DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air battery mod

I think I should open a small adjustment in Dji Assistant on the computer, reduce the "landing" voltage from 3.0v to 2.5v.
That's pretty extreme. If you set it to 2.5V, it will undoubtedly crash before then, as even 3.0V drops precipitously fast, and continuing flight will usually destroy the battery, even if you manage to grab it out of the air before the battery can no longer sustain flight.

That's pretty extreme. If you set it to 2.5V, it will undoubtedly crash before then, as even 3.0V drops precipitously fast, and continuing flight will usually destroy the battery, even if you manage to grab it out of the air before the battery can no longer sustain flight.
No, this won't happen. I've done a few flights with these settings when I was flying 10km.

My opinion is that it didn't make much of a difference. But it didn't spoil it either.
The battery controller has not locked up. I flew on this battery for a long time that year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-06-06-50-08-75_d11ae654701a5fadb313ea6fa9a6836f.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-06-06-50-08-75_d11ae654701a5fadb313ea6fa9a6836f.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
No, this won't happen. I've done a few flights with these settings when I was flying 10km.

My opinion is that it didn't make much of a difference. But it didn't spoil it either.
The battery controller has not locked up. I flew on this battery for a long time that year.

My experience is based upon the 4S batteries from the P4P, the Mavic 2, and Mavic 3. The 3S battery from the Air 2 may be more tolerant, especially when the cells remain well balanced and close in voltage. Any large variance in a single cell is problematic when you take them down that low. Don’t ever try flying on partially auto-discharged batteries. That's the kiss of death.

How many minutes of flight past 0% remaining battery did this flight represent?
2.5 minutes past 0% is the farthest I have experienced, before the drone could no longer sustain flight. Once it dropped below 3.0V per cell, at 2 minutes past 0% battery, the voltages dropped like a rock!

That's the kiss of death.
At that time, I was interested in making a distance record. It's okay to risk one battery. I gained experience, began to understand where my limit is. The cost of the battery is a small price to pay for experience.
Contrary to my expectations, the battery has not deteriorated. In the winter I changed it to 4S for Mavic Air.

At that time, I was interested in making a distance record. It's okay to risk one battery. I gained experience, began to understand where my limit is. The cost of the battery is a small price to pay for experience.
Contrary to my expectations, the battery has not deteriorated. In the winter I changed it to 4S for Mavic Air.
Technically, risking a battery and the drone, as when the battery fails, the drone drops like a stone!

How many minutes of flight, past 0% remaining battery, did this depicted flight represent?

ВYou can see everything in the video.

26:10 total flight time.
0% reached at 24:07.
2 minutes 3 seconds past 0% remaining.
But why were you flying in Sport mode for a distance record?
P mode is the optimal distance maximizing flight speed.
Sport mode is the least efficient flight speed for total distance.

It took 22 seconds for the voltages per cell to drop 0.32V from 3.01V to 2.69V!
You were mere seconds from reaching 2.5V!

Best to include the lowest cell voltage on the main screen so you can monitor it more closely. It's a setting in the GO 4 app.

In the case of the Mavic Air, no voltage was output. In Go4, this could be done on the Mavic Pro and others.
About the speed. I did a lot of experimenting with choosing the optimal (!) speed. Through the program, Assistant 2 reduced the speed in Sport mode.

In the case of the Mavic Air, no voltage was output. In Go4, this could be done on the Mavic Pro and others.
About the speed. I did a lot of experimenting with choosing the optimal (!) speed. Through the program, Assistant 2 reduced the speed in Sport mode.
So what speed did you select?

In calm weather 48 km/h
That's 30mph. Now I understand why you selected Sport Mode, as I had forgotten that the max Normal speed is only 24 mph on the Mavic Air. On all other DJI drones, the optimal speed for long distance was the maximum Normal or P mode speed, which was right at 31 mph, yet Normal speed was limited to only 24 mph on the Mavic Air. I suspect the optimal long distance speed on the Mavic Air is therefore closer to 24 mph than 30 mph. However, only testing can confirm this hypothesis.

Reactions: Slawaw
I suspect the optimal long distance speed on the Mavic Air is therefore closer to 24 mph than 30 mph. However, only testing can confirm this hypothesis.
Any theory must be proved by practice. I flew 10 km and came back. Other users can prove their theoretical calculations in real flights 🙂

Any theory must be proved by practice. I flew 10 km and came back. Other users can prove their theoretical calculations in real flights 🙂
Indeed. However, there is a reason DJI lowered the Air 2 P/Normal speed max to 24mph. I'm just suggesting that you could have gone farther at 24mph than at 30mph, assuming transmission range was not an issue. 10km for an Air 2 is good, but had you not been flying at an inefficient 30mph (for the Air 2), you likely wouldn’t have needed to take the battery to well below 0% to accomplish it. Why did you choose 30mph? Had you first tried 24mph, and were not satisfied with the results?

I made about 50 test flights. Testing speed, height, climb rate, smoothness of ascent, signal quality. Recorded data, analyzed battery consumption with a wattmeter.

I made about 50 test flights. Testing speed, height, climb rate, smoothness of ascent, signal quality. Recorded data, analyzed battery consumption with a wattmeter.
So, from your recorded data, what was the difference in total distance distance when flown at 24mph vs 30mph, all else being equal?

So, from your recorded data, what was the difference in total distance distance when flown at 24mph vs 30mph, all else being equal?
1-1,5 km over a total distance of 20 km

1-1,5 km over a total distance of 20 km
That's a relatively small difference that could easily be attributed to other factors like differences in wind, temperature, and variances among different batteries (# of flights, degree of prior battery "abuse", percentage of useful life remaining), and differences in battery starting voltage and ending voltage.

How exactly did you control for all those other factors that had to have varied between your 50 test flights, other than just the flight speed? Unless all those other factors were all identical, which would be nearly impossible, it's very difficult to attribute the difference in total distance only to the flight speed, especially when your results are well within the margin of error that all those other factors could easily cause.

I will not argue. But my Air flew these 10 km, taking into account all factors. And your? 🙂

I will not argue. But my Air flew these 10 km, taking into account all factors. And your? 🙂
Asking for details in how you conducted your 50 test flights isn't arguing. I am not disputing your flight in any way. I am only questioning your separate conclusion that 30mph results in a longer flight distance than 24mph, when all other variables are properly controlled for. When conducting a scientific test, one needs to control for all other variables, other than the one to be tested, which in this case is total distance. The confidence level in the results completely depends upon the margin of error in the control of each of those different variables. Otherwise, you have a mere corellation instead of a causation. Just because A follows B doesn't mean that A caused B.

For example, did you use the exact same battery for each of the 50 tests?
If not, how can you be sure a 5% difference wasn't due to a difference in the original starting battery mAh on the battery, or landing before complete battery exhaustion?
If you did use the same battery, the more you abuse it, the shorter subsequent flight times will be, shortening total distance at any speed.
Did you fly all flights from fully charged to the exact same 2 minutes and 3 seconds past 0%, like this 10km away flight?
Most importantly, how did you decide when to turn around in each of the 50 flights?
Did you not make it all the way back on any of your test flights?
How did you control for wind and temperature and humidity differences among 50 different flights, which had to have been conducted on many different days?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada