue didn't affect me. Good to know tho. DJI should have emailed people about this.

Reactions: Maviczoomboy
Anyone have insight on how the battery firmware is rolled out?
DJI Fly will display a message if a battery firmware update is available. You'll also see a message if using the DJI Assistant 2 application with a battery that needs to be updated.

FYI for the future -- when battery firmware updates are released, DJI usually mentions that in the firmware release notes.

I dont see any way to discern the level of firmware from one battery to another.
Right, the battery firmware version is displayed anywhere.

Do you remember error code or may be you could replay saved flight to make screenshot?
And have you noticed any actual overheating of drone parts?

Craft didn't feel hot or anything when it landed or at least I didn't notice anything. Here is the log. Wish we could read the .dat files. I'm sure they contain more detailed information:

Flight time
Altitude​
Home DistTypeNotification
A00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
B00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftWarningNo SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)
C00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftModeMode changed to Motors_Started
D00m 00s0.0 ft0 ftTipSetting new Return-To-Home altitude to 20m (66 ft). Data Recorder File Index is 14. Setting new Maximum Flight Altitude to 60m (197 ft)
E00m 01s0.0 ft0 ftModeMode changed to Assisted_Takeoff
F00m 06s0.0 ft1 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
00m 31s36.7 ft62 ft
airdata-kml-bat-90p.png
90% Battery
03m 25s169.0 ft907 ft
airdata-kml-bat-80p.png
81% Battery at maximum distance
03m 39s169.0 ft905 ft
airdata-kml-bat-80p.png
80% Battery
G05m 12s47.2 ft24 ftModeMode changed to ActiveTrack
H05m 45s47.6 ft27 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
06m 46s67.6 ft100 ft
airdata-kml-bat-70p.png
70% Battery
I06m 59s68.2 ft102 ftModeMode changed to Go_Home
J07m 15s68.2 ft67 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
K07m 16s67.3 ft67 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
L07m 34s81.0 ft194 ftModeMode changed to Go_Home
M07m 52s81.4 ft66 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
N07m 53s80.4 ft66 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
O08m 15s80.7 ft65 ftModeMode changed to PANO
P08m 36s79.7 ft64 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
Q08m 57s80.1 ft62 ftModeMode changed to PANO
09m 49s80.4 ft63 ft
airdata-kml-bat-60p.png
60% Battery
R09m 53s80.4 ft63 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
S11m 37s78.4 ft145 ftModeMode changed to Go_Home
T11m 38s78.7 ft143 ftWarningAircraft processor overheated. Automatically returning to home (Code: 30185) No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)
U11m 47s79.1 ft79 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
V11m 48s79.1 ft76 ftWarningNo SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)
W11m 56s54.8 ft72 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
X11m 57s54.5 ft72 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
Y11m 58s52.5 ft64 ftModeMode changed to P-GPS
Z11m 58s52.2 ft63 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
a12m 00s47.2 ft37 ftModeMode changed to Go_Home
b12m 01s46.6 ft35 ftWarningAircraft processor overheated. Automatically returning to home (Code: 30185) No SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)
c12m 13s49.5 ft66 ftModeMode changed to AutoLanding
d12m 14s48.9 ft67 ftWarningNo SD card. Insert card (Code: 10022)

Do you still have this error while using another not updated batteries?
It looks like it's not battery related issue.

Yes, I dont think its battery related. I only mentioned the battery since that kept the drone on the ground without airflow while it was upgrading. However, I'd be curious to know how many people can let their mavic air 2's sit on the table in a climate controlled room and test 4K 60FPS recording. I just tried on two different batteries in my house with the airconditioning on and both times I could not record longer than a few minutes at 4K 60FPS without the processor overheating message being displayed. I know these are meant to fly but I think if people in hot weather pause and upgrade firmware in the field or do any prolonged activity that heats up the quad before the flight might be in more risk of the processor overheating. I may create a poll on this to see if Air 2 owners are able to reproduce this. Perhaps not too many people filming at 60FPS 4K but I think doing this simple test would be a good baseline to see how many of us overheat. Is this something you can try?

Yes, I dont think its battery related. I only mentioned the battery since that kept the drone on the ground without airflow while it was upgrading. However, I'd be curious to know how many people can let their mavic air 2's sit on the table in a climate controlled room and test 4K 60FPS recording. I just tried on two different batteries in my house with the airconditioning on and both times I could not record longer than a few minutes at 4K 60FPS without the processor overheating message being displayed. I know these are meant to fly but I think if people in hot weather pause and upgrade firmware in the field or do any prolonged activity that heats up the quad before the flight might be in more risk of the processor overheating. I may create a poll on this to see if Air 2 owners are able to reproduce this. Perhaps not too many people filming at 60FPS 4K but I think doing this simple test would be a good baseline to see how many of us overheat. Is this something you can try?

I think any device doing 4K 60 video encoding just generates a lot of heat. My GoPro Hero 7 (and Hero 8) will overheat and shutdown on a table too if recording in that mode for an extended period of time.

I think any device doing 4K 60 video encoding just generates a lot of heat. My GoPro Hero 7 (and Hero 8) will overheat and shutdown on a table too if recording in that mode for an extended period of time.
That sucks. I know the gopro camera has the word "Go" in it but lots of people use them for youtube and whatnot. I would expect one to be able to film at the advertised framrate/resolution without having to worry about the device overheating. Especially dangerous on a quadcopter.

That sucks. I know the gopro camera has the word "Go" in it but lots of people use them for youtube and whatnot. I would expect one to be able to film at the advertised framrate/resolution without having to worry about the device overheating. Especially dangerous on a quadcopter.

It's not really an issue on a quadcopter or any other outside use at speed (like motorcycles, etc.) since the airflow ends up dissipating the heat.

I've just sent mine back, also had the firmware battery thing but mine was coming up with the overheat error constantly.

There were times where the drone was stone cold and saying it was over heating and times where it would just begin to overheat if it sat on the ground too long before taking off.

They got it yesterday at the DOA centre so I'll let you know the outcome if you like.

Hi all, had my Air 2 up for it's 1st flight yesterday and I have similar issues with chip overheat message. If it helps, this is my experience...

When I opened the box (fly more combo) a couple of days ago to check the contents I immediately put all 3 batteries on charge, as well as controller. Once charged, I plugged one battery in to the Ma2 and powered it on because I'm sad and I wanted to see how the leds looked. Upon powering up, the fan in the drone kicked in and drone connected to controller fine with no warnings... It was good to fly. Weather was poor so I declined to take it up and instead thought I'd check if there was a firmware update that needed doing in the mean time. There was (aircraft firmware v.01.00.0130). After this update finished the drone powered back on, but i noticed the fan didn't come on this time. Packed it up, fast forward to yesterday - took it out for my 1st flight... Powered everything up, connected, then a chip overheat warning. Left it for a few minutes, powered up again and it took off and had a great flight, decent amount of video and sport mode flying, getting somewhere between 25 and 30 mins flight time. Down to 17% battery so landed to swap out for a fresh one (no battery firmware upgrades installed) and... Chip overheat warning again. And still no fan. Didn't fly again as I couldn't get it to "cool down" enough to lose the warning (although drone didn't feel hot anyway). Took it home, battery still plugged into it, and after maybe 30 mins of being on my table indoors the drone did feel hot underneath, near the sensors/led. Contacted dji, explained the above and asked if it could be a firmware update that has caused the fan to stop activating... They said drone is faulty, send it back to shop for replacement. Am awaiting response from shop regarding replacement.

I will update as situation unfolds, hope this might help point you in the right direction?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan